Rumor: 'iPhone 5S' components to ship in May ahead of 3Q launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Adding to the pile of rumors regarding the so-called "iPhone 5S," a report on Wednesday claims Apple's partner suppliers will begin shipping parts for the iPhone 5 follow-up by the end of May, with assembly of the smartphone to follow soon after.

The sometimes reliable DigiTimes citied upstream supply chain sources as saying the May timeline could yield a next-generation Apple handset by the third quarter, largely in line with analyst expectations and the company's usual annual refresh cycle.

iPhone 5

It was reported earlier in March that Apple would debut an "S series" update to its iPhone lineup alongside a low-cost handset in August. Other estimates peg the release a bit earlier in the June to July period, while one rumor claims Foxconn has already started production of the "5S" on the same assembly lines as the current iPhone 5.

Sources also cited their "latest specification data" and reiterated existing rumors that the handset's design will remain largely unchanged from the iPhone 5. As for internal component upgrades, enhancements are said to include a higher megapixel camera and a faster processor.

Many of the predictions reported on Wednesday echo those made in January by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who believes the iPhone 5S and low-cost fiberglass hybrid iPhone will launch in the third quarter. He also expects the cheaper model to boast the same 4-inch display found on the iPhone 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple hasn't exactly been logical with their naming schemes but 5S seems really odd for marketing. The number and letter combo just look too similar to me.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple hasn't exactly been logical with their naming schemes but 5S seems really odd for marketing. The number and letter combo just look too similar to me.

3G -> 3GS -> 4 -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S

How is that odd? Seems right in line with their naming pattern thus far.

• Reply 3 of 61
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

And if this is true, I think this is good news. June/July launches always seemed more positive to me than the last two late fall launches. Makes more sense strategically as well, as they'll get the initial high launch sales, and then just around the time that begins to taper off, the Holiday shopping season kicks into gear. Better to have one long sale stretched out across 5 months than one crazy delayed shipping 2-3 month sale, followed by a huge post-holiday slump.

• Reply 4 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cash907 wrote: »
    3G -> 3GS -> 4 -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S

How is that odd? Seems right in line with their naming pattern thus far.

2nd gen — 3G (named for the cellular radio being added; there was no iPhone 2 nor iPhone 3)

6th gen — 5 (named because it came 2 generations after the first 4)

The only constant has been adding an 'S' at the end of a new model using the same body styling which is why these rumours are using that name hence my statement their naming scheme hasn't exactly been logical. It's illogical for you to point out a single constant and then declare that there entire naming scheme has followed the same, consistent patten when it clearly hasn't.

But back on point, iPhone S5 looks odd for marketing when the two characters are so similar in their base design.
  • Reply 5 of 61

iPhone - first iPhone

3G - iPhone with 3G

3GS - faster 3G speed

4 - 4th iPhone

4S - for-steve

So, now we have the iPhone 5, which isn't the 5th iPhone, it's not 5G, the name has noting to do with any of the hardware.

Then the iPhone 5S, once again, doesn't fit in line.

• Reply 6 of 61
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I would like to see a larger screen phone with at least 2G or more of RAM. Something around 4.5 inch would be fine for me. It's just that my eyesight isn't so good, plus I would also like to see them have larger keys on the keypad screen. I would like them to improve the app switcher and have faster access to the WiFi/BlueTooth on/off and brightness settings.

I'm also surprised that they don't have stereo speakers built in, plus they need to have the speakers face the user, not downward. I think the HTC One has a nice design with respect to the side facing the user.
  • Reply 7 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I would like to see a larger screen phone with at least 2G or more of RAM. Something around 4.5 inch would be fine for me. It's just that my eyesight isn't so good, plus I would also like to see them have larger keys on the keypad screen. I would like them to improve the app switcher and have faster access to the WiFi/BlueTooth on/off and brightness settings.

I'm also surprised that they don't have stereo speakers built in, plus they need to have the speakers face the user, not downward. I think the HTC One has a nice design with respect to the side facing the user.

Then why not just go get an Android phone which already has all the features you mentioned?

• Reply 8 of 61
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryantsai View Post

Then why not just go get an Android phone which already has all the features you mentioned?

Because user experience is not just all about 'features'.....

• Reply 9 of 61
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Sometimes reliable, that's funny.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I would like to see ... at least 2G or more of RAM

Why?  When is RAM ever a limiting factor with an iPhone?

• Reply 11 of 61

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple came with a new design and called it the iPhone 6. That would counter samsung who is trying to align itself with Apple's release schedule.

• Reply 12 of 61
    barleybarley Posts: 10member
    I often wonder why they don't make the home button screen based and lightly shaded, and move the speaker up to be diagonally on the edge of the screen and case. This would make room for a bigger screen on the existing 4s sized phone.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    barleybarley Posts: 10member
    I often wonder why they don't make the home button screen based and lightly shaded, and move the speaker up to be diagonally on the edge of the screen and case. This would make room for a bigger screen on the existing 4s sized phone.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    barley wrote: »

Wow, that IS often :)
  • Reply 15 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barley View Post

I guess you've seen some concepts like that. I think it might look great too. The top bezel is basically useless. I guess it's just a matter of miniaturization.

• Reply 16 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    crowley wrote: »
    Why?  When is RAM ever a limiting factor with an iPhone?

Some games tax the RAM to its limit, at least on my 4S. There are periodic delays that appear to be due to swapping. I don't know if the iPhone 5 is better on those games, but the games will only get more challenging. It's an eternal tradeoff. More RAM is always helpful, but it has to be balanced against the cost and energy usage. It's impossible to install enough RAM for the worst case scenario, so the RAM level is usually made sufficient for most users, not all.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    I wonder why they don't put an LED behind the home button and have that little square light up when you have a message or are using the phone in the dark. Not that it's difficult to use in the dark but would still be a nice little touch.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member

Quote:

2nd gen — 3G (named for the cellular radio being added; there was no iPhone 2 nor iPhone 3)

The only constant has been adding an 'S' at the end of a new model using the same body styling which is why these rumours are using that name hence my statement their naming scheme hasn't exactly been logical. It's illogical for you to point out a single constant and then declare that there entire naming scheme has followed the same, consistent patten when it clearly hasn't.

But back on point, iPhone S5 looks odd for marketing when the two characters are so similar in their base design.

That is so cool. That will chop samsung on its knees when its tiime for the next galaxy s phone.

• Reply 19 of 61
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

I would refine your statement by saying the 2nd gen 3G was named oddly (for Apple) as they had to then keep with the increased numbering and put the entire line out of sync. 

I predict that Apple will drop the numbering as they did the iPad. 

• Reply 20 of 61
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

I wonder why they don't put an LED behind the home button and have that little square light up when you have a message or are using the phone in the dark. Not that it's difficult to use in the dark but would still be a nice little touch.

As long as you can set it to either display email or phone only messages as I will always have new emails, but would be interesting to see I have a new VM on my phone at a glance. 

Good thinking!