Developers prefer Apple's iOS Maps SDK over Google Maps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    desuserign wrote: »
    ...they need a desktop version of iBooks too, goll darn it (pardon my Minnesotan!)

Reading behind your Mac; I don't think that'll fly. On an iOS device, yes. But American's don't read anymore, didntcha know ¿
  • Reply 22 of 50
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member

Unfortunately, on the client side, Apple's Maps is still lacking. The other day, a friend I was chatting with on WeChat sent me her current location (this is a built-in function) and by default it shows using Apple's Maps, with an option to also display it in Google Maps. Can you guess which is which :-) ?

• Reply 23 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    An iPhone and an iPhone¿
  • Reply 24 of 50
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

"A decade of experience in technical consulting or employment in information technology, recognized by the University of California to be equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Computer Science."

So he says. Sounds like BS.

• Reply 25 of 50

I actually said on this site, that Apple's map architecture and features were superior from day one.

This is what Scott Forstall was talking about when he said that Apple Maps was the best in the world.

Well Apple is not saying that anymore, but people are finally discovering it.

Google knew it all along and that's why they orchestrated a campaign against Apple Maps but the truth comes out sooner or later.

I expect to see some amazing layers of data from third parties for Apple maps soon.  

I mean data that people never thought existed, let alone presented elegantly on a map on a portable device.

• Reply 26 of 50
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

For more balanced coverage, you can read the actual report, or try the article on MacRumors:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/18/geocentric-app-developers-compare-apples-mapkit-and-google-maps-sdk/

Here, you can read more comments from the very same developers-- comments which were conveniently omitted here on AI because they were negative toward Apple.  I don't see why the negative comments needed to be omitted, since those 2 developers were overall positive towards Apple in the end.

That's the standard of DED's writing, sadly. He's not interested in the truth, only pushing his own agenda.

• Reply 27 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Unfortunately, on the client side, Apple's Maps is still lacking. The other day, a friend I was chatting with on WeChat sent me her current location (this is a built-in function) and by default it shows using Apple's Maps, with an option to also display it in Google Maps. Can you guess which is which :-) ?

You are on AT&T in Chengdu? That must be expensive!

• Reply 28 of 50
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by festerfeet View Post

You are on AT&T in Chengdu? That must be expensive!

/Facepalm

• Reply 29 of 50
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

... I am a huge Apple apologist ...

Funny stuff.

• Reply 30 of 50
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

I have done a lot of comparative research on my own and according to my testing Apple Maps is grossly inferior. I would love to claim Apple Maps superior because I am a huge Apple apologist but it just isn't possible to spin this as an Apple Maps superiority situation because it simply sucks in so many areas.

Yes, except you don't qualify how it supposedly is inferior. I too have done side by side comparisons using Apple and Google's Maps around the Ann Arbor/Detroit Michigan area. Keep in mind, this is Google's "backyard" as this is where it's adsense headquarters is located. In a nutshell,  Apple's Maps auto corrects routes better, is easier to use, looks better, and gives good turn by turn directions. While running at the same time (on different iPhones) I have had Google's Maps fail to tell me to turn, and not auto correct routes very well. Further, it stinks in terms figuring out how to get the turn by turn feature to work. 

So in my experience, Apple's Maps is better then Google's in auto correcting routes, providing turn by turn directions, aesthetics, and general easy of use. Where Apple's Maps fall short is it's reliance on Yelp for point of interest information.  This is hard for Apple to fix over night as well because Yelp is responsible for updating its data and from my experience is slow to do so. Further, Yelp focuses on mostly food as opposed to other services. 

Apple's is using Tom Tom's information in the US to provide directions. I haven't heard a fury of Tom Tom's maps being bad. It's maps might in be in your vehicle. 

• Reply 31 of 50
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

As far as routing and turn by turn navigation, both seem to perform on par with one another, which is good, though personally I prefer Google's voice to Apple's, but that's personal preference.

That is your personal experience. I have had Google's Map fail to tell me to turn while another iPhone running Apple's Maps successfully told me to turn (more than once), and Apple's Maps seem to adjust for route changes better.  

• Reply 32 of 50
    The more I use Apple's Maps, the more I like it. I haven't had any issues at all using it for navigation, and I've been in some pretty remote areas. My only wish is more information during navigation: current speed, ETA etc. would be welcomed additions.
  • Reply 33 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, except you don't qualify how it supposedly is inferior. I too have done side by side comparisons using Apple and Google's Maps around the Ann Arbor/Detroit Michigan area. Keep in mind, this is Google's "backyard" as this is where it's adsense headquarters is located. In a nutshell,  Apple's Maps auto corrects routes better, is easier to use, looks better, and gives good turn by turn directions. While running at the same time (on different iPhones) I have had Google's Maps fail to tell me to turn, and not auto correct routes very well. Further, it stinks in terms figuring out how to get the turn by turn feature to work. 

So in my experience, Apple's Maps is better then Google's in auto correcting routes, providing turn by turn directions, aesthetics, and general easy of use. Where Apple's Maps fall short is it's reliance on Yelp for point of interest information.  This is hard for Apple to fix over night as well because Yelp is responsible for updating its data and from my experience is slow to do so. Further, Yelp focuses on mostly food as opposed to other services. 

Apple's is using Tom Tom's information in the US to provide directions. I haven't heard a fury of Tom Tom's maps being bad. It's maps might in be in your vehicle. 

I have only tested Apple's turn by turn once in the US and it was accurate. I didn't need any rerouting. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have in-dash navigation in my vehicles so I don't use that feature on my phone. I agree with your comments about POI which is my main complaint with Apple Maps. The street detail is terrible in the lower part of Central America to the point of being unusable. Turn by turn there, is non-existent on any platform I have used. There are some private third party data sets that you can buy for Garmin but I have not tried them.

The main problem with turn by turn in most of Central America is that there are no street addresses except in the heart of the capital city's business district. All outlying areas are reference only by landmarks. This why it is so important to have accurate and complete street and POI detail. The navigation features are useless so you need to find your own way based on the street level detail. This is where Apple is under serving the user. They are extremely lacking in street and POI details not to mention the terrible satellite imagery which often becomes essential to figure out where something is. I have on several occasions located the intended destination based solely on geographic details like a row of tall tress or a bend in the road. Apple does not show any of that level of detail.

I mostly did my comparisons on the street data and POI. I find Google hands down to have much richer data. I personally don't care for the look or the zooming, labeling or geographic detail of Apple maps either, but for most needs I am sure it is adequate. I am convinced that the major reason Google Maps feels more complete is that they have all of their data from search to apply to maps where as Apple has to rely on third parties. I admit I don't fully understand how Apple Maps gets it's data but I believe it is rather hit or miss depending on the area and which third party is providing the data.

• Reply 34 of 50
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tbell wrote: »

Yes, except you don't qualify how it supposedly is inferior.

Apple doesn't pay him to shill on AI like Google does?
  • Reply 35 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:

... I am a huge Apple apologist ...

Funny stuff.

No I think that is accurate. I highly recommend Apple hardware, and their OS to anyone considering purchasing a computer or phone. I work almost exclusively on Macs except for servers and a couple lonely Windows boxes over in the corner which rarely get switched on. I admit I'm am not a big fan of Apple Maps, iClould or FCP X, but I would never recommend any other hardware vendor for phone, notebook or desktop. Admittedly I also use and recommend Adobe CS as well as Google Maps and search which is where I'm sure you find fault. I have purchased almost every product Apple makes going back to the days of the Mac Plus, with the exception of iPod touch, so that alone should qualify me as an official Apple fan, if not apologist.

• Reply 36 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, except you don't qualify how it supposedly is inferior.

Apple doesn't pay him to shill on AI like Google does?

Yep Google pays me, but not to say nice things about them. They send me a sizable check every month for running ads on my website for which I find nothing wrong with. If idiots click on an ad, I get 10 cents. I'm sure AI's check from Google is much larger than mine.

• Reply 37 of 50
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google's Android is often described as offering a free and open alternative to Apple, but its Maps SDK is neither of these. The SDK is closed source that's proprietary to Google, and any developers that use it to add Google Maps to their own apps must incorporate the code into their app, wasting storage space on the device.

Apple's Map Kit is part of iOS, so every third party app that uses it shares the same code, rather than packaging a copy of it in each app installed on a device.

I've just taken a look and the static library for Google Maps on iOS and it's 144 KB. That's about 1/10 of the size of a single photo taken with the iPhone's camera. 

The only time that such a insignificant amount of space might come into play is to get the app under the 50MB OTA limit and even that's a very unlikely edge case.

• Reply 38 of 50
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    tbell wrote: »

Yes, except you don't qualify how it supposedly is inferior. I too have done side by side comparisons using Apple and Google's Maps around the Ann Arbor/Detroit Michigan area. Keep in mind, this is Google's "backyard" as this is where it's adsense headquarters is located. In a nutshell,  Apple's Maps auto corrects routes better, is easier to use, looks better, and givesgood turn by turn directions. While running at the same time (on different iPhones) I have had Google's Maps fail to tell me to turn, and not auto correct routes very well. Further, it stinks in terms figuring out how to get the turn by turn feature to work. 

So in my experience, Apple's Maps is better then Google's in auto correcting routes, providing turn by turn directions, aesthetics, and general easy of use. Where Apple's Maps fallshort is it's reliance on Yelp for point of interest information.  This is hard for Apple to fix over night as well because Yelp is responsible for updating its data and from my experience is slow to do so. Further, Yelp focuses on mostly food as opposed to other services. 

As a matter of fact, the point of interest data in Apple Maps isn't from Yelp. The point of interest data in Apple Maps is from Acxiom, Factual and Localeze which are data aggregators and are considered the authoritative source of business listings even more so than Google.

Personally, I desire for Apple to expose their business listings database to allow business owners to directly submit listings. The problem is that Google would likely sabotage their data like Google did to OpenStreetMap. Of course, I would also prefer if Apple were to just purchase NextBus, TomTom and Waze.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 40 of 50
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted