Why did Apple hire Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 202
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Dude,go to Nike.com and see what all the fuss is about. Flash all over the place so you are lucky you can even maneuver through that junk.
    Put it this way, iPhone and iPad is the core business of Apple and neither have flash.
    Cough!Cough!
    And how much did Apple post last quarter? Cough!Cough!
  • Reply 82 of 202
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Obviously it's subjective (and these appointments should be, by no means, at the sacrifice of quality), but I too think it sticks out like a sore thumb. Look at this, for example: http://www.google.com/about/company/facts/management/

It looks a lot more like America, and these guys are no slouches.

The talent is obviously there.

I care about Apple making great products not whether their executive team "looks a lot more like America".

• Reply 83 of 202
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    geekdad wrote: »
    So far this post makes the most sense......

I'd second that. I'd like to see something like iWeb brought current.
  • Reply 84 of 202
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Obviously it's subjective (and these appointments should be, by no means, at the sacrifice of quality), but I too think it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The talent is obviously there.

Is it? I'd say it isn't, since they're not. There's plenty of really good talent there, sure, but apparently it's not up to executive snuff. 

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

How many will not notice the glass ceiling?

I'd say all of them, given that there isn't one.

• Reply 85 of 202
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I will understand when someone, even a hothead like anant, shows me some causation.

Until then what I don't understand is why some people, who know absolutely nothing about any matter at all, whether it's some personnel thing or screen lamination in Taiwan, feel compelled to claim that Apple's going downhill fast in some area or other, or that Cook is incompetent, etc.

Who would you place blame on for choosing LG for Mac Pro Retina displays? There's a lot of display quality issues being mentioned on what should be an Apple flagship model. I think Anant is correct that ultimately someone in Apple management is responsible, altho passing the buck might make you happier.
    http://9to5m**/2013/03/20/macbook-pro-with-retina-display-problems-in-every-dimension/

(You can figure out the two missing letters)
  • Reply 86 of 202
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member

Maybe it's as simple as Apple trying to keep their friends close and their enemies closer.

• Reply 87 of 202
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is it? I'd say it isn't, since they're not. There's plenty of really good talent there, sure, but apparently it's not up to executive snuff. 

wait...so your saying there are no women talented enough to make "executive snuff" at Apple? Or just in general?

• Reply 88 of 202
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

As a stock holder this is really the first thing Cook has done that makes me question how long I should keep my investment. This guy seems like an ass clown. The Maps apology was a mistake (they never should have. it certainly didn't have the intended effect of softening the media coverage did it?) But this guy brings nothing. His track record at adobe is proof of that. If he replaces Mansfield, Im selling.

I agree that Lynch seems like a bit of a jerk, but he is certainly not Mansfield's replacement: Mansfield is a hardware guy and Lynch is purely a software guy.  It's also worth keeping in mind that the hiring process at Apple involves the new prospect talking to people from all over the company.  Tim Cook would have had input on this from many people.

• Reply 89 of 202
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

I am afraid that's where your misunderstanding stands. A glass ceiling does not have to be a deliberate, institutionalized or even conscious barrier. People, women and minorities in particular, will be much more inspired when they look at Apple and see that they too could be at the top of the coolest, most successful company in the world.

There was no legal barrier to a black man becoming the American President before 2008. But most black youths did not even think about aspiring to that position. Obama, however you may feel about his politics, has changed that.

• Reply 90 of 202
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Considering that he was aspiring to be CEO of Adobe, I highly doubt he took the position to remain 2nd in command.  I personally think he'll be Bob's new replacement.

You don't know what he was aspiring to. He can't replace Bob, because, in this unusually straightforward article by Dan, you can see that he is software, and Bob is hardware. Likely, his talents, and he is talented, will serve to aid Bob, but there is no way he can replace him.

Remember that Apple is a vastly larger organization than is Adobe.
  • Reply 91 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I care about Apple making great products not whether their executive team "looks a lot more like America".

Fortunately, there are people in this world who care about social issues as well if not more than how to spend disposable income.

• Reply 92 of 202
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

A glass ceiling does not have to be a deliberate, institutionalized or even conscious barrier. People, women and minorities in particular, will be much more inspired when they look at Apple and see that they too could be at the top of the coolest, most successful company in the world.

That's a shame, since part of the human drive for existence is breaking barriers. "Being the first" is a legitimate enough goal in our species for it to advance simply on that point alone.

If they don't want to strive to achieve what they're looking at simply because they don't have a pathway paved out for them, then no, I don't want someone doing a job who doesn't even think they can do the job. 

• Reply 93 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You don't know what he was aspiring to. He can't replace Bob, because, in this unusually straightforward article by Dan, you can see that he is software, and Bob is hardware. Likely, his talents, and he is talented, will serve to aid Bob, but there is no way he can replace him.

Remember that Apple is a vastly larger organization than is Adobe.

Vastly indeed.

But, interestingly, if you disregard the retail staff, the discrepancy is not as large as you'd think.

• Reply 94 of 202
    rogifan wrote: »
    Can someone explain why this guy would be a good replacement for Mansfield?  Mansfield is a hardware guy.  What does this guy know about silicon, silicon, semiconductors, SOCs, wireless, etc.?

That's just speculation on Shameer's part here. He can't replace him. Remember what Apple did when he first left. That's not the point of this hire.
  • Reply 95 of 202
    Well-written article I enjoyed it thanks.
  • Reply 96 of 202
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Hey, I don't work there, but sure as heck can reasonably surmise -- based on all the news, the shortages and delays esp. in iMacs, and the severely negative stock price reaction -- that they've been having major supply chain issues. In most companies, it's the Ops guy/gal that's responsible.

If you want to be cute-sy about it, that's your wont.

My point is that you sure as heck CAN'T resonably surmise, and even if you could, you couldn't draw any dramatic conclusions about what you're guessing at.

If you start with the premise that they're developing these new screen and touch-layer technologies into mass-produced products for the first time anywhere—no one else has risked trying it—especially at the global scale that they are doing it, then you might make room in your critical judgment paradigm for the hardware equivalent of a beta release. It takes time to ramp up something totally new into massive numbers, especially in a tricky area like displays.

Instead of being amazed that they are able to do it all, which is probably the more reasonable option, you are kvetching that their operations are on a slide, based on no real information at all other than delays and shortages. I don't have any real information either, but I know enough about doing real work with machines and processes that things do not always go as your best planning has predicted.

By the way, I would say it's the perception of Apple's incompetence that's tanking the stock as much or more than any actual fumbling. If you deny that, I would understand, because right now you're part of that perception.
  • Reply 97 of 202
    Adobe has the worst UI's in the software industry. I hate them. This guy better not be another Browett.

Do guys like you ever pay attention to the facts, or do you imagine them while you post? Sorry to be so strong in my reply, but I'm reading a lot of nonsense posts, and I've just begun to read them.

You may, in some point of time, have read that Jonny Ive is now in charge of software UI. That certainly isn't going to change.

My read on this is that Apple needs someone to work between software and hardware, to help integrate the two for best performance. And as he has written some damn good software that needs to be integrated on different platforms, particularly apple's, he would be a good choice for that position.
  • Reply 98 of 202

Quote:

That's a shame, since part of the human drive for existence is breaking barriers. "Being the first" is a legitimate enough goal in our species for it to advance simply on that point alone.

If they don't want to strive to achieve what they're looking at simply because they don't have a pathway paved out for them, then no, I don't want someone doing a job who doesn't even think they can do the job. 

It's about grass roots. Kids and youngsters need role models in their development. How many people became engineers or pilots because of American astronauts landing on the moon?

It is natural that many are additionally inspired by certain role models because we can relate to them more closely? Many Asian kids were inspired by Michael Jordan, but many more took up basketball when Yao Ming became a sensation. Similarly, how can we fail to recognize that girls and minority children can better relate to role models at technology companies that are their own reflections? Are you so stubborn that you can't admit to the transformational consequences of Marissa Mayer taking over at Yahoo, Ursula Burns at Xerox and Ginni Rometty at Xerox?

Honestly, which team reflects a greater population: http://www.google.ca/about/company/facts/management/ or http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/? You can't see that girls or boys of minority heritage might be inspired by one more than the other?

These are my last words. You either don't understand the issue or are simply being intransigent. Either way, it is disappointing.

• Reply 99 of 202
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

My read on this is that Apple needs someone to work between software and hardware, to help integrate the two for best performance. And as he has written some damn good software that needs to be integrated on different platforms, particularly apple's, he would be a good choice for that position.

Apple already has the hardware chops, however, they can always use more software talent. Software is the future of Apple innovation.

• Reply 100 of 202
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

People shouldn't be hired based on gender.  And this guy isn't senior enough to make the executive page.

I strongly disagree on both counts.  Apple has a real and obvious problem with gender disparity (as do most of the tech giants admittedly), and while in an ideal world hiring should be gender blind, it's completely acceptable and quite normal to emphasise female hires over male for a short period so that it's at least somewhat rectified.  This is not only standard business practice in the case of minority and gender disparity, it's sound practice that leads to a good result.  

There is absolutely no evidence at all that putting a thumb on the scales for a black or female or "other" candidate has ever seriously inconvenienced or had a bad effect on the white male majority.  There is however an avalanche of evidence to the effect that in a white male dominated industry, if you wait for the white guys to do the right thing or for "naturally superior" minority candidates to be rationally identified, that it won't happen at all.  

Additionally, this scary thing is that this guy is being hired for a job that's maybe one or two seats away from the "executive page," and one of those seats belongs to Bob Mansfield who has already retired once only to come back when the candidate they got to replace him failed miserably.  

This guy is a bad hire.  Plain and simple. 

Also to counter those saying it … he didn't just support Flash because he worked for the company that made it, he was an evangelist for it.  A rather rabid one at that.  He publicly and childishly ridiculed Apple many times about their lack of support for Flash.  He went far beyond the call in terms of supporting Flash.  I'm sure most have already seen the video where he puts an iPHone in a blender and then runs over another with a steamroller right?  He's a f*cking idiot. 

He's also since doctored his resume page to only mention the cool Apple related things that he's done and removed all the references to all the anti-Apple things he's done (and was proud of).  

At the very least this guy is a dishonest poseur.  His glasses are stupid looking too.