Apple releases iOS 6.1.3 with fix for lock screen security flaw

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has released the latest update for iOS, version 6.1.3, which fixes a bug that allowed for bypassing of the phone's lockscreen security feature.

iMacs

The new version appears to be rolling out in waves, and iOS device owners will at some point receive a notification that their devices are eligible for an update.

The update fixes an exploit activated by making and then immediately canceling an emergency call on a passcode-locked device. A malicious user with access to the device could use the exploit, plug the device into a computer via USB, and potentially access the data stored on the handset.

The new release of iOS comes nearly a month after Apple pushed out a beta build of 6.1.3 with a fix for the lockscreen bug.

The update also contains fixes for the Apple Maps application for Japan. Apple has been tweaking the Maps app for Japanese iDevice owners since February, focusing on pronunciation and other aspects of turn-by-turn navigation.

Apple also released version 5.2.1 of the firmware for Apple TV. The new version patches security flaws that could have allowed a local user to execute unsigned code or to execute arbitrary code in the kernel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    NOOOOOOO! I love my JailBreak too much to update to this version.

Hoping Evasi0n finds a exploit soon for this update.

Happy. Happy.

@_Hashtag_iPhone
  • Reply 2 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Apple has released the latest update for iOS, version 6.1.3, which fixes a bug that allowed for bypassing of the phone's lockscreen security feature.

I wouldn't know; I don't use it. And supposedly there's this TopTip, where you can simply bypass this feature by press and hold Home+Power buttons for 20 seconds or something, and it'll reboot and unlock the phone with the PIN prompt. So what's the use of using it anyway?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Obviously your not an apple developer because all us apple developers got that news 2 weeks ago!!!
  • Reply 4 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I wouldn't know; I don't use it. And supposedly there's this TopTip, where you can simply bypass this feature by press and hold Home+Power buttons for 20 seconds or something, and it'll reboot and unlock the phone with the PIN prompt. So what's the use of using it anyway?

You're always asked for the PIN first thing on boot...

• Reply 5 of 19
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Damn it, there goes my charging co workers $100 a pop to 'data recovery' their phones when they forget their pass code.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    So
    techieblog wrote: »
    Obviously your not an apple developer because all us apple developers got that news 2 weeks ago!!!
    Somebody wants a cookie.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    dwillydwilly Posts: 60member

Lots of stupid comments today

• Reply 8 of 19
    dwilly wrote: »

I only see one
  • Reply 9 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwilly View Post

I'll add to the stupid comments.  Does this update mean that the new Mac Pro is coming soon?  :-)   I wonder what's really going on with the delay?  

• Reply 10 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

Does this update mean that the new Mac Pro is coming soon?  :-)

On that topic, Sapphire has just released a Mac-compatible 7950 card.

This is good news, because the next Mac Pro could very well not have PCIe graphics, leaving all us previous model owners high and dry with pathetic graphics cards.

Of course, they can go stick a fork in their eye if they think I'm paying one cent more for this card than a PC user would. And yet they have it priced 60% higher. Screw that.

I wonder what's really going on with the delay?  

There is no delay. I wonder why people want to pretend there is.

• Reply 11 of 19
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

• Reply 12 of 19

Exsqueeze me?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Good thing I saved my SHSH blobs locally, and can restore to 6.1.2 anytime I want.

Thanks, TinyUmbrella.

• Reply 14 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

On that topic, Sapphire has just released a Mac-compatible 7950 card.

This is good news, because the next Mac Pro could very well not have PCIe graphics, leaving all us previous model owners high and dry with pathetic graphics cards.

Of course, they can go stick a fork in their eye if they think I'm paying one cent more for this card than a PC user would. And yet they have it priced 60% higher. Screw that.

Pardon a really ignorant question: would it be possible to purchase the PC version of the card if it's the same PCIe interface, then download the OS X drivers separately?

• Reply 15 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

I'll add to the stupid comments.  Does this update mean that the new Mac Pro is coming soon?  :-)   I wonder what's really going on with the delay?  

Hopefully with a min-USB port: as a sign of Apple's "desperation", of course.....

• Reply 16 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Good thing I saved my SHSH blobs locally, and can restore to 6.1.2 anytime I want.

Thanks, TinyUmbrella.

Are we supposed to be impressed? Because I'm not.

• Reply 17 of 19

Pardon a really ignorant question: would it be possible to purchase the PC version of the card if it's the same PCIe interface, then download the OS X drivers separately?

Not really an ignorant question, but it looks like you didn't read the article from the provided link. And that seems ignorant to me. As I understand it, that won't work:
    "You may be wondering why a regular card cannot be used inside a Mac Pro. The answer is that the Mac card requires a different, Apple-approved BIOS. Sapphire uses the dual-BIOS functionality present in these cards to program one with an Apple BIOS and the other with Windows. Sapphire supports Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion) and later."
  • Reply 18 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I'm not sure I understand, but the "humorous, helpful, & odd" is a nice touch, whatever this is.

Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Yes and no.

Yes, you can buy a PC card and have it work just fine. No, drivers don't have anything to do with this. You'll have to get a dump of the Mac card's BIOS and flash the PC card (you'll have to do this from within Windows). 

It's certainly doable and people have been doing this since before the very first Mac Pro came out, but the cards you can buy are restricted based on the capacity of the BIOS chip.

When the rest of the planet steps out of last century and moves away from BIOS, this might not be an issue at all—just grab whatever card you want and go—but since Microsoft refuses to care, I don't think that will ever happen.

And yes, I just said that I don't think something will EVER change when talking about the tech industry. If anyone has any shining ray of hope to prove otherwise, feel free. 

• Reply 19 of 19
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    I'm not sure I understand, but the "humorous, helpful, & odd" is a nice touch, whatever this is.

Well, the discussion I quoted wondered "what's really going on with the delay?" The next comment stated that "there is no delay."

I provided a recent picture of "the delay" to update everyone on "what's really going on with "the delay.""

Thomas Dale "Tom" DeLay (born April 8, 1947) is a former member of the United States House of Representatives, representing Texas's 22nd congressional district from 1984 until 2006. He was Republican Party (GOP) House Majority Leader from 2003 to 2005, when he resigned because of felony money laundering charges in connection with a campaign finance investigation. He was convicted in January 2011 and sentenced to three years in prison but is free on bail while appealing his conviction.

Since leaving Congress, DeLay has co-authored (with Stephen Mansfield) a political memoir, No Retreat, No Surrender: One American's Fight, founded a strategic conservative political consulting firm, First Principles, LLC, and competed on the ninth season of Dancing with the Stars, until stress fractures in his feet caused him to withdraw. DeLay also remains involved in foster care, as he and his wife have founded a "Christ-centered" foster community called "Rio Bend", near Richmond, Texas. The DeLays formerly fostered three teenage boys, and have one grown daughter of their own, Danielle, a professional dancer.

- Wikipedia