New iPhone lock screen flaw found in iOS 6.1.3, grants access to address book and photos

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just one day after Apple rolled out the latest iOS 6.1.3, which patched an iPhone lock screen security flaw, a similar bug has been discovered that replicates the bypass albeit in a more involved and limited process.

Passcode Flaw
SIM card dialing bug. | Source: videosdebarraquito via Youtube

The flaw, found on Wednesday by YouTube user "videosdebarraquito," allows unauthorized users access a locked handset's address book and photos by ejecting the SIM card while using voice control to make a call.

It appears that the flaw is limited to iPhones without Siri support, as AppleInsider was not able to reproduce the behavior on an iPhone 5.

As seen in the demonstration video, the process is somewhat more involved than simply dialing and canceling an emergency call. In order to reproduce the bug, a malicious user must be using an iPhone incompatible with Siri, which has Voice Control activated, and have a paper clip or SIM card extraction tool. By holding down the Home button when an iPhone is locked, a user can request a number to be dialed. When the Voice Control system initiates the call, the removal of the SIM card tray, and thus the SIM card, defaults the phone app back to the dialing screen. From there, contacts, photos and recent call information can be accessed.

When Apple released iOS 6.1.3 on Tuesday, the company patched a similar lock screen bug that bypassed the lock screen security code to give low-level access to contact information and other assets available from the phone app.

While Tuesday's discovery is likely to be fixed in an upcoming iOS update, for now users can simply turn off "Voice Control" in the Settings menu to disallow unwanted iPhone access.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    This is getting a little ridiculous...
  • Reply 2 of 32
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    ombra2105 wrote: »
    This is getting a little ridiculous...

To be fair, who actually uses Voice Control anyway?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

…by ejecting the SIM card while using voice control to make a call.

This is probably the stupidest exploit I've ever heard of. This is like Woz getting the students to make weird poses to keep the TV running. 

• Reply 4 of 32
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Ousting Scott wasn't such a great idea...
  • Reply 5 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Implying he's somehow leaking all these exploits or that he personally would have been able to prevent them? image

• Reply 6 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hittrj01 wrote: »

I do. Making calls and and for the Music app, mostly.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I do. Making calls and and for the Music app, mostly.

How do you get it to open when Siri is enabled? I tried to ask Siri to open Voice Control and she opened Voice Memos. 

Then I asked Siri if I have Voice Control and she replied "I'd rather not say". image

• Reply 8 of 32
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    How do they figure these things out? Mind boggling!
  • Reply 9 of 32
    mstone wrote: »
    How do you get it to open when Siri is enabled? I tried to ask Siri to open Voice Control and she opened Voice Memos. 

Then I asked Siri if I have Voice Control and she replied "I'd rather not say". :lol:

I may be using a different definition of Voice Control. Siri has replaced what I consider the old style, localized Voice Control for iOS but I still put in that same category of controlling the device by voice, which I also used extensively for contacts and (the then) iPod app as stated previously.

If that is what you are referring to then I know that Voice Control still exists in devices with Siri but you have to disable Siri which will auto-enable it (and auto-disable it when you activate Siri). I wish the local system was more intelligent so that I didn't have to call the Siri servers for items like contacts and playing a album, artist or playlist. Even on LTE with the iPhone 5 it seems noticeably slower than Voice Control on the iPhone 4 for that same task.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Implying he's somehow leaking all these exploits or that he personally would have been able to prevent them? image

Some people just can't stop themselves from spewing nonsense. The Internet does this to people.image

• Reply 11 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Then I asked Siri if I have Voice Control and she replied "I'd rather not say". image

Well, the article does say that the exploit does not work on phones with Siri support. AI couldn't get it to work on an iPhone 5.

• Reply 12 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Well, the article does say that the exploit does not work on phones with Siri support. AI couldn't get it to work on an iPhone 5.

I be willing to bet it will break on an iPhone 5 too if you disable Siri. I'm not going to try it.

• Reply 13 of 32
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

How do they figure these things out? Mind boggling!

They must have A LOT of extra time on their hands doing huge numbers of trial and error until they get something.

Hours upon hours of time wasted....just for their 15 minutes?

• Reply 14 of 32
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    Call one , two, tree. Lol.
    This sh*ts getting to be a joke.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    mstone wrote: »
    I be willing to bet it will break on an iPhone 5 too if you disable Siri. I'm not going to try it.

Considering AI didn't state that they disabled Siri so that the old Voice Control could take over makes it highly likely they didn't.

I'm also not going to test it.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    kimk69 wrote: »
    Call one , two, tree. Lol.
    This sh*ts getting to be a joke.

I wasn't going to say anything but the bigger story is that Voice Control understood what he was saying.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I would imagine Samsung is paying people to make and distribute these findings. It doesn't matter how obscure the exploit is or how few users it might affect, the only message that is likely to filter through to nromal news channels is that iphone security can be bypassed.

The average user is still likely to disclose more personal information to a broader audience by installing a single android application.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    So maybe this why my Bluetooth in the truck will not sync with my iPhone 5 after I downloaded 6.1.3?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Implying he's somehow leaking all these exploits or that he personally would have been able to prevent them? :rolleyes:

I agree with others here.. This smells like shill bait by Same-sung... Funny all these exploits seem to coincide with Same-sungs "SAFE" multi million dollar marketing push???
  • Reply 20 of 32
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Voice control (and thus this bug) is only used on old model phones now.  If you use Siri or have an iPhone 5 this exploit doesn't work.  

So the group affected is users with old hardware or who haven't updated the OS in a long time who also have voice control enabled and also happen to lose their phone and the guy that finds the phone is a criminal and he knows about this exploit because he's a geek and has a SIM ejection pin handy in his pocket.  Even then, he will only be able to see your address book and your camera roll.  

So … yeah, really gigantic security hole.  /s