BlackBerry CEO calls Apple's iPhone user interface outdated

Comments

• Reply 181 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Except for readers like me, who block Google.

And readers like you should be banned for using AppleInsiders services and not paying them for it when you block Google ads. If you want to be on the web you need to either support AI and deal with Google ads or find another site that allows a paying membership.

Pathetic.

• Reply 182 of 291
    jumejume Posts: 209member

I agree here... there should be something done with the apps launcher and home screen. Since now days we have tens and hundreds apps installed I really have pain finding the right app. I usually launch apps so I swipe left to get the search bar and then type in the app name to find it and launch it... I mean there's gotta be better way of doing that... I know what you will say, put your apps on home screen, there you have it 1 tap away... Well true but not so easy, because you cant have 50 apps there. Folders are more or less useless, you always forget what is where. So when in need to launch app ASAP the search thing is really the way to do it.

Maybe it's just me but I would agree here. Apple needs to step up and improve things. 90% of UI is perfect, but the app launcher and home screen, there's so much place for improvement.

• Reply 183 of 291
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

And readers like you should be banned for using AppleInsiders services and not paying them for it when you block Google ads. If you want to be on the web you need to either support AI and deal with Google ads or find another site that allows a paying membership.

Pathetic.

Then shouldn't you be banned from watching TV? Tell me you don't skip commercials when watching TV or a recorded show with your Tivo box or DVR.

Hypocritic.

• Reply 184 of 291

Quote:

I'm glad you mentioned that! Google Play has thousands of icon sets to download. There are a ton of creative options out there. Even third party complete crooks stealing iOS designs. There are actually a lot of really great ones. That's the beauty of Android. As was my original point. You can't bash the look of Android because there are so many options out there that it is easy to create a beautiful looking home screen (Not including the one below per my personal preference)

I was lazy and picked the first result in Google images.

That looks really fugly. An eyesore. (Sorry that I had to repost it).

If this is an example of one of the "great ones" you Androiders can keep it.

• Reply 185 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Then shouldn't you be banned from watching TV? Tell me you don't skip commercials when watching TV or a recorded show with your Tivo box or DVR.

Hypocritic.

I don't have cable. I pay for Netflix. Nice try tho.

And supporting a free AppleInsider site by simply allowing ads is not even on the same planet as skipping commercials for a cable company that you pay for and gives you a DVR for free.

• Reply 186 of 291
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    I still find the interface delightful. I mean that word, "delightful". It's intuitive and colorful and fun and acts as expected. I don't find myself wanting.

On computers (and now TVs) everywhere are still rectangular areas of information (call them windows, panes, live tiles, whatever), pointers and icons and highlight states. They still work.

I don't mean to say that Apple shouldn't innovate, shouldn't continue to study the relationship between device and user. I mean the argument presented, without qualification of any sort, is just useless.
  • Reply 187 of 291
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    I actually prefect the Android icons. I'll post this screengrab again because there are so many comments I don't want you to miss it. 

Edit: Too many pics. See above. Sorry.

Comes down to aesthetics. You prefer cartoons, I prefer designs.

Cartoons ARE more energetic, so I can see why some nervous systems are more engaged by them. I'm repelled by a grid of random-edged visual shouts competing with each other. Others get off on them. It's not exactly a matter of taste, but it is a matter of tolerance or habituation.
  • Reply 188 of 291
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I just took a quick screenshot of my iPad screen which shows a similar row of icons, and the difference to me is significant.

Maybe it all comes down to style and taste in the end, but Android looks too cluttered, the icons look ugly and iOS just looks nicer and more elegant.

Don't agree the this looks nicer but they're basically the same...rows/columns of icons.  Only difference is Android's is part of the app drawer, not the home screen.

• Reply 189 of 291
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

It's outdated from a fashion standpoint - for those who think the iOS needs to change just so it looks fresh.   It's not outdated from a functional standpoint, because it works quite well, although I can also buy the notion that the startup screen should not necessarily be a list of applications, but something that summarizes news/weather/stocks/activity, etc.       Having said that, Apple used to lead in screen design, use of appropriate fonts and general elegance and even Microsoft and Google are now capable of designs that seem more elegant and/or advanced than Apple's.     I think Apple has to retake that lead.    

There's a screen I can pull down from the 1st app icon screen that frankly, I'm not sure whether it's  part of iOS or came from another app - perhaps the NY Times app, but it has weather at the top, then a frame to make a Facebook post, then stocks, then Facebook listings and then New York Times articles and then it has some flight information.   The only problem is that it doesn't seem to update often - the NY Times articles it's currently showing are 2 days old and the flights it's showing me are almost a month old -- seems to me once taken, the flights should disappear.   But a properly executed version of this probably makes more sense as a startup screen.

• Reply 190 of 291
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Updated icons - would give the sheen of something fresh, without changing the bones of the UI. More info on the lock screen would be useful and getting rid of the skeuomorphics would be nice too. Apart from that iOS is golden.

• Reply 191 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Its an example of one of the worst ones in my opinion. Just used it to point out how many different options there are in Android. This one, below, is more my style. I like to change it up on occasion. Depends on my mood. 

Check some out for yourself!    http://mycolorscreen.com/mostviewed/?time=all

• Reply 192 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

…getting rid of the skeuomorphics would be nice too.

No, it wouldn't.

• Reply 193 of 291
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

I don't have cable. I pay for Netflix. Nice try tho.

And supporting a free AppleInsider site by simply allowing ads is not even on the same planet as skipping commercials for a cable company that you pay for and gives you a DVR for free.

But you would skip commercials if you did subscribe to a TV provider. You can't honestly say that you haven't skipped when you've had the opportunity to do so.

Commercials don't originate solely by the cable company, many are passed through from the networks so that is a hollow argument. 

• Reply 194 of 291

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Its an example of one of the worst ones in my opinion. Just used it to point out how many different options there are in Android. 

(snipped pic)

I realize you're trying to be helpful. But, please. Stop.image

• Reply 195 of 291
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There's not really any evidence that indicates people generally want big displays. But, supposing, for the sake of argument, there were, what exactly about the current UI wouldn't be, to use your term, "fluid" on a larger display?

Apple claims that a bigger display cannot be controlled one-handed (I have an iPhone and and a Lumia, the latter with a larger display, and no problems controlling it, but I trust Apple that some users might have problems), which is why the iPhone has the smallest display in the premium market, as far as I can tell. And yes, there is plenty of evidence that people want larger displays, even many fervent iPhone fans, as you can see by reading many of the forums here.

• Reply 196 of 291
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    nexusphan wrote: »

Its an example of one of the worst ones in my opinion. Just used it to point out how many different options there are in Android. This one, below, is more my style. I like to change it up on occasion. Depends on my mood. 

This goes back to what someone here said about wanting to be entertained by the phone's OS.

The last thing I want to do in life is mess with my phone. To reflect "my mood" even less. There's much to learn during a lifetime . . .
  • Reply 197 of 291
    Seriously...from the head of a walking dead company?! Pot...meet kettle.
  • Reply 198 of 291
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it wouldn't.

Yes it would.

• Reply 199 of 291
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I'll be sure to keep these comments in mind when BB ceases to exist a year from now, or at best manages to get near negligible market share. 

• Reply 200 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Yes it would.

Don't be a fool, and don't be an infant.

"Removing skeuomorphism" removes everything down to and including buttons. Skeuomorphism is RIGHT, both in generic and expanded forms. The design is with what you take issue, not the concept.