Galaxy S4 announcement spurs trade-ins of other Samsung phones, not iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Most customers looking to trade in their current smartphone for a Galaxy S4 are people who already own a Samsung handset, suggesting the new smartphone won't win a significant number of converts from Apple's iPhone.

Gazelle

In an interview with CNBC's "Squawk on the Street" on Monday, Gazelle co-founder and CEO Israel Ganot revealed that phone trades are up about 180 percent since Samsung announced its new flagship Galaxy S4. Most of that increase has been driven by customers who already own Samsung phones, he said.

Trade-in growth takes a much different trajectory when Apple announces a new iPhone, Ganot also revealed, because the company launches the handset about a week and a half after it is announced. In contrast, the Galaxy S4 won't become available for consumers to have for weeks.

As a result, smartphone trade-ins at Gazelle grew 800 percent last year when Apple announced the iPhone 5, a much greater increase than the Galaxy S4 has prompted.

Gazelle

The details from Ganot support figures cited by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller last week. Apple's own research has found that four times as many iPhone users switch away from Android, when compared to Android users who have left the iPhone.

Readers can trade in their smartphones, as well as iPhones, Macbook and other gadgets, through Gazelle and other providers, including eBay, uSell and Amazon, all of which have partnered with AppleInsider. To find out how much your product is worth, you can jump over to the Trade-in tab of AppleInsider's price guides (snippet reproduced below) and simply request your own quote and send in your used device in a pre-paid box provided by the trade-in service of your choice.

iPads

Gazelle Amazon NextWorth eBay usell

Trade in your iPad

Gazelle Amazon NextWorth eBay USell

iPhones

Trade in your iPad

MacBooks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87

Not surprising. High end smartphone buyers will largely stay with the OS they're comfortable with. The S4 will probably get most of its business from people who are upgrading from one of the older or lower end Android phones.

• Reply 2 of 87
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Better to trade in than to trade off. Trade off where? BB, or WinPhone. Can also trade up, to iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 87
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I clicked on the first four Samsung phones that Gazelle buys, and the average price was about $15. image

• Reply 4 of 87
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Those people aren't trading in.

They're updating their phone's OS!!!

;)
  • Reply 5 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Those people aren't trading in.

They're updating their phone's OS!!!

Bingo! :)

• Reply 6 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I clicked on the first four Samsung phones that Gazelle buys, and the average price was about $15. image

What phones where those? Where they high end phones from a year ago or did you notice that you your looking at one of the cheapest phones and trying to be a troll. 

• Reply 7 of 87
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

The s4 was already reviewed and is far from being the best android phone or having something of relevance.

Can the articles about it stop? I Would like something about Apple itself, or something worthy from their competitors (review). Rumors from digitimes, patent disputes, S4 BS, MS BS don't matter to the vast majority of readers.

If you want to talk about the S4, talk about it is target to lesser minds: Pentile screen, oversaturated, bad build quality, 13 MP camera just for the numbers instead of quality, stupid gimmicks.

• Reply 8 of 87
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Samsung does not care what phones people are trading in. Only that people are trading phones in and buying new Galaxy S4 phones. Get over. The S4 is an okay smartphone and will sell millions and earn Samsung billions. Whatever. Time to move on.

• Reply 9 of 87
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

If they are trading in their phone now, what phone are these people going to use while they wait for the S4? image

• Reply 10 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

What phones where those? Where they high end phones from a year ago or did you notice that you your looking at one of the cheapest phones and trying to be a troll. 

You can go and see for yourself. I just clicked on the first four phones on the list. I can't be bothered to keep track of all the million different models of Samsung phones that are in existence. And Gazelle excludes many phones, they only purchase certain models.

I just made up that $15 figure, but I actually went back and calculated the average price of the first four phones that I saw and it came out to $27.50.image

• Reply 11 of 87
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Most customers looking to trade in their current smartphone for a Galaxy S4 are people who already own a Samsung handset, suggesting the new smartphone won't win a significant number of converts from Apple's iPhone.

