Why did Apple hire Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 202
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

Adobe is good at cranking out new versions, of existing products, with 'brutal efficiency'. ...

ZOMG!  You have to be joking on this.  Adobe puts out a version quickly because it's almost identical to the last version.  They essentially sell point upgrades as full package upgrades and get away with it because they have a monopoly.  There is more difference (relatively speaking) between Pages 4.2 and Pages 4.3 than there is between CS3 and CS5.

Apple is indeed having trouble getting software out the door but in their defence, they have a much bigger to-do list than Adobe.  

• Reply 102 of 202
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tbell wrote: »

Papermaster was hired and came to work at Apple when Cook was running things and Jobs was onmedical leave.

I find it hard to believe that Jobs didn't have a say in the matter for someone at that high level.
  • Reply 103 of 202
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Who would you place blame on for choosing LG for Mac Pro Retina displays? There's a lot of display quality issues being mentioned on what should be an Apple flagship model. I think Anant is correct that ultimately someone in Apple management is responsible, altho passing the buck might make you happier.
    http://9to5m**/2013/03/20/macbook-pro-with-retina-display-problems-in-every-dimension/

(You can figure out the two missing letters)

This one is easier for you responsibility fans. It seems to have been a mistake to include LG among the suppliers, a mistake to ship them all with the fan issue, an ongoing disgrace that they're not addressing the issues publicly, and so on. This is all Apple's responsibility. But who at Apple? Name some names from the COO on down. Or Tim Cook.

You probably won't, or shouldn't, because you don't know who exactly was/is responsible. My point is that you have no business naming Tim Cook or his operations guy(s) for supply issues with the mini iPad or the iMacs without knowing a single thing about the technology or the suppliers. With these Retina MacPro issues, you do know something, so start naming your names, if you feel you must.
  • Reply 104 of 202
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I will understand when someone, even a hothead like anant, shows me some causation.

Until then what I don't understand is why some people, who know absolutely nothing about any matter at all, whether it's some personnel thing or screen lamination in Taiwan, feel compelled to claim that Apple's going downhill fast in some area or other, or that Cook is incompetent, etc.

Causation?

It sounds like you have never held a job with important responsibilities. If you did, you'd know that you, and not your underlings or subcontractors, are responsible when the project you lead does not meet milestones on time.

The buck stops somewhere. When Apple promises a product by a certain date and cannot deliver, they are the most responsible party even if Joe Mo in Taiwan was sick for two weeks. That doesn't make them incompetent. But it makes them responsible.

If all the iMacs start failing, do consumers sue Apple or Foxconn?

Your obstinacy is verging on ignorance.

• Reply 105 of 202
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markLouis View Post

Young folks might not realize that many old folks have followed Apple from the very beginning.  The very start.

One thing almost all old Apple folks can agree on is that sometimes Apple simply goes Crazy Eddie.

If you don't know what Crazy Eddie is, google it.

I hope Apple just buys Adobe and takes all those graphic/media industry-standard pieces of software under their protective wing.  But you never know with Apple.  Every now and then, Apple simply goes Crazy Eddie.

Didn't know what Crazy Eddie was- so I googled it, informed myself- and your post makes zero sense.  So Apple sometimes defrauds, embezzles, and rips off shareholders?  Huh?

• Reply 106 of 202
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I strongly disagree on both counts.  Apple has a real and obvious problem with gender disparity (as do most of the tech giants admittedly), and while in an ideal world hiring should be gender blind, it's completely acceptable and quite normal to emphasise female hires over male for a short period so that it's at least somewhat rectified.  This is not only standard business practice in the case of minority and gender disparity, it's sound practice that leads to a good result.  

There is absolutely no evidence at all that putting a thumb on the scales for a black or female or "other" candidate has ever seriously inconvenienced or had a bad effect on the white male majority.  There is however an avalanche of evidence to the effect that in a white male dominated industry, if you wait for the white guys to do the right thing or for "naturally superior" minority candidates to be rationally identified, that it won't happen at all.  

Additionally, this scary thing is that this guy is being hired for a job that's maybe one or two seats away from the "executive page," and one of those seats belongs to Bob Mansfield who has already retired once only to come back when the candidate they got to replace him failed miserably.  

This guy is a bad hire.  Plain and simple. 

