Apple rumored to launch Retina iPad mini in Q3 2013

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new report claims Apple is gearing up to launch a second-generation iPad mini with Retina display in the third calendar quarter of this year, with a redesigned 9.7-inch iPad also in the works.

The details were reported on Monday by CNYes (via Macotakara), which said that Apple has not seen a significant decline in iPad mini shipments since the device launched in late 2012. In all, Apple is reportedly planning to ship 55 million iPad mini units in calendar 2013.

iPad mini

But Apple has also reportedly cut its shipment projections for its full-size 9.7-inch iPad, the report said, from 60 million units to 33 million. In all, Apple is rumored to have revised its expected iPad shipments downward from 100 million to 88 million.

Those numbers are identical to what was reported by the NPD Group in February, which claimed that full-size iPad sales "collapsed" in January. It's expected that the 7.9-inch iPad mini will become the market leader this year, cannibalizing sales of the 9.7-inch iPad.

Monday's report also indicated that Apple is planning to debut a new fifth-generation iPad with a redesigned aluminum alloy metal chassis. It's expected that the new hardware will feature the a design similar to the iPad mini, with a thinner bezel and lighter frame.

But the report suggested that Apple is likely to face yield problems with its sixth-generation full-size iPad, much like the company saw in ramping up production of the iPad mini last year.

If Apple does launch new iPads in the third quarter of this year, it would be later than was recently predicted by iMore, which has a strong track record in forecasting the company's future product plans. Rene Ritchie also claimed earlier this month that Apple's next iPad mini isn't likely to sport a high-resolution Retina display.

Prior to 2012, the iPad was updated by Apple on an annual refresh cycle. But late last year, the company surprised by launching the fourth-generation iPad about six months after the third-generation model debuted. The hardware was upgraded to an A6X processor and added the new, smaller Lightning port.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    It sounds like they are saying it will debut in the late third quarter *because* of their discovery that iPad mini sales haven't slacked off at all since launch. This is faulty reasoning if true.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    Hope the redesigned iPad 5 comes sooner that the 3rd quarter...I sold my iPad 4 on eBay!
  • Reply 4 of 15

I had an iPad2 and loved it. I sold it to get an iPad3 (which I haven't done yet). Went to an Apple store this weekend and looked at the Mini. I know it's smaller but it just felt slim and trim compared to the full size iPad. The Mini is the future of iPads.

I will be getting the iPad Mini very shortly! It's the best iPad for me.

P.S. Not sure I would pay more for Retina. And I hope having a Retina display doesn't make it thicker and heavier. If so I will get a first gen. Mini!

• Reply 5 of 15
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I used to agree that the Mini is the future. Holding one sold me!

But now I'm not 100% sure... once I hold a truly lightweight FULL iPad (the next one MIGHT reach that level, might not) then I'll know.

The more I think about it, the more I think the beauty of the Mini is the weight, not the screen size (which comes down more to preference, and many people want a bigger screen--and people have shown demand for Apple's higher and products over their lower ones in the past, so price alone won't steer masses away from the big screen if they want one).

If the next full iPad is not a LOT lighter (see the amazing change from iPhone 4S to 5) then I'll want a Mini (retina please, but I still predict that's going to need a ton of power/battery AND big yields, and thus won't happen this year).

Even though the Mini lacks the big screen I desire, weight matters more. And the mini's screen is 80% as larger in width and length. Not THAT small, despite the small case they squeezed it into. (8" Mini has a bigger screen but is physically smaller than 7" tablets.)

Just give me a 128GB mini. I hoard massive games shamefully.

I take all these predictions with salt, though--they're just guesses based on a complex supply chain. And of course, any wrong guesses mean "Apple has slipped" :p
  • Reply 6 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I used to agree that the Mini is the future. Holding one sold me!

But now I'm not 100% sure... once I hold a truly lightweight FULL iPad (the next one MIGHT reach that level, might not) then I'll know.

The more I think about it, the more I think the beauty of the Mini is the weight, not the screen size (which comes down more to preference, and many people want a bigger screen--and people have shown demand for Apple's higher and products over their lower ones in the past, so price alone won't steer masses away from the big screen if they want one).

If the next full iPad is not a LOT lighter (see the amazing change from iPhone 4S to 5) then I'll want a Mini (retina please, but I still predict that's going to need a ton of power/battery AND big yields, and thus won't happen this year).

