DoD reportedly set to buy 650,000 iOS devices to replace legacy products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It helps to read the article:

"with the buy set to go through after the ongoing federal spending cuts have completed."

The DoD couldn't afford to buy new PCs... this is their way of cutting costs AND moving boldly into the post-PC era.

Balmer has got to be throwing chairs. He has nothing the DoD wants. If RIMM or MSFT had anything to show back in early 2012, they MIGHT have been able to be part of this buy... but...

• Reply 22 of 45
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Dated? Really? Cause all I hear is how "radical" his policies are, and every single change he makes, no matter what it is, is opposed vehemently by the many who despise him. 

Something can be both dated and radical at the same time, you just have to look back at history for examples of ideologies that could be considered both dated and radical.

• Reply 23 of 45
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    Keep the politics out of this board please
  • Reply 24 of 45
    jpvnjpvn Posts: 40member
    at least there doing something smart by going with apple... i guess we wont hear this on cnbc or cramer..
  • Reply 25 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Oh great, now North Korea is going to start cyber attacking iOS devices.

• Reply 26 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    msuberly wrote: »
    Which won't be until next fiscal year at the soonest.

Unlikely. Congress will eventually have to get together and do something. If they wait until next fiscal year, look for a 70% new House in 2014.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member

Quote:

Originally Posted by danyak View Post

Obama probably still does use a BB, like his policies, dated and desperately needing an update.

I guess that's still way better than McCain who didn't know how to send an email.

• Reply 28 of 45

John McCain couldn't use a computer keyboard because of the injuries done to both arms during the Vietnam War.  Both arms were badly broken and he was a prisoner of war, so arms were not properly set. 

Yeah he didn't know how to send an email.  

• Reply 29 of 45
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jungmark wrote: »
    If true, this is terrible news for Apple. WS spin: tax payer money wasted on iDevices.

So far, Google shows no reporting of this beyond the Apple-centric web sites. Will the WSJ pick it up?
  • Reply 30 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeWinter View Post

John McCain couldn't use a computer keyboard because of the injuries done to both arms during the Vietnam War.  Both arms were badly broken and he was a prisoner of war, so arms were not properly set. 

Yeah he didn't know how to send an email.  

Steven Hawking can send emails or at least his personal assistant can help him. What is John's excuse ... his wife was busy at the country club?

• Reply 31 of 45
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Wow, the comments here are way different than Mac Rumors, came here thinking I had an argument, but no. Everyone here seems to be on board with this. 

MacRumors users say it was a waste of money... sequester blah blah blah. 

I work at a VERY large company who recently purchased an iOS device for every employee. I'm one of the iOS devs for the internal enterprise software for that company. They have already started saving money by avoiding massive print jobs, internal on-the-site communication, keeping everyone up to speed on the competition, sharing reports, etc. There is a lot they DoD can do with these, and with Apple giving them an indefinite enterprise certificate, they could create a lot of software that just isn't possible on the App Store with Apple's rules. 

Others were bitching about not going with Android because it's open source, blah kinda. But is the DoD going to really modify kernels?

• Reply 32 of 45
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Steven Hawking can send emails or at least his personal assistant can help him. What is John's excuse ... his wife was busy at the country club?

I just spit whiskey hot chocolate on my thunderbolt display. Thanks.

• Reply 33 of 45
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    This is nothing. There are 10s of people on the Ars Techica forum that will offset this purchase.

But seriously, every time I hear the "Android is open" or "Android gives you choice" I just smirk. There's no Android. Only Samsung.

The DoD is just acting Iike most other enterprises. Buying the most manageable and standard solution.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I hope, if the iOS devices work out, they also buy Macs for the desktop. Call me old fashioned but I still care about the Mac and want it to keep growing.

• Reply 35 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

...but, but, I'm sure someone was posting the other day how battle hardened Donut will be used by the DOD.

The post had lots of big words and technical sounding stuff about kernels, sandboxes, encryption and everything.

• Reply 36 of 45
    Trillions of dollars in debt and this is what we do with our tax dollars? Now I understand why Tim Cook was dating Obama earlier this year. Kissy..kissy....we need you now...if Apple tanks...its only going to get worse for you Obama....Hands....holding..hands...reaching out.....How about feeding the hungry or creating jobs for us little guys....tsk ...tsk...Obama!
  • Reply 37 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Is Obama still using a BB phone? That has to be the icing on the cake for Apple ][. :D

Bad Soli! ;)
  • Reply 38 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    hollybolly wrote: »
    Trillions of dollars in debt and this is what we do with our tax dollars? Now I understand why Tim Cook was dating Obama earlier this year. Kissy..kissy....we need you now...if Apple tanks...its only going to get worse for you Obama....Hands....holding..hands...reaching out.....How about feeding the hungry or creating jobs for us little guys....tsk ...tsk...Obama!

It could be saving a lot of money, thought of that? Buying the best equipment is not a waste or a folly. It's not as if we don't need the DoD!
  • Reply 39 of 45
    gcguygcguy Posts: 14member
    Don't be foolish. The only things being cut are show pieces so BlackBerry Barry can say..look at how bad those nasty Republicans are. Make the house Libtard in 2014. See what I can do then. Crash. Boom. End of America.
    msuberly wrote: »
    With sequestration, DoD isn't buying shiit. "Unconfirmed reports"
  • Reply 40 of 45
    buccibucci Posts: 100member

Buying iOS devices is actually a good way to save money.  If you knew how much the gov spent per computer on MS CALs you would be shocked.