Also to counter those saying it … he didn't just support Flash because he worked for the company that made it, he was an evangelist for it.  A rather rabid one at that.  He publicly and childishly ridiculed Apple many times about their lack of support for Flash.  He went far beyond the call in terms of supporting Flash.  I'm sure most have already seen the video where he puts an iPHone in a blender and then runs over another with a steamroller right?  He's a f*cking idiot. 

He's also since doctored his resume page to only mention the cool Apple related things that he's done and removed all the references to all the anti-Apple things he's done (and was proud of).  

At the very least this guy is a dishonest poseur.  His glasses are stupid looking too. 

I'd be curious to know who's decision it was to hire him - Mansfield or Cook.  I'm assuming since he's going to work for Mansfield that Mansfield had a say, or even the final say.  So then are we to question his judgement?  He seems to be rock solid in terms of hardware engineering.  And I've read that Ive really likes working with him (and perhaps had something to do with getting him to un-retire).

• Reply 107 of 202
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    karmadave wrote: »
    Adobe is good at cranking out new versions, of existing products, with 'brutal efficiency'. Apple's recent software efforts have been lagging, in my opinion, so bringing in a guy with software experience makes some sense. Apple REALLY needs to get it's act together in Cloud services. This has never been one of the company's strengths dating all the way back to the AppleLink debacle. iCloud is really not much more than sync technology with very little application functionality. The future of software is the Cloud and having successfully helped Adobe transition many of it's applications to the Cloud I am sure Apple is looking for him to help them do the same. That's my take...

To improve on software efficiency, that is the only reason i could agree on. Which Apple is definitely lacking. Both in terms of Web services and Desktop Software. For a piece of Software as Complex as Adobe Photoshop i think Adobe is actually doing an reasonable if not a fairy good job.

But then if that was *really* the point i could think of at least 5 more who are better then him in the industry.
  • Reply 108 of 202
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

When all other things are equal, a company like Apple should give serious consideration to hiring women and minorities. They seem to be the only major tech company with neither in their senior ranks right now. I don't for a second believe this is deliberate, but it is sticking out like a sore thumb.

First, Eddie Cue is Cuban. I think that qualifies as a minority. Second, people should be hired based strictly on talent. Is it not possible that more men are interested and thereby qualified in engineering? Jesse Jackson once attended an Apple shareholder meeting and questioned Apple's record on hiring minorities. Apple pointed out it hires based on talent, and subsequently a large portion of its workforce is Asian. You didn't hear from Jackson on the matter again. A hard cold fact is there aren't a lot of people in the US qualified in the fields of engineering and the ones that are are generally men. 

You don't see men up in arms because they are disproportionally represented in health care fields and office administration despite some of those jobs being well paying. Further, you have top women CEO's like  Marissa Mayer dissociating themselves from the feminist movement. 

• Reply 109 of 202
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

I strongly disagree on both counts.  Apple has a real and obvious problem with gender disparity (as do most of the tech giants admittedly), and while in an ideal world hiring should be gender blind, it's completely acceptable and quite normal to emphasise female hires over male for a short period so that it's at least somewhat rectified.

I assure you Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Sony, or any of the extremely successful Japanese companies aren't worrying about how many women they hire as executives.  Maybe Honda North America, etc- but absolutely not at the corporate level.  It always cracks me up how your average feminist school teacher talks about how much they care about equal rights- then drive a Honda.  I'm for equal rights, equal pay, and diversity- so long as the best person gets the best job- regardless of gender or race- not "The best african american female" for the job.

The problem is in these technology fields- or any major corporation for that matter- it's all the good old boy mentality.  I wish there was a fortune 500 CEO degree... I'd get that.  Unfortunately- they just recycle the same handful of guys from company to company to company regardless of how well they did or do.

• Reply 110 of 202
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

There is more difference (relatively speaking) between Pages 4.2 and Pages 4.3 than there is between CS3 and CS5.

Yeah like Pages is a complicated application compared to any of CS Suite apps? People who don't own or use a product really shouldn't comment on it.

Here is a list of what's new from CS3 -> CS5

(some of these were introduced in CS4 but improved in CS5)

• Smooth image navigation in Photoshop Extended. 

Quickly turn your canvas for distortion-free viewing at any angle—no more tilting your head while painting and drawing. Navigate gracefully to any area of an image with ultra-smooth zooming and panning.

• Multiple artboards in Illustrator. 

Create files containing up to 100 artboards of varying sizes and display them any way you want—overlapping, side by side, or stacked. Save, export, and print artboards independently or together, even as a multipage PDF file.

• Object-based animation in Flash Professional. 