Even though the Mini lacks the big screen I desire, weight matters more. And the mini's screen is 80% as larger in width and length. Not THAT small, despite the small case they squeezed it into. (8" Mini has a bigger screen but is physically smaller than 7" tablets.)

Just give me a 128GB mini. I hoard massive games shamefully.

I take all these predictions with salt, though--they're just guesses based on a complex supply chain. And of course, any wrong guesses mean "Apple has slipped" image

Yep good points. You said it more succinctly than I did, yes it's the light weight of the mini compared to the heft of the full-size iPad that is the driver for me. Not the screen size.

Also, I have a iP4s and I was really amazed at how light the iP5 was. It was stunning! :) 

• Reply 7 of 15
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I will wait for the retina iPad mini, and compare to the redesigned iPad 5 (assuming it is). I think what I love about the mini is the weight, the fact that it is more portable, and the look (black and slate is so damn sexy).

Time will tell. I thought about buying the mini now, then passing on to my daughter when I am able to upgrade to retina mini. But the iPad 3 serves me well enough and I love retina.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I'm definitely interested in the mini only if it comes out with a retina display so hopefully this rumor is true.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    tobiwantobiwan Posts: 73member
    Planning to finally upgrade my iPad 2 to the new redesigned 5th gen iPad. Glad the report said that the only yield problems with be with the 6th gen iPad.

I will still use my iPad 2 64GB as mainly a portable jukebox. Still like that I can use the 30 pin out to RCA for better sound than the headphone jack.

• Reply 10 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post

…the new redesigned 5th gen iPad. Glad the report said that the only yield problems with be with the 6th gen iPad.

I hate that people will take this absolute crap as fact.

• Reply 11 of 15
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member

There are three reasons many prefer the Mini - size, weight, and holdability. I wished they made the aluminum shell not so slippery. It's gorgeous to look at but not to hold for a long time. And it's not just the weight, it's the grip, you really have to squeeze it :)  The back of the Mini is much less slippery and that's why it's a pleasure to hold.

• Reply 12 of 15
    I did not see the reasoning behind "yield problems" with the 6th generation iPad. I would expect the 6th Gen to have fewer problems than ever before, given what they've learned in the first 5 generations. Sixth time's the charm?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Unless the Panel Yield Rate is that good. ( Which i actually believe so as has been improved tremendously in the last few months ). It is quite plausible given the the Retina Mini will be using the exact same Panel as the iPhone 5 ( 324PPI ), just cuts into different size.

Apple could push for a even higher PPI for iPad but that wouldn't make sense ( At least for now. ). The Bigger iPad desperately need weight reduction as most simply thinks it is too heavy.

But Unless something magical happens, the Battery will continue to be the main factor in weight, and there just aren't any Battery tech advance in the horizon. I hope Apple proves me wrong though.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I had an iPad2 and loved it. I sold it to get an iPad3 (which I haven't done yet). Went to an Apple store this weekend and looked at the Mini. I know it's smaller but it just felt slim and trim compared to the full size iPad. The Mini is the future of iPads.

I will be getting the iPad Mini very shortly! It's the best iPad for me.

P.S. Not sure I would pay more for Retina. And I hope having a Retina display doesn't make it thicker and heavier. If so I will get a first gen. Mini!

Retina is completely amazing. Easily worth the upgrade from iPad 2 to iPad 3, just as the rumoured form factor changes will justify the upgrade from iPad 3 to iPad 5.

• Reply 15 of 15
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Unless the Panel Yield Rate is that good. ( Which i actually believe so as has been improved tremendously in the last few months ). It is quite plausible given the the Retina Mini will be using the exact same Panel as the iPhone 5 ( 324PPI ), just cuts into different size.

Apple could push for a even higher PPI for iPad but that wouldn't make sense ( At least for now. ). The Bigger iPad desperately need weight reduction as most simply thinks it is too heavy.

But Unless something magical happens, the Battery will continue to be the main factor in weight, and there just aren't any Battery tech advance in the horizon. I hope Apple proves me wrong though.

The battery issue is what fuels IGZO hopes, reducing power demand means either a longer run time or optioning for a smaller (i.e. lighter) battery. And for IGZO screen tech nothing "magical" has to happen for higher resolution with no power drain penalty, just the usual developementy maturation time as Sharp has demo'd them already.