New Samsung smart watch will be company's third stab at wrist accessory

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Samsung recently tipped that it plans to enter the connected smart watch market, but the company has twice in the past also attempted and failed to pioneer with such a device.

Samsung SPH-WP10
The Samsung SPH-WP10 launched in 1999.

Earlier this week, a Samsung executive revealed the Korean company is working on an entry into the mobile computing arena. Nothing about the device has been disclosed, but the reveal comes on the heels of rumors that Apple is planning to offer its own so-called "iWatch," and as devices like the Pebble, MetaWatch and I'm Watch have been earning buzz.

But well before the smart watches of today, Samsung also attempted to pioneer the market on two occasions, as highlighted by Josh Lowensohn of CNet this week. The first attempt came in 1999 when Samsung introduced the SPH-WP10, which was essentially an entire cell phone worn on the wrist.

When the product was unveiled, Samsung expressed the believe that the phone market was "nearly saturated." Its strategy at the time was to create a product that would appeal to "specific generations of mobile telecommunications service users," in particular the youth market.

The SPH-WP10 came with an advertised 90-minutes of talk time with an integrated speaker and microphone. As was common with phones at the time, it had a protruding antenna, as well as a monochrome LCD screen.

Samsung S9110 Watch Phone
The Samsung S9110 Watch Phone launched in 2009, a decade after its predecessor.

Samsung's second attempt was in 2009, when the company launched the S9110 Watch Phone. It also was a full-featured phone that included the ability to make calls from your wrist.

More in line with modern smartphones and not unlike Apple's previous-generation clip-on iPod nano, the Samsung S9110 featured a 1.76-inch color LCD display and was 11.98 millimeters thin.

While Samsung's first two wrist watch attempts sought to be devices that would do it all, more recent smart watch efforts like the Pebble and MetaWatch have instead opted to be smartphone accessories. The newer watches rely on a Bluetooth connection to a separate handset for data and connectivity, providing information such as weather updates, GPS data, and notifications of phone calls or text messages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Nobody can be successful UNLESS Apple does it
  • Reply 2 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sammy's researchers are based in a restaurant curiously outside Apple HQ.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Samsung SPH-WP10

The Samsung SPH-WP10 launched in 1999.

Wow high tech in its day.  The antenna wont fit past the cuff of the sleeve.  Most the so called high tech watches are too thick for professional use.  There is no practical use for a device in the professional corporate world.

• Reply 4 of 42
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Those are butt ugly. They are also too big. If it has to be thicker and heavier than an average watch, forget it.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Why didn't this become successful ?

They should have cleaned up.

(do I really have to put the sarcasm tag on this?!)

• Reply 6 of 42
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Samsung copies everything Apple does, even the rumors.

• Reply 7 of 42
    hattighattig Posts: 860member

Of course when Samsung release their next phone, even if it arrives before Apple release their own device (if they ever do), Samsung will be accused of copying Apple, or the idea (even though these two devices show that Samsung have had the idea of a smart watch before).

Of course you have to wait until the technology is ready to do it in an acceptable way, which it clearly wasn't for that first Samsung device! But hey, 1999. Apple wouldn't have released something that clearly wasn't suitable for release - even if it wasn't perfect (e.g., Apple TVs weren't perfect but they were fine for their market).

• Reply 8 of 42
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I think in 1999, this would have been very revolutionary.  It's less than half the size of the average cell phone of the time and goes on your wrist like a Dick Tracy watch.  

Without looking it up, my guess (re: it's failure) would be either that it never came to market, or that it did, but cost thousands of dollars.  

• Reply 9 of 42
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Those are butt ugly. They are also too big. If it has to be thicker and heavier than an average watch, forget it.

Don't forget that these watches were independent phones. They did not require a standalone phone to be paired to like the pebble. If you consider this, they are incredibly thin for 4 years old. And I think the design is not half bad. Take out the phone part and add bluetooth; it gets much thinner and a smaller bezel with 4 years of screen advancement and I think it could look great. Not that I'd buy it.

• Reply 10 of 42

One thing is for sure; if/when Apple comes out with their wristwatch, Samsung won't be manufacturing it! :)

I guess two things...Apple's will be elegant and not clunky! :)

• Reply 11 of 42
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Boy I bet that would have given Dick Tracy wood -- BTW is that an antenna or a vibrator?

• Reply 12 of 42

Quote:

Oh they probably cleaned up alright - After seeing this, Samsung probably cleaned the whole lab, the marketing folks, in fact everyone involved.

If you look at this picture long enough (after you stop laughing) its just a small regular phone on its side, with a strap attached.

• Reply 13 of 42
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

One thing is for sure; if/when Apple comes out with their wristwatch, Samsung won't be manufacturing it! :)

I guess two things...Apple's will be elegant and not clunky! :)

At the time of the S9110 Samsung watch phone release, it was the thinnest touchscreen phone in the world (including the iPhone). 

• Reply 14 of 42
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    This is unfortunate to Apple. Samsung is completely ready to copy the features of Apple iWatch in a short time.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bilbo63 wrote: »

I actually love them. All of them! I'm not saying that I would buy or wear any of them, but all have a certain juno say paw.

In comparison to the much lauded Pebble I like Samsung's offering from 4 years ago more. The better display, the smoother face, the leather band, the higher-quality design, and the host girl smiling at me are all more appealing. I have no idea of its specs, usability or price (and don't care to know) but based on looks along I prefer it.

It all gives me hope that Apple can come up with something better since I'm looking at older tech that isn't as butt-ugly as the Pebble watch. Add in there Apple being able to offload more tasks into the iPhone (which Samsung's options wouldn't have been able to do well) as well as not ruling out Apple potentially making a more efficient wireless protocol for their specific data stream (there Nike+ dongles use a homegrown version of 802.11's protocol) and you could have the first smart watch that people want to buy.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    maltamalta Posts: 78member

Really?

Comparing a cell phone watch from 1999 to today? Little bit of a stretch don’t you think? 

By the way want to see the GREAT things Apple was doing in 1999...

"Hockey puck" mouse and we all know how much of a success that was.

• Reply 17 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by malta View Post

Really?

Comparing a cell phone watch from 1999 to today? Little bit of a stretch don’t you think? 

Not when the purpose was to illustrate just how long they've been in the business of watches. Pay attention.

By the way want to see the GREAT things Apple was doing in 1999… "Hockey puck" mouse and we all know how much of a success that was.

Fast forward to now; they've created the best mouse and trackpad on the market. See? Perspective.

• Reply 18 of 42
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

You can still buy the S9110 online right now.

http://www.electronicsforce.com/samsung-s9110-unlocked-watch-no-contract-cell-phone-p-56886.html#googlebase

http://www.cell2get.com/samsung-s9110-unlocked-watch-cell-phone-p-1900.html#googlebase

AI is also missing the second generation Samsung Watch Phone

This next one is the third generation

Now that there is enough proof that Samsung has had (and marketed) a watch phone before Apple did, can we stop the accusations now?

Samsung was ahead of its time when there were introducing these products. They had the same fate as Apple's Newton.

Engadget's write up about the S9110

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/22/samsungs-s9110-touchscreen-watchphone-syncs-with-outlook-on-sa/

• Reply 19 of 42
    Should be much better this time now they have someone to copy from
  • Reply 20 of 42
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Nobody can be successful UNLESS Apple does it

ever heard of Palm or Blackberry?