Munster, Siegler, Agreda talk iWatch, iTVs, and Apple's 'groove'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    peter236 wrote: »

Samsung also sold a record number of phones, as did Huawei, Lenovo and ZTE etc. Apple's market share is shinking, so is the IOS ecosystem.

Source this. No one but Apple has released actual numbers. Apple has three models. Compare that with the competitors' top 3 models (flagship or not). iOS isn't shrinking because it's also in the iPads and touches. Why do trolls seem to ignore them.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Source this. No one but Apple has released actual numbers. Apple has three models. Compare that with the competitors' top 3 models (flagship or not). iOS isn't shrinking because it's also in the iPads and touches. Why do trolls seem to ignore them.

I'll take shipping numbers for a model like Samsung has done with the S III. We don't know actual sales but can deduce that they've sold dozens of millions that have made it into the hands of customers based on the 50 million figure, anecdotal evidence of its popularity, and knowledge that channel stuffing is only viable to an extent. More popular than the iPhone 5? Not even close, but still a popular phone and likely the most popular high-end Android-based phone by a wide margin.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't know. I think the success of the really expensive and really large Galaxy Note has shown that there is a market for really large phone/tablet hybrids. They seem especially popular in the Asian markets, perhaps because of the nature of their written language or some other cultural-based preference. If they do, I think 4.94" will likely be the chosen size so hey can use the 1136x640 resolution with the 264 PPI of the iPad 4.

I'm sure there is a market for 5" phones and I'm sure Apple will investigate or is investigating it. But to say they NEED one is pure bunk.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    Hey, MG Siegler....
    Just so you know, it's not the press jumping on Apple's back, it's Google and Samsung feeding fake stories like Antennagate to the press. I'm not a fan of Cook being CEO, but the only major misstep Apple has made lately is with Maps. The rest is the competition feeding the media. They love to have something to talk about other than Obama (yawn).
  • Reply 65 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

I'm not a "sky is falling" type by any means - I realize that this is part of their normal product cycle…

So why mention it at all?

…tinkerer types…

Read: people for whom the iPhone isn't designed in the first place.

…getting very stale in the UI department.

Well, there goes the rest of your opinion.

…getting slightly less reliable. 

Just vague enough not to mean anything at all.

-Apple used to easily trounce competitors in UI. Now they have made "skeuomorphism" a household word. 

That's… why they have trounced competitors. 

-iWork is still on version '09. Siri is still in "beta", whatever that means. 

It means beta. Maybe use a dictionary to find out what the word 'beta' means. iWork hasn't changed because what is there to change? At this point it's just adding more features, and you'll whine about them ""just" adding more features".

Realistically should have been an optional download for iOS 6 and replaced Google Maps in iOS 7.

Realistically their deal with Google ran out before that could happen.

iOS needs some fresh blood, stat.

Hardly.

…we are in a relative lull in product releases…

Sure, if you ignore the entirety of 2012. Come on.

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

the only imporant idea here is "do they benefit from drumming up these opinions".

They're paid to spew them. Even before the stock they may hold, that's enough.

• Reply 66 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I'm sure there is a market for 5" phones and I'm sure Apple will investigate or is investigating it. But to say they NEED one is pure bunk.

I agree with that. The fact that the iPhone is the most successful high-end phone, and by a very large margin and even across older models still being sold is proof they don't need a 5" iPhone.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    spamboy wrote: »
    Hey, MG Siegler....
    Just so you know, it's not the press jumping on Apple's back, it's Google and Samsung feeding fake stories like Antennagate to the press. I'm not a fan of Cook being CEO, but the only major misstep Apple has made lately is with Maps. The rest is the competition feeding the media. They love to have something to talk about other than Obama (yawn).

Why aren't you a fan of Cook as CEO? Because he's not Jobs is not a valid reason.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Ah, the ostriches are up in arms I today see? The truth is a bitch! Munster was kind when he said "They had an abnormally large amount of products that were released at the end of the year. So I do think that that, mixed with the executive shakeup, is changing way that their products are released."

It was more like Apple dumped all their new products at once out of a greasy ripped paper bag.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Ah, the ostriches are up in arms I today see? The truth is a bitch! Munster was kind when he said "They had an abnormally large amount of products that were released at the end of the year. So I do think that that, mixed with the executive shakeup, is changing way that their products are released."

It was more like Apple dumped all their new products at once out of a greasy ripped paper bag.

Why are you the way that you are?

• Reply 70 of 74
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Munster and Siegler - interesting pair. One is an analyst and the other is a VC/pundit.

Munster insists a TV is being developed at Apple. Siegler insists Facebook is designing a phone.

Which one will be proven right and which one will have egg on his face?

• Reply 71 of 74
    stelligent wrote: »
    Munster and Siegler - interesting pair. One is an analyst and the other is a VC/pundit.

Munster insists a TV is being developed at Apple. Siegler insists Facebook is designing a phone.

Which one will be proven right and which one will have egg on his face?

Neither as both could say "at the last minute the company changed its mind"
  • Reply 72 of 74
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're either young and don't know any better or grossly misinformed but the fact is Apple DID NOT invent all those things. What they did do was take existing technology and services and combine them in ways no one had thought of before offering a user experience exponentially better than it's predecessors.

Actually you're wrong on both counts.  I've been using Apple products for 28 years. When I started using the Apple II, the mouse hadn't been 'invented' yet (or at least wasn't available for me to buy).

This comes up constantly, and I was waiting for someone to say - "Apple didn't invent the mouse, Apple didn't invent the GUI, Apple didn't invent the iPod....", (and by the way, Henry Ford didn't 'invent' the car either) there were obviously other companies working along parallel lines, and also those who came up with concepts first, but either didn't have the ability to see the potential, or the ability to get it working well (Xerox's GUI for instance, or even Apple's first PC, when other companies didn't see a future in home computers). The point is, it was Apple's invention/implementation of these devices that changed the world. Earlier implementations of mp3 players didn't take off, it was Apple's invention (call it a re-invention if you will) which worked - alongside their brand new iTunes store. Personally, I call that invention and innovation. No, the didn't invent every single part that went into an iPod, but they invented a device that worked, and that subsequently everyone tried unsuccessfully to copy (Zune anyone?). So yes, Apple DID invent those things - and it was those inventions that DID change the technology world as we know it today. 

• Reply 73 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    leighr wrote: »
    Actually you're wrong on both counts.  I've been using Apple products for 28 years. When I started using the Apple II, the mouse hadn't been 'invented' yet (or at least wasn't available for me to buy).

This comes up constantly, and I was waiting for someone to say - "Apple didn't invent the mouse, Apple didn't invent the GUI, Apple didn't invent the iPod....", (and by the way, Henry Ford didn't 'invent' the car either) there were obviously other companies working along parallel lines, and also those who came up with concepts first, but either didn't have the ability to see the potential, or the ability to get it working well (Xerox's GUI for instance, or even Apple's first PC, when other companies didn't see a future in home computers). The point is, it was Apple's invention/implementation of these devices that changed the world. Earlier implementations of mp3 players didn't take off, it was Apple's invention (call it a re-invention if you will) which worked - alongside their brand new iTunes store. Personally, I call that invention and innovation. No, the didn't invent every single part that went into an iPod, but they invented a device that worked, and that subsequently everyone tried unsuccessfully to copy (Zune anyone?). So yes, Apple DID invent those things - and it was those inventions that DID change the technology world as we know it today. 

You make good points but I do not agree, so let's just agree to disagree. Henry Ford just expanded mass production which Olds invented.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    Surely the recent VESA wall-mounted iMac is the current Apple TV' display and it is fed content from the Apple TV box (HULU/iTunes/NetFlix etc), the iPad, the iPhone etc. Next I just want a decent sized display with VESA mounting (40" minimum) : it doesn't need to be an iMac it could be just a new thunderbolt display.