With object-based animation in Flash Professional, create simple but engaging animations in as few as two steps. Apply tweens directly to objects instead of to keyframes, and easily make changes to motion with Bezier handles.

• Smart Objects in Dreamweaver. 

Insert any Adobe Photoshop PSD document in Dreamweaver to create an image Smart Object tightly linked to the source file. Make changes to the source image and update your image in Dreamweaver without opening Photoshop.

• Advanced motion graphics and effects with After Effects. 

Be productive and creative with advanced features in Adobe After Effects. Searchable timelines and projects, expanded 3D compositing options, motion tracking with mocha, and numerous interface efficiencies stream- line almost everything you do.

• Project intelligence with XMP metadata support. 

Take advantage of the efficiency XMP metadata. For example, Speech Search technology in Adobe Premiere Pro speeds editing by using metadata to turn spoken words into searchable metadata, making it easy to find particular clips and making video assets searchable.

• Adobe OnLocation for shooting direct to disk. 

Get the benefit of a tapeless workflow without a tapeless camera. With Adobe OnLocation, footage is automatically digitized and captured to disk as you shoot.

• Blob Brush tool in Illustrator. 

Sketch with a brush that generates a single clean vector shape, even when strokes overlap. Draw naturally, using the Blob Brush tool together with the Eraser and Smooth tools.

• Content-Aware Scaling in Photoshop Extended. 

Use the revolutionary Content-Aware Scaling feature to automatically recompose an image as you resize it, smartly preserving vital areas as the image adapts to the new dimensions. Get the perfect image in one step without time- intensive cropping and retouching.

Rich, interactive content with Flash Professional. Work with an animation model that makes Adobe Flash Professional easy to learn for new users and provides exceptional efficiency and control for proficient users who are creating immersive interactive experiences.

• Editing efficiency with Adobe Premiere Pro. 

Take advantage of scalable and flexible nonlinear video-editing capabilities to tell your most compelling stories. Native support for tapeless workflows, batch encoding in the background, and numerous enhancements help make editing your projects more efficient.

Photoshop Smart Objects in Dreamweaver. Insert Photoshop PSD documents in Dreamweaver to create an image Smart Object tightly linked to the source file. Make changes to the source image, and then update your image in Dreamweaver without opening Photoshop. 

• PDF Portfolios in Acrobat. 

Assemble layouts, drawings, images, video, audio, and other files into a single dynamic PDF Portfolio. Customize the PDF Portfolio interface using professionally designed templates and interactive navigation.

• Live View in Dreamweaver. 

Design your web pages under real-world browser conditions with Live View in Dreamweaver—while still retaining direct access to the code. Changes to the code are instantly reflected in the rendered display.

• Fireworks included in Master Collection. 

Rapidly prototype websites, application interfaces, and other interactive designs. Design and prototype complete web pages and then export them as CSS-standard HTML, complete with external style sheets. 

• Truer Edge selection technology. 

Get better masking results in less time when selecting even the trickiest image elements, like hair, in Photoshop CS5 Extended. Truer Edge provides amazing edge detection and selection quality when using the Quick Selection tool.

• Export InDesign documents and open in Flash Professional. 

Export InDesign documents to the XFL format and open them in Flash Professional with the visual fidelity of your original layout maintained.

Support for evolving web trends. Create dynamic websites easily using Adobe Dreamweaver CS5.5 with full support for the leading content management frameworks, including Joomla!, Drupal, and WordPress.

• Customizable Links panel in InDesign.

Find, sort, and manage all of your document’s placed files in the customizable Links panel. View attributes that are most critical to your workflow, such as scale, rotation, and resolution. 

• Type enhancements for the web. 

Create sophisticated typography for the web with support for bidirectional and vertical text, flowable text layouts, and support for more than 30 writing systems such as Arabic, Chinese, and Hebrew, in Adobe Flash Professional CS5.5. 

• Enhanced preflighting in Acrobat. 

Control costs and reduce errors with complete preflighting instructions and custom PDF export presets. Automatically validate files and easily fix issues from faulty hairlines to transparency handling, and more.   

• Live Preflight in InDesign. 

Preflight for print while you design. Continuous preflighting alerts you to potential production problems in real time so you can quickly navigate to a problem, fix it directly in layout, and keep working.

• Reply 111 of 202

Quote:

Apple is indeed having trouble getting software out the door but in their defence, they have a much bigger to-do list than Adobe.  

You mean John Siracusa's opinion of what he thinks Apple needs to do.

