Apple lengthens Australian warranty policy, but doesn't want to talk about it

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Someone hit the quote button instead of edit. image

Happened all the time. I hate this damn forum. :)

• Reply 22 of 52
    ... Ill be sure to keep a link to this article for the next time people outside the u.s. want to complain about paying more for apple products. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 24 of 52
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

2 Year warranty should be the minimum on all of Apple's products, but especially their computers! Considering the premium that Apple charges I am frequently amazed that they only offer one year. And yes, before anyone points out that you can buy Apple Care I feel you shouldn't have to. When you pay nearly £2000 for a computer you expect more in all areas not just the design of the product but the support too.

• Reply 25 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Considering the premium that Apple charges…

Your implication that they cost more than a comparable system is humorous. I thought we'd gotten over that long ago.

But no, I think they should just offer 3 years of AppleCare standard. Not for your reasons, but simply to kick everyone else in the industry in the crotch.

• Reply 26 of 52
    teepzoteepzo Posts: 13member
    People please. This is the Sydney Morning Herald (SMH), their technology writers have a strong anti Apple bias. Their head technology writer travels overseas as guest of Samsung.

Without knowing, the context of the email about not "discussing the changes" I think we should wait to see what their longer term attitude is.

eg Like in the US legal issues can arise if things are not communicated accurately, so a heads up that things are changing, but waiting for correct implementation could explain this.

Its interesting that the SMH doesnt publish the whole email that they say they have. They only use selected words from the email. Which given their past would tend to give the impression, they are taking something a little out of context, or at best spinning it out, to be more sinister than was intended.

Par for the course for this publication.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I've bought plenty of Apple products and the warranty and its length have never been mentioned through the sale. Why should it be any different in Australia?

• Reply 28 of 52
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

What a load of bullshit, almost everything sold in Australia comes with a standard 12 month warranty, EVERYTHING, from any manufacturer as can be easily seen by checking any retailers site.

e.g. http://www.samsung.com/au/support/warranty/warrantyInformation.do ;

Vodafone already gives 24 months warranty on iPhones they sell, that's a voluntary arrangement, which also cover other handsets they sell which also come with the usual 12 month manufacturers warranty.

• Reply 29 of 52
    Your implication that they cost more than a comparable system is humorous. I thought we'd gotten over that long ago.

But no, I think they should just offer 3 years of AppleCare standard. Not for your reasons, but simply to kick everyone else in the industry in the crotch.

Apple does charge a premium, they're a premium product company. I didn't bring in the old Apple is a rip off chestnut, you did.

Apple makes far more margin per computer sold then any of their competitors & should offer a superior level of service to coincide with their premium niche.
  • Reply 30 of 52

I didn't bring in the old Apple is a rip off chestnut, you did.

By saying they charge a premium, you did.

Apple… …should offer a superior level of service to coincide with their premium niche.

They do. That's why they're always rated highest in those categories.

• Reply 31 of 52
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I finally stopped paying hundreds for in-ear phones (usually only got the one replacement before the warranty was over) and while they did sound better than Apple's in-ear phones for the prince of $79 Apple's option wasn't that bad. Plus, I like that Apple's cord is about 10-12" shorter than the other brands, which is a big reason they came apart as they oft got snagged on doorknobs and whatnot.

I run the cords inside my shirt, no snags.

• Reply 32 of 52
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Quote:

2 Year warranty should be the minimum on all of Apple's products, but especially their computers! Considering the premium that Apple charges I am frequently amazed that they only offer one year. And yes, before anyone points out that you can buy Apple Care I feel you shouldn't have to. When you pay nearly £2000 for a computer you expect more in all areas not just the design of the product but the support too.

That's why I buy with AMEX and get the warranty doubled and don't spend on Applecare. I take the risk to save a few bucks. Seems these days Apple laptops are built very well. They did have lots of issues with iBooks and logic boards on the MacBooks. We had one iBook in the shop about 4 times. The 5th time, they gave us a brand new iBook, even though our warranty was expired.

I don't know if we pay a premium on MacBooks these days. MacBooks are pretty competitive with what is out there.

Beats the old days circa 1990 when Apple only gave 90 day warranties.

• Reply 33 of 52

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I run the cords inside my shirt, no snags.

