Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch reportedly leaving company for Apple [ux2]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm still curious to know exactly what Mansfield's team will be doing at Apple.  This guy doesn't seem like he's experienced with silicon or wireless which is what I thought Mansfield was working on.

Seeing that Mansfield is retiring (again) in late 2014, maybe this new guy is being groomed to take over Mansfield's position when he leaves.

• Reply 42 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Right because proprietary formats have always been a better solution than cross platform compatibility. In some applications it is unavoidable but when propriety is baked in as a means of a lock in, users don't win and neither do publishers. Expanding eBook specifications much like they are doing with HTML5 and CSS3 seems like a much more reasonable approach to me. Besides iBooks Author, although powerful has a lot of issues from a content development and delivery standpoint. The files are just too big and it is difficult to collaborate as a team because the files are encapsulated instead of being sectioned or compartmentalized which would enable them to  be joined together at a later time.

Common sense is useful genius.

I can pick up a physical magazine, book or newspaper and use it without thinking. Anyone of any age can do that. They all work the same. The only way to have the kind of experience on a digital platform is control. You can wax lyrical about jibber jabber all day long, but I know you're wrong. The idea here is to make the newsstand experience for magazines and newspapers so well designed and intuitive that it's a no brainer for Condé Nast, Time and the NYT to join it. And the customer wins because they can actually use their product.

The media companies just need to then concentrate on producing quality articles, editorials, photography, and video etc., and no longer have to pay Adobe extortionate fees. And when the user can be guaranteed that great, consistent experience, my intuition says a lot more people would flock to signing up for digital subscriptions. If you want onto newsstand you should have to get on board with this. That's my strong feeling on the matter.

• Reply 43 of 50
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm still curious to know exactly what Mansfield's team will be doing at Apple.  This guy doesn't seem like he's experienced with silicon or wireless which is what I thought Mansfield was working on.
    Seeing that Mansfield is retiring (again) in late 2014, maybe this new guy is being groomed to take over Mansfield's position when he leaves.

That would be sad and surprising, if it turns out true. With 72,800 employees, I doubt that will the case. Apple's senior leadership currently is mostly -- all? -- a set of home-grown veterans.
  • Reply 44 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That would be sad and surprising, if it turns out true. With 72,800 employees, I doubt that will the case. Apple's senior leadership currently is mostly -- all? -- a set of home-grown veterans.

According to CNBC he's given the position of VP of Technology & reporting to Bob Mansfield. This is only one step below SVP of Technology.  So I'm only assuming that the next step for him is up that ladder (of course I could be wrong).

Given his background, I think a better fit for him would be in the Services / iCloud division.

• Reply 45 of 50
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There's a part of me that thinks the CS Suite and Apple's ProApps would fit together very well but we've all seen what Apple does with their ProApps. I wouldn't like to see that happen with the CS Suite.

There are some thing that annoy me with Adobe's policies. They were going to change their licensing policy just a bit before CS6, so if you were on say Creative Suite 4 you would have been excluded and basically forced into 2 upgrades over a short period of time. They revised that somewhat, but it would have been nicer to their users if future licensing changes were announced early in a cycle rather than nearing its end. As for Apple owning it, the issue that comes to mind is that they wouldn't really need or be dependent upon it. Apple's purpose in owning a lot of these software packages seems to be marketing hardware rather than profiting from the software itself. It might result in less expensive software, but I don't know that it would be good for the long term health and stability of the software packages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Kudos to you for having the humility to admit your omission - a rarity here. And I apologize for the unnecessarily sarcastic way of making the point.

I'm not that egotistical, and now it's one less mistake I'll make in the future, until they change CEOs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Excellent comment, Hmm!

I'm so tired of the snarky posts.

In the past, I've put it down to clumsy attempts at humor.

But I'm very close to giving up on AI and just reading my Macworld magazine when it comes in the mail, watching the Keynotes and listening to the Macworld podcasts!!

Best

I've never read Macworld. I was just annoyed by the mentality of profiling people based solely on their current employer. I can't find as much information as I would like about the guy, but according to Adobe, he was one of the Macromedia guys that they gained from the acquisition. That alone would probably change a few of those opinions. Edit: I meant if the hatred for Adobe is related to perception regarding their corporate culture.

• Reply 46 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

Curious what this guy knows about hardware.  Unless Mansfield's new role doesn't involve hardware?

• Reply 47 of 50
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

That's such wrong-headed thinking that it's bewildering. Without knowing most (any?) of them, you can arrive at the conclusion that they aren't worth anything? Wow!

Probably, you might argue that because their products suck (in your opinion, which has a spotty record at best), the developers must suck too. Does that mean all engineers who have ever worked on Windows are worthless? What about iCloud? What about Mobile Me?

I realize you know shit about software development and technology. But you are not allowed to use that as an excuse here. In general, it is pretty stupid to paint an entire company of people with the brush that you use on the product itself.

Well yeah, because you are such a knowledgeable guy yourself and such an shining example of objectivity as you demonstrate here.  I probably could have phrased the employee part better but obviously what I meant was that this guy is a bad hire and he's the CTO, so if one of the best guys at the company is a bad hire ...

• Reply 48 of 50
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    hmm wrote: »

Did we really need to start this off with condescension? If you look at Adobe's upper management, it's not exactly run by the engineers, or I should say the important decisions aren't really made by them. If you're going to spout off nonsense about high standards, at least do some research into the specific person that was recruited.

I still stick by my opinion, maybe I should have taken more time to explain it more but that is still the gist of it. He was the CTO and specifically fought for flash. Flash was good in concept a decade ago but since then new technology has made it replaceable for the most part. Adobe could have and should have made flash much more light weight instead of resource hogging and prone to crashing. I believe Apple did give flash a real consideration but ultimately Jobs was right in not supporting it. Personally, I have flash disabled most of the time, but when I do have it enabled, it's always ends up hogging memory and CPU power.

AI lays out the case on Lynch in a newer article and it doesn't change the way I see things: odd choice for a hire, but he really has to prove himself. I didn't say he should F off, but I am wondering wtf.

Apologies for coming off as a jerk, it was my opinion perhaps formed in haste, but I don't think I'm alone with it.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Yes, buy Adobe and merge Final Cut Pro 7 and Premiere Pro into one great pro editing app then Final Cut X can remain for the amateurs it was designed for.

Let's not start up those lies again, 'kay?

• Reply 50 of 50
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The media companies just need to then concentrate on producing quality articles, editorials, photography, and video etc., and no longer have to pay Adobe extortionate fees. And when the user can be guaranteed that great, consistent experience, my intuition says a lot more people would flock to signing up for digital subscriptions. If you want onto newsstand you should have to get on board with this. That's my strong feeling on the matter.

I've got news for you: Publishers still need Adobe CS to do all their graphics and original print layouts.