• Reply 112 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

To improve on software efficiency, that is the only reason i could agree on. Which Apple is definitely lacking. Both in terms of Web services and Desktop Software. For a piece of Software as Complex as Adobe Photoshop i think Adobe is actually doing an reasonable if not a fairy good job.

But then if that was *really* the point i could think of at least 5 more who are better then him in the industry.

If its about software why is this guy reporting to Mansfield instead of Federighi or Cue?  Seems a bit odd 

• Reply 113 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I care about Apple making great products not whether their executive team "looks a lot more like America".

Are you: (a) Implying that I don't care about Apple making great products? (b) The two are mutually exclusive, somehow?

Otherwise, I'll just chalk it up to your trying to funny or fatuous.

• Reply 114 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Obviously it's subjective (and these appointments should be, by no means, at the sacrifice of quality), but I too think it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The talent is obviously there.

Is it? I'd say it isn't, since they're not. There's plenty of really good talent there, sure, but apparently it's not up to executive snuff. 

That is nonsense. How do you suppose companies like Google and IBM manage to find them?

Give me a break.

• Reply 115 of 202
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If its about software why is this guy reporting to Mansfield instead of Federighi or Cue?  Seems a bit odd 

Mansfield used to be VP of Hardware but his title now is Senior VP Technologies. Software could be considered a technology, no?

• Reply 116 of 202
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Causation?

It sounds like you have never held a job with important responsibilities. If you did, you'd know that you, and not your underlings or subcontractors, are responsible when the project you lead does not meet milestones on time.

The buck stops somewhere. When Apple promises a product by a certain date and cannot deliver, they are the most responsible party even if Joe Mo in Taiwan was sick for two weeks. That doesn't make them incompetent. But it makes them responsible.

If all the iMacs start failing, do consumers sue Apple or Foxconn?

Your obstinacy is verging on ignorance.

Interesting that you would name a trivial personnel problem, Joe Mo in Taiwan, when the problems they ran into with the mini were more likely due to things like the chemistry of the films or the adjustment or modification of complex new processing machinery that had never been deployed before.

My point, the reason for my obstinacy, is that internet posters turn themselves into bad clowns when they throw blame around without knowing what they're talking about. And it's damaging to Apple at a critical period during this regime change to be talking trash about the management—trash because it's talk based on ignorance.
  • Reply 117 of 202
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How do you suppose companies like Google and IBM manage to find them?

Because they're there… and not at Apple.

• Reply 118 of 202

andysol>Didn't know what Crazy Eddie was- so I googled it, informed myself- and your post makes zero sense.  So Apple sometimes defrauds, embezzles, and rips off shareholders?  Huh?

Uh, no.  Apple sometimes does bizarre things that make no apparent sense, things that seemingly even do serious damage to themselves and the Apple eco-system in general.  (Just for example, Apple fired Jobs at one point, remember?)  The phrase "Crazy Eddie" used the way I used it in such a context is a phrase and concept out of the novel "The Mote In God's Eye" by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven.

Sorry, I should have been more clear instead of simply suggesting googling the phrase and thereby "informing yourself."  I should have mentioned the book.  Or said something like, "Google the phrase, then Wikipedia it, then take a moment to carefully review the disambiguation page to figure out which one fits."   My bad.

• Reply 119 of 202
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

And you have proof this guy brings nothing? And you're going to sell shares based on your complete lack of knowledge of him and why he was hired?

I have proof of what he as done. So do you. I can only go by his bio and what he actually has done at Adobe. Just like we could only go by track record of Browett and what he did at Dixon's. That was a poor choice that was obvious to everyone but Cook.

If you think that other than being the advocate for  Adobe's stunning Flash failure on mobile or that working in software titles for the Macintosh back to his college years and on FrameMaker or Dreamweaver is bringing "something", well good luck with that.

What I am saying that if this guy were to ever replace Mansflied, I would sell. Hell, I am concerned him with even advising Mansfield.

Look what his advice for Adobe achieved.

I think Cook has a poor track record of hiring VP's and guy who was a failure as the CTO of Adobe, pushing Flash when he should have had the foresight to see it was doomed is not the guy I want leading Apple's technological future.

And if you do, once again, Good Luck With That.

And most seriously it would tell me that Cook is not apt at picking the leadership that will serve Apple for the next decade. Jobs was good at this and Cook is 0 for 2 on his VP choices.

• Reply 120 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because they're there… and not at Apple.

LOL. That makes no sense at all.....