Now that I have both Bluetooth headphones and a Dock Connector Bluetooth dongle, I just wear my iPod nano on my wrist and go to town. 

The sound quality is worse than I would have thought, which was depressing, but it's not wretched so I have to live with it.

• Reply 34 of 52
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Why hide it? I would praise on high the built-in extended warranty. Be up front. I know it costs you some profit but you're offering it so you might as well be direct about it and market it to increase business.

Praise it? This should be the default standard warranty coverage on all electronics in this price range. If companies want to proclaim product superiority, it would help if they willingly stood behind the product for 2 full years. Not covering customer damage, unless that kind of coverage is paid for. Just the manufacturing result, reliability & function of the product. The more expensive a product, the more coverage it should have.

But no, the computer industry gets away with zero warranty on software and often less than a year on hardware, when this industry is well known for product that is rushed to market and never fully debugged. The industry makes special pleading for exemption and society just bends over and takes it. This has to change. This CAN change if people seek it!!
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Warranties cost money to fulfil.
    Simple as that so if the customer's writes off the device through ignorance shareholder prosper more.

If Apple match the talked about quality with real facts then is costs good money.
  • Reply 36 of 52

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

This should be the default standard warranty coverage on all electronics in this price range.

According to what?

• Reply 37 of 52
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I really think Apple should do that. My experience with Apple products is that after the first year the only thing that might fail is the battery in their laptops (this was with their removable batteries). And even then they repair them even outside the warranty in most cases. Apple care could be offered as an extension to 3 years warranty with phone support and priority repairs.
  • Reply 38 of 52

In UK products are required to be "fit for purpose" and be of "merchantable quality", if you buy a product that fails sooner than you reasonably expect it should you can seek recompense through the small claims court. The court will make a judgment based upon the individual circumstances of the case, in the case of consumer electronics (including computers and mobiles) on average the period is a little over two years, for domestic appliances nearly three years.

The consumer's contract is with the retailer who can not pass off responsibility to the manufacturer, basically from the retailer's point of view you sold defective product you stand by your judgment in offering it for sale, if you erred you make good. All American and many international companies and even UK companies try the 'one year warranty' scam on with consumers, a brief hard word to the supervisor/manager of the store is usually all that it takes to get the right thing done.

If the product shows signs of abuse, misuse or more than the expected 'fair wear and tear' the retailer is justified in refusing recompense, the consumer can take up their claim via the court if they feel strongly enough about it. In the UK the claimant is usually liable for the defendants costs should they lose which reduces (almost eliminates) flippant claims.

The US system, often described as 'the customer is king' is typical corporate newspeak. Three months warranty on supposedly durable goods, what a joke. The reseller claiming they have no responsibility for the goods that they sell and referring their customer to the manufacturer, farcical.

Apple of all manufacturers/resellers can step up to the plate better than most and should set an example, if people were aware of their rights and returned all that Dell/Android/Samsung/HP junk Apple would shine and profit even more.

I have always found Apple most honorable in this regard, though I have never had problems in the 2 - 3 year timescale with their own products other kit I have bought from Apple Store has failed after the 'one year warranty' and they have done the right thing with minimal persuasion. Apple kit is great, I still use a G4 I bought in 2001, never failed, my main machine is a 2009 iMac which I recently (after 3 years+) replaced the hard drive and optical drive otherwise no problems.

Yes AppleCare does give additional benefits, from my point of view the added cost of insurance does not make sense.

• Reply 39 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I didn't bring in the old Apple is a rip off chestnut, you did.

By saying they charge a premium, you did.

They do charge a premium, average is what 35% profit, heck outside of the US it's probably closer to 45%. But, I did not say that they were charging more than a comparable premium PC, you are the one that brought that analogy up.

From my point of view if a company, any company, sells a premium product then the whole experience and after care service should match the price tag. Apple gives excellent service when an item is in warranty, but when you pay around £2000 for a computer I think it's reasonable to expect a longer warranty.

If I bought a £300 off the shelf PC from PC World I wouldn't expect 5 years plus useful life out of it and I'd accept the 12 month warranty.

It's not that I cannot afford to buy Apple Care, to me it's simply the principal.

• Reply 40 of 52
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

So in other words...Apple just wants to be childish about it. 

They do seem to lack a bit of professionalism in such situations. But I was under the impression Tim Cook had taken steps to improve this.