Rumor: 'iPhone 5S' components to ship in May ahead of 3Q launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I can't speak for anyone else but I felt the way gwmac describes when I saw the first iMac and then again when I saw the 1/2 soccer ball.

How about OSX? First version wasn't that hot but the potential was obvious. A breakthrough that Apple had been working on for well over a decade.

It can be done.

Exactly. I wasn't talking about inventing an iPhone with a holographic projector , simply releasing an iPhone that is a surprise and is far different from any rumor predicted. Apple still has the ability to wow and amaze us with possibly something no one here ever imagined and no rumor site predicted. At least I would sure like to think so. Smartphones in 2018 will very likely be just as different from phones today as the ones from 2008 are from the iPhone 5. There is no reason why Apple can't be the first to introduce that next big advance. It might even be in iOS as opposed to hardware, but it can be done. 

• Reply 42 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I can't speak for anyone else but I felt the way gwmac describes when I saw the first iMac and then again when I saw the 1/2 soccer ball.

How about OSX? First version wasn't that hot but the potential was obvious. A breakthrough that Apple had been working on for well over a decade.

It can be done.

The difference between the original Mac and the first flatscreen iMac (which I have on my other desk and still use to VNC into my router rack, BTW) have decades of technological changes between them. The same can be said for the old Mac OS and turning NeXTSTEP into Mac OS X. Note that the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad are all more similar in their HW and OS than either the original Mac to the first flatscreen iMac, and Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Let's remember we had a stagnant, unfocused, and nearly dead Apple before we saw that changes.

I don't want Apple to collapse again just so they can have another rebirth. I want their tech to evolve, to become better over time, just as it's been doing in the iPhone for 6 years. If they have a better idea for a UI that's great but it no way should this be the throw-shit-at-the-wall maneuvering we see from other vendors. I want Apple to only think of longterm solutions; solutions that have clearly made most of their products so well founded.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Seems to have changed his tune a bit since then and a 4" 16:9 form factor is now perfection that can never be altered.

Please shut up.

I still don't like 16:9 anywhere but a TV. That it's one of the working ratios for a phone can be secondary to that. I still don't have a portable device with a 16:9 screen, so I'll keep reserving my final judgement on it until then.

I do know, however, having used a tablet at 16:9, that it's NOT a good ratio for a tablet-sized device.

• Reply 44 of 61
    gwmac wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about inventing an iPhone with a holographic projector , simply releasing an iPhone that is a surprise and is far different from any rumor predicted.

Then your best bet is not to read the rumours. What can Apple actually conjure, design, implement, and mass produce for their market that the world can't even fathom as to make an off the cuff comment about it? Even in your comment here you mention a holographic projector. It's hyperbole, sure, but once that tech get anywhere close to a reality of there is some proof of concept in a lab or some patents or some half-assed attempt by some company that simply wants to say "first" the rumours start flying. Even now we have rumours of smartwatches, TVs, eye tracking, etc. that all point to nothing but people are somewhat expecting now that it's been mentioned. Disappoint will follow every event they have. There mindshare is just too high.
  • Reply 45 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The difference between the original Mac and the first flatscreen iMac (which I have on my other desk and still use to VNC into my router rack, BTW) have decades of technological changes between them. The same can be said for the old Mac OS and turning NeXTSTEP into Mac OS X. Note that the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad are all more similar in their HW and OS than either the original Mac to the first flatscreen iMac, and Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Let's remember we had a stagnant, unfocused, and nearly dead Apple before we saw that changes.

I don't want Apple to collapse again just so they can have another rebirth. I want their tech to evolve, to become better over time, just as it's been doing in the iPhone for 6 years. If they have a better idea for a UI that's great but it no way should this be the throw-shit-at-the-wall maneuvering we see from other vendors. I want Apple to only think of longterm solutions; solutions that have clearly made most of their products so well founded.

You seem to forget that advances and expectations have changed considerably. What used to take two decades to create a vast change now takes less than a decade, perhaps even 5 years.

Maybe not this year but I expect Apple to knock my socks off again sometime in the next 2-3 years.

If not Apple then someone else will.

• Reply 46 of 61

You seem to forget that advances and expectations have changed considerably. What used to take a decade or two to create a vast change now takes less than a decade, perhaps even 5 years.

Maybe not this year but I expect Apple to knock my socks off again sometime in the next 2-3 years.

If not Apple then someone else will.

Oh, I have not forