Walmart's iPhone Scan & Go pilot program to expand to more than 200 stores

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Walmart shoppers at more than 200 stores will soon be able to use their iPhones to scan items and pay at self-checkout counters, as the retail giant has announced an expansion of its Scan & Go pilot program.

scango

The Scan & Go program, which commenced near Walmart's home office of Bentonville, Ark., last year, currently runs in about 70 stores across the United States. The coming year will see the program expanded to more than 200 stores, though that is still only a fraction of the retailer's more than 4,000 U.S. stores, according to Reuters.

Scan & Go currently only works with devices running Apple's iOS. Walmart representatives say, though, that an Android-compatible version should be available soon.

Using Scan & Go, Walmart customers scan bar codes on items they want to buy while they're shopping. The app ? compatible with iPads, iPhones, and iPods ? keeps track of their planned purchases, as well as the total cost. Customers then take their items to a self-checkout lane, where they pay, instead of going through a traditional register. The app currently provides users with both an electronic receipt and a paper one. Users still pay in the usual manner, with cash or a credit card, and Walmart has declined to comment on the possibility of mobile payment integration.

The number of self-checkout lanes in Walmart stores will increase as the retailer expands the Scan & Go pilot. The pilot expansion will see Scan & Go growing to more than a dozen new markets, including Denver, Phoenix, Omaha, Dallas, Austin, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Wyoming, Montana, Seattle, San Jose, and Portland.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

If Apple had made Passbook into a better version of this, except for any store, we'd have a revolution on our hands.

• Reply 2 of 20
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If Apple had made Passbook into a better version of this, except for any store, we'd have a revolution on our hands.

If I don't have iPhone I would just buy iPod Touch just for this when my preferred Superstore support it. Love express check-out.

• Reply 3 of 20
    If Android wasn't so damn popular on low-end phones, Wal-Mart wouldn't have to support it at all.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    We tried using this app several times at our Neighborhood Market. It was a complete disaster. It was more trouble trying to get the codes to scan into the app than was worthwhile. The app is very buggy and we were only able to complete the checkout process once. If you have produce you still have to scan it manually. There is no real time savings in using this app. After three attempts we finally deleted the app.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Any chances of walking out unknowingly as a shoplifter? What ever happened to Eric Shine's situation with Apple?

Eh, I don't shop at Walmart.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Do the require weighing the items at the checkout? or some sort of verification of the number of items? 

How long before someone scans a less expensive item with the same weight as a more expensive item in order to pay the lower price but get the more expensive item? I would imagine the developers must have considered items such as that - and maybe even have some sort of spot check system or cameras etc. 

If and when RFID is more prevalent to the point of being included in barcodes on products from the OEM - then you could have a system where anything you place into a cart is detected by a unit attached to the cart - your total displayed - and when you get to the check out could even have a separate detector double check. I believe some places (perhaps not in the US) are already testing this. You could then even place items into reusable bags in the cart - making the express checkout truly express. 

there might always be exceptions such as gift cards and items that are priced by weight such as produce that are outside this system - although in the case of produce they could tag each item with an actual bar code specific to that item - much like the deli prints out a barcode after weighing an item. 

• Reply 7 of 20
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    Except I can already do this at any Apple Store ... can't remember the last time I stepped into a Wal-Mart :s I don't care if they have the lowest price ... I'd rather pay a little more and go to Target, or wait a couple days and get it from Amazon.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Yeah great the company that has destroyed wages in the retail industry, gets to see if it can increase its profits and fire more workers. Until Walmart starts paying workers a living wage I will never spend a dollar at their stores.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    danyakdanyak Posts: 30member
    Get over it - yes, Walmart is innovating, again, along with apple.
  • Reply 10 of 20

Personally, I don't think we'd use it.  We rarely use the self-checkout registers because we take advantage of Walmart's price matching, which means that you bring in a current ad from a competing store, show it to the clerk, and they then manually change the item's price to that of the competing ad.  Self-checkout also slows you down if you scan coupons (many don't work on the scanners, and have to be manually entered) and buy alcoholic beverages.  And exactly how is an iPhone supposed to scan produce that first needs to be weighed?

You know what I would use?  An option where Walmart - heck, all retailers - could email me an electronic receipt, especially if it were in a format that could be input into a spreadsheet or database (CSV, etc.).  Help me track my spending, track price changes over time, that sort of thing.

• Reply 11 of 20
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

You know what I would use?  An option where Walmart - heck, all retailers - could email me an electronic receipt, especially if it were in a format that could be input into a spreadsheet or database (CSV, etc.).  Help me track my spending, track price changes over time, that sort of thing.

That's old school.  If they do anything it would be to let you review your purchases online.  Lowes or Home Depot already does something like that.  They have ads featuring the fact that they remember what color paint you bought x years ago and whatnot.  Retailers already capture and mine that information, they might as well let consumers share in the benefits.

• Reply 12 of 20
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    For all those of you who say you'd never use it and think it sucks, be glad it's there.

It's like public transit - you may not want to ride the bus or train (or use this app), but because it's there, many folks will use those services and leave the roads (checkout counters) free. Roads will never disappear and can only get so wide.

I'm glad for any progress that makes my life easier - whether I'm directly using the service or benefiting indirectly.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

This is actually nice. I hope this makes to one of the Walmart we have in town.

• Reply 14 of 20

people actually shop at that dump?

• Reply 15 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by zagatosz View Post

Yeah great the company that has destroyed wages in the retail industry, gets to see if it can increase its profits and fire more workers. Until Walmart starts paying workers a living wage I will never spend a dollar at their stores.

Dig it! :)

Shopping at Walmart is like eating your own leg for dinner....i.e., no future in it!

Walmart/Target are undermining the very fabric or American society! All for the so-called "duty to shareholders. It's immoral.  :)

• Reply 16 of 20
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Actually, the company is following the market. So if more people like you stop shopping there, they will go out of business. However, more people want the cheapest price. 

I refuse to shop there for many reasons. 

• Reply 17 of 20

The truth is that you can write down the theft but you can't write down payroll, so although this will increase theft, it will still probably be within acceptable limits. 

• Reply 18 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Please, for restaurants also. Unless I need it to write off for work, I don't need 3 copies when I leave! 

• Reply 19 of 20
    gcguygcguy Posts: 14member
    I don't think there is one person that was forced to work at WalMart. Minimum wage kills more jobs than letting the market decide.
    zagatosz wrote: »
  • Reply 20 of 20
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    gcguy wrote: »
    I don't think there is one person that was forced to work at WalMart. Minimum wage kills more jobs than letting the market decide.

Take your pro-capitalism memes elsewhere. There is no free market.

Why do you think people work there? Because they want to? Because they believe in Walmart? Hell no. They work there in desperation for employment.

Capitalism has never been, and never will be, self-regulating. All you need do is look at a small sampling of interventions against pollution and labor abuses to grasp the actual facts. Freedom only exists in how free industry and capitalism is in abusing the environment and people to the fullest extent allowed by law.