Which Wall Street will immediately interpret as bad news for Apple. /s
  • Reply 12 of 87
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I find their main page more interesting. They have many separate categories for Apple's products as it's clear they hold their value in ways that is unheard of for CE, but also note that all other cell phones produced by all vendors regardless of the OS are lumped as a single item. On top of that there is no category for non-iPad tablets, and Macs get two separate categories despite their small number of models for each and yet not a single non-Mac PCs category.

Unlocked, flawless Galaxy S III with no water damage is $31*. Move it to the Verizon model and you lose $6.

Now lets compare: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB (AT&T or Unlocked) is $100. Not that much, is it? Oops, I forget to mention that's for a BROKEN iPhone. You move it to just GOOD, not FLAWLESS, and it's over $200. You have to go back to the iPhone 3G that was unveiled almost 5 years ago to get a trade-in price that is on-par with the Galaxy S III which was released only 10 months ago.

edit: * Reading comprehension error regarding water damage noted in a subsequent post.
  • Reply 13 of 87

Would you expect large numbers of BMW owners to switch to Chevrolet?

Then, why would you expect large numbers of iPhone users to switch to Samsung?

• Reply 14 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You can go and see for yourself. I just clicked on the first four phones on the list. I can't be bothered to keep track of all the million different models of Samsung phones that are in existence. And Gazelle excludes many phones, they only purchase certain models.

I just made up that $15 figure, but I actually went back and calculated the average price of the first four phones that I saw and it came out to $27.50.image

Funny. I did the same thing. First four phones on Gazelle were Galaxy Nexus ($115), Galaxy Note ($189), Galaxy Note II ($248) and Galaxy S ($59). All in the 'flawless condition' averaging $152.75.

• Reply 15 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Unlocked, flawless Galaxy S III with no water damage is $31. Move it to the Verizon model and you lose $6.

As much as I can't stand Android, I believe that you made an error.

I clicked on Galaxy S III GT-i9300 factory unlocked, good condition, no water damage, and the price offered was $200.

• Reply 16 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I find their main page more interesting. They have many separate categories for Apple's products as it's clear they hold their value in ways that is unheard of for CE, but also note that all other cell phones produced by all vendors regardless of the OS are lumped as a single item. On top of that there is no category for non-iPad tablets, and Macs get two separate categories despite their small number of models for each and yet not a single non-Mac PCs category.

Unlocked, flawless Galaxy S III with no water damage is $31. Move it to the Verizon model and you lose $6.

Now lets compare: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB (AT&T or Unlocked) is $100. Not that much, is it? Oops, I forget to mention that's for a BROKEN iPhone. You move it to just GOOD, not FLAWLESS, and it's over $200. You have to go back to the iPhone 3G that was unveiled almost 5 years ago to get a trade-in price that is on-par with the Galaxy S III which was released only 10 months ago.

Edit: You may be mistaken.

• Reply 17 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Funny. I did the same thing. First four phones on Gazelle were Galaxy Nexus ($115), Galaxy Note ($189), Galaxy Note II ($248) and Galaxy S ($59). All in the 'flawless condition' averaging $152.75.

When I click on Samsung, the list seems to be in alphabetical order. Maybe your Android device doesn't alphabetize or something.

• Reply 18 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Why are you blatantly lying?

He's obviously not lying, as it would be pretty dumb to lie about something that can be easily checked and verified.

He obviously just made a mistake, it happens. I even corrected him.

• Reply 19 of 87
    I agree..I have a site that buys used and broken apple an android products an Im usually $100 higher then gazelle... Paid4phones.com

Thanx
    Trevin
    910-616-9838 or text me for a quote.
  • Reply 20 of 87
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nexusphan wrote: »

Mea culpa. I put No for water damage but I read it incorrectly as Yes is the affirmative that it is Free Of Water Damage, hence my previous comment as noted in the screenshot below. They don't ask you about water damage on the iPhones I checked.