Panoramic Printing from iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Does anyone know of a good service for getting panoramic prints from an iphone 5 onto Canvas.

I've found these people in Google printpanoramics but I'm unsure as to what the quality would be like on a large Canvas size.

Any experience?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3

hi

i would be interested to know the same as well!

finding it hard to hold the arrow/hand steady when taking panoramic pic with iphone 5 though, using the print n share app to print them out at the moment

• Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    applegal wrote: »
    I'm unsure as to what the quality would be like on a large Canvas size.

You can tell roughly by the resolution of your photo. Typically you want 300 dpi (that's around what Apple uses as a measure for their Retina displays at a handheld distance).

So if your photo resolution is 11,000 x 2,500 (you can find this in Preview > tools > show inspector), then to get 300 dpi quality, your maximum canvas size would be approx. 36" x 8". That's around the size of their smallest canvas. Their highest option is around 190 dpi.

If you plan to have the photo at a viewing distance beyond handheld distance (say it's behind a sofa rather than in a hallway), you can get away with lower quality but it will depend on how good the photo is too. If you open it in Preview and zoom it to roughly the size it will be when you hang it on the wall, you can check that it looks ok at that zoom level. If it's too blurry, scale it down until it looks good at the desired viewing distance and go with the relevant frame size.

They will most likely be able to tell you if your supplied photo will come out ok but given that it's an iPhone service, I'd assume they've tested it and found that all of those sizes work fine.
  • Reply 3 of 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can tell roughly by the resolution of your photo. Typically you want 300 dpi (that's around what Apple uses as a measure for their Retina displays at a handheld distance).

So if your photo resolution is 11,000 x 2,500 (you can find this in Preview > tools > show inspector), then to get 300 dpi quality, your maximum canvas size would be approx. 36" x 8". That's around the size of their smallest canvas. Their highest option is around 190 dpi.

If you plan to have the photo at a viewing distance beyond handheld distance (say it's behind a sofa rather than in a hallway), you can get away with lower quality but it will depend on how good the photo is too. If you open it in Preview and zoom it to roughly the size it will be when you hang it on the wall, you can check that it looks ok at that zoom level. If it's too blurry, scale it down until it looks good at the desired viewing distance and go with the relevant frame size.

They will most likely be able to tell you if your supplied photo will come out ok but given that it's an iPhone service, I'd assume they've tested it and found that all of those sizes work fine.

Glossy magazines aim to utilise photos at 300ppi (dpi is when it's printed) but for larger prints you can get great results at much lower ppi. iPanorama Prints can utilise photos at native resolution (72ppi) at up to 150" wide without loss of quality due to high dpi 8-ink printers. I'm not a fan of canvas as they don't pick up the quality resolution of the iphone panorama photos.