Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 230
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mikeb85 wrote: »
    Because you're wrong in stating that "<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">and yet the nearly all that are coming out with a stated PPI in the Retina-range are using PenTile" <-- (your quote)</span>

<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">Yet, only Samsung phones use a Pentile arrangement, in fact, PenTile is a trademark of Samsung.  All screens made by other manufacturers use an RGB arrangement (even Samsungs LCDs do too)...</span>

I think Motorola still uses PenTile as well.
  • Reply 222 of 230
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I think Motorola still uses PenTile as well.

Do their newer phones still use it? The older Droids did but I didn't bother to check the newest ones.

• Reply 223 of 230
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Do their newer phones still use it? The older Droids did but I didn't bother to check the newest ones.

Yes Moto refers to them as qHD.
  • Reply 224 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes Moto refers to them as qHD.

Ah, so those are Pentile displays just be-badged. I didn't know that and never really bothered to look. Now I know, so much appreciated

• Reply 225 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mikeb85 wrote: »
    Because you're wrong in stating that "<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">and yet the nearly all that are coming out with a stated PPI in the Retina-range are using PenTile" <-- (your quote)</span>

<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">Yet, only Samsung phones use a Pentile arrangement, in fact, PenTile is a trademark of Samsung.  All screens made by other manufacturers use an RGB arrangement (even Samsungs LCDs do too)...</span>

And yet I didn't state all, now did I? Nor did I imply all as you can see in my comments that have mentioned other phones that have a PPI in the Retina range. You actually have made no attempt to show that any other phone has a Retina-quality PPI; you only mentioned a vendor and implied it being Retina quality with your 1080p comment. I mentioned several phone that have a PPI that meet or exceed the iPhone's PPI.
  • Reply 226 of 230
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

"largely iterative", "evolutionary update"

while the s4 has the following changes

* body is smaller, despite a larger screen

* weight reduced

* screen is larger

* resolution is up to 1080p

* camera resolution up to 13mp

* memory increased to 2Gb

* faster cpu

* faster gpu

* newer wifi with ac support

* touchscreen has hover and glove support

* new sensors (temp/humidity)

* larger battery

How much needs to be changed to not call it 'largely iterative'

It's not revolutionary, and I do not except any revolutionary phones within the next year (flexible displays come to mind if any revolutionary new phones will be released)

Note : My next phone will be the HTC One

"revolutionary" would be:

• having a curated application store that virtually eliminates viruses

• free over the air software updates that don't require the carrier to "sign off"

Any shmuck can duplicate the functionality of a desktop computer in the form factor of a phone. What takes real effort is challenging basic assumptions about the very way we interact with a device.

Apple could have easilly thrust an OS-like file system in the user's face and said "you work it out". It's a difficult narrative to say "in the long run that approach doesn't serve us best".

Rather than thinking critically, Samsung is simply looking to cash in, throwing a million features to the wall and sifting through the entrails of anything that might stick; real use case battery life be damned. How useful is being able to remove a passer by from a photo if that particular feature requires you to tell the camera it might happen before you take the photo? If you are precognitive that someone is going to ruin your photo why did you take it in the first place? Why do they always show a home screen where a horribly uninformative weather widget and Google search bar take up half of the screen. What use is a 5-inch screen if you are only making practical use of half of it? these are the kinds of questions they should be asking themselves.

The mind boggles.

• Reply 227 of 230

One of the Galaxy 4's most talked about "innovations" is their eye-tracked video pause. LG has now accused Samsung of replicating their own "Smart Video" feature from the Optimus G. LG claims the patent was filed for back in 2009 and Samsung is infringing. Samsung of course says their S4 feature is their own unique implementation. More to come no doubt.

http://www.talkandroid.com/154263-latest-value-pack-for-optimus-g-pro-adds-eye-tracking-software-and-more/

• Reply 228 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

"revolutionary" would be:

• having a curated application store that virtually eliminates viruses

• free over the air software updates that don't require the carrier to "sign off"

Even "curation" won't keep out malware. At best it keeps it under control.

Example: Another "curated" appStore app was found to have a hidden function today. "Awesome Baby Names" has an app within an app to activate a Gameboy emulator. It's not the first one that's done so either. If someone wanted to deliver a less friendly payload, Apple's uneven examination of apps before they're made available for official download isn't going to keep them all out. 

• Reply 229 of 230
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? What, you want "live apps"? The idea is that it doesn't get any more complex.

I would like anything that gets me information faster. 

• Reply 230 of 230
    "Quote:
    No, the s4 is just the same shit with a few more lines for spec whores that understand 0 about tech and what makes a fast phone, a good camera, a good screen, etc. Java can't compete with cocoa performance wise. Java or html5 apps can't compete with native iOS apps. It still is a slower and inferior device (than the iPhone), that also loses on pretty much everything to the xperia z, the awesome htc one, etc. But fear nor more, DaHarder and other trolls will like your post, and more will come and join you. you guys are polluting the internet... Every review favorable to Apple and detrimental to some competitor has the same trolls even if with different nicknames ready to attack, even at android authority."

I'm not an Apple fanboy, an Android fanboy or even a Microsoft fanboy, I just like to use what works for me. Pedromartins, at the end of the day Samsung is starting to eat into Apples share of the market, you don't need to be an analyst to see that. Make all the arguments you want, it is what it is. The reason Apple seemed to come out of nowhere and pretty much crushed Blackberry, and everyone else that was in the game at the time the iPhone was release in 2007, was because it was a forward thinking company that was driven by the vision of Steve Jobs. I'm starting to think now that Steve is gone the innovation engine is starting to run out of gas for Apple. Companies like Samsung seem to be blazing the trail of new innovation, with Apple now playing catch up. Remember, there was never supposed to be a 7" iPad, but now there is. Apple's iPhone 5 grew bigger with rumours of a possibly even larger iPhone 5S or 6, do you really believe that has nothing to do with "others" innovation? Just stating my opinion as to the way I see it, I use an iPhone 4S myself. At the end of the day both sides can make all the arguments they want, consumers decide.