Upcoming T-Mobile event to focus on new wireless plans, Apple products 'unlikely'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Fourth-largest U.S. wireless carrier T-Mobile is expected to outline its latest technology and pricing enhancements at an event scheduled for March 26 in New York, but customers awaiting the much-anticipated introduction of Apple's iOS devices to the telecom's network may have to wait a bit longer.

T-Mobile

As noted by AllThingsD, T-Mobile is expected to offer its first Apple devices to customers in 2013, though the publication does not expect such an announcement to be made at next week's event. Instead, the company will likely focus on its push into high-speed LTE data and a move away from subsidized pricing plans.

The carrier is said to have bolstered its network in Las Vegas and Kansa City to handle 4G LTE, but has yet to flip the switch on the service that would allows customers access to faster data speeds. Of the top four U.S. telecoms, T-Mobile is the last to roll out the protocol to customers.

As for new pricing options, T-Mobile will reportedly move away from subsidizing handsets for contract customers, instead putting more emphasis on its "value plans"

Meanwhile, the company has also said it plans to shift away from subsidizing phones for contract customers in favor of its ?value plans," which has subscribers pay full price for a smartphone, but with lower monthly rates. This saves customers money in the long term as long as they stay with T-Mobile.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    I doubt its just for the value plan rollout. They've already shown us much of whats expected. It would be very boring event if that were the case. They already push value plans hard at the local t-mo stores here. Unless they've even lower pricing coming, which I doubt.

It might be for refarm/LTE rollout announcements. While they many not immediately release the iPhone that day, I would not be surprised at all if we got a release date and other news to go with it. Like Samsung S4 pricing, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    adrayven wrote: »
    I doubt its just for the value plan rollout. They've already shown us much of whats expected. It would be very boring event if that were the case. They already push value plans hard at the local t-mo stores here. Unless they've even lower pricing coming, which I doubt.

It might be for refarm/LTE rollout announcements. While they many not immediately release the iPhone that day, I would not be surprised at all if we got a release date and other news to go with it. Like Samsung S4 pricing, etc.

What I don't get about the value plans is that one still has to sign a 2 yr agreement and it carries a high ETF.
  • Reply 3 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What I don't get about the value plans is that one still has to sign a 2 yr agreement and it carries a high ETF.

Well, you are being given a very expensive phone for only an initial downpayment. Without a contract and a high ETF, you could just take the phone and run, not paying off the remaining balance.

• Reply 4 of 13
    Can you please stop posting articles when you have no real news... let me use Google Reader while I still can without the bloat. You guys are still making 5 posts every time I open Reader, and not one inside bit of info... everything is analysts and speculation.

Don't worry I wont forget about you.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    31 flavas wrote: »
    Well, you are being given a very expensive phone for only an initial downpayment. Without a contract and a high ETF, you could just take the phone and run, not paying off the remaining balance.

No, value plans are when you bring your own device unsubsidized by T-mobile.
  • Reply 6 of 13

Quote:

No, value plans are when you bring your own device unsubsidized by T-mobile.

Hm... Dunno then. Maybe the assumption here is that you're purchasing a new phone? Otherwise, yea, I'd be confused and ask sales agent why it isn't month-to-month with my own device. Now, that said I brought my AT&T iPhone 4 to TMO, but I paired it with pre-paid $30/mo web special. (100 mins calls / Unlimited txt / Unlimited data (speed capped after 5 GB)

• Reply 7 of 13
    Actually @flavas, if you don't pay the bill, t-mobile puts the phone on the blocklist. That same blocklist is about to be shared with at&t, verizon and a few others (and vise versa) so it would be worthless with a large carrier here.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by full decent View Post

…not one inside bit of info... everything is analysts and speculation.

You DO realize this is a rumor site, right? That's all that will ever be posted.

• Reply 9 of 13
    31 flavas wrote: »
    Hm... Dunno then. Maybe the assumption here is that you're purchasing a new phone? Otherwise, yea, I'd be confused and ask sales agent why it isn't month-to-month with my own device. Now, that said I brought my AT&T iPhone 4 to TMO, but I paired it with pre-paid $30/mo web special. (100 mins calls / Unlimited txt / Unlimited data (speed capped after 5 GB)

Then ask about their value plans and all it entails.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

You can get them without the contract and ETF. The rates are slightly higher, but they're still decent.

• Reply 11 of 13
    hmm wrote: »
    You can get them without the contract and ETF. The rates are slightly higher, but they're still decent.

My question is why require a contract and ETF identical to a subsidized smartphone one? Why not go old school and offer 1 yr contracts with a $100 ETF?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

My question is why require a contract and ETF identical to a subsidized smartphone one? Why not go old school and offer 1 yr contracts with a $100 ETF?

Why require a contract at all by default? One year might offer a better balance. They used to do one year contracts, some of them subsidized half as much, but that ended a long time ago. My point was that you can still take some advantage of these plans without taking on a contract.

• Reply 13 of 13

I'm anxiously awaiting HSPA+ coverage AND with iPhone support for my area so I can make the switch with my unlocked iPhone 5. I may end up going to Solavei for $49 per month, but I need the data speeds first. I'd make the jump with their $30 plan (mentioned above) now (and live with slow data, hoping to be updated soon), but I don't think I can do only 100 minutes. I did buy it for 1 month to see if I had service were I live, but I didn't renew it after the month was up. 

I have Straight Talk now running on AT&T's network. They put too many restrictions on data for being "unlimited," and I just hate taking the chances. They can throttle you or cut your service for streaming one simple youtube video over the network. And, according to their TOS, that applies to app and music downloads, too. I could see a data cap like Net10 is doing (1.5GB with no restrictions, and that would be plenty for me), but this is a little scary. 

Would anyone be so kind as to go to this site: http://www.t-mobile-takeaction.com and help make a push for Altoona, PA (zip 16601, 16602, 16603)? If you can/will, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!