Samsung exec says readying smart watch entry to battle Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Not to be outdone by rumors of a supposed Apple-built "smart watch," a Samsung executive on Tuesday revealed that the Korean company is too working on its own entry into the wearable computing arena, but failed to disclose anything about the purported device.

Samsung

According to Bloomberg, Samsung is developing a wristwatch to "race" Apple to market in the wearable device industry, though as of current only the Korean tech giant has gone on record as saying any such activity was taking place.

?We?ve been preparing the watch product for so long,? said Lee Young Hee, executive vice president of Samsung?s mobile business. ?We are working very hard to get ready for it. We are preparing products for the future, and the watch is definitely one of them.?

Aside from the terse confirmation, Lee had offered little else and would not comment on feature set, price or availability.

Apple is believed to be launching its own smart watch offering later in 2013, and rumors point to a device made of curved glass and metal that wirelessly connects to a user's iPhone. The unit is thought to be capable of simple operations, including controlling certain iPhone functions like call dismissal and message reading.

AppleInsider was first to reveal a U.S. patent filing for a wrist-worn device with a flexible display that connects to smartphones via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

Although word has spread quickly through media outlets regarding the so-called "iWatch," no leaks or substantive reports have been unearthed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Samsung now copying Dick Tracy, tsk, tsk.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Reply 3 of 60
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

In 2009 they released http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s9110-2885.php

and there even was a samsung smart watch in 2003.

Also Samsung has been showing flexible displays for a couple of years now (but have failed to bring them to market yet)

• Reply 4 of 60
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If Samsung could make Google Glass better than Google that would be funny. And they could do it. 

• Reply 5 of 60
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    How is this news. There are several smart watches on the market and have been for quite some time. Even a couple fo Samsumg watches.

It would be a surprise if Samsung were not working on an upgrade to previous watches. The only question is will it go with Android like a few other manufacturers out there or will it be its own OS.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Remember a new version of the A5 was discovered in the Apple TV recently:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6834/apple-tv-2013-a1469-short-review-analysis-of-a-new-a5

The thing is, it uses a lot less power than previous A5s, due to some significant internal redesign. Surely they would not do all that redesign work to save a few cents on the Apple TV?

Maybe it is the iWatch CPU and since Samsung are making it they are starting to suspect Apple is up to something and are trying to get their response ready.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Samsung just waiting for Apple's watch to finalize their own design.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member
    Sounds like Apple started a rumor about a product they know will flop. Hey, why not, if you've got a reliably parasitic imitator. What a strategy!
  • Reply 9 of 60
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    If AppleInsider continues to whore their website to Samsung articles I predict a steady defection of readers. I've already removed it from my Feedly account...
  • Reply 10 of 60
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Oh, Samsung.

• Reply 11 of 60
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

If Samsung could make Google Glass better than Google that would be funny. And they could do it. 

No one can make Google Glass good, the whole concept is stupid.

• Reply 12 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

If AppleInsider continues to whore their website to Samsung articles I predict a steady defection of readers. I've already removed it from my Feedly account...

I am curious what Samsung is up to from time to time.  This is the only Apple rumor site I go to.  If there is an article about Samsung I'm not interested in, I just don't click it.  I hope that AppleInsider doesn't change.

• Reply 13 of 60
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    LoL So this is the solution: create some buzz and hype about an utterly useless but incredibly expensive product that apple is never ever going to even think about and Samsung will "counter" it sinking all their money. Problem solved ;-) I vote time travel. Or warp drive.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Ah Samsung, is it that time again¿

... the Korean company is too working on its own entry into the wearable computing arena, but failed to disclose anything about the purported device.

Of course, a competitor needs to release it first in order for them to be able to manufacture it.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

of course they are. they copy anything and everything apple does even if it is just speculation.  I have no idea why anyone would ever buy anything from Samesung if they had a choice.  The sooner Apple can move its supply chain completely off Samesung the better.

• Reply 16 of 60
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to Bloomberg, Samsung is developing a wristwatch to "race" Apple to market in the wearable device industry

Didn't work out so well when they raced Apple to the tablet industry and had to cancel the launch of their slab for being too thick after the iPad showed them how it's done.

But go ahead, be first.  No one cares.

• Reply 17 of 60
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No one can make Google Glass good, the whole concept is stupid.

Thank you!

• Reply 18 of 60
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    We are Samsung. We like to copy Apple because we can't think for ourselves. We will tell you that we are innovative and you will believe us [bad Jedi hand wave]. We are coming out with a new watch because Apple is. We just can't try to concept new products so we'll just give in and do what Apple is doing and try to beat them. We will continue designing our products with ugly-ass curves and miscellaneous patterns that we think will look great. We work many hours and don't have much of a life to bring you our PREMIUM product [bad Jedi hand wave again].

Side note: Dear Appleinsider, as stated by freediverx, I also predict a loss of readers if you keep whoring your site to Samsung articles.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Just hedging their bets. AI has apparently bought into the" Apple is doomed" mantra and readying plan B to become SamsungInsider.

• Reply 20 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple should leak a story about the work they are doing on a new giant earth moving machine. Samsung would be on it like a fly on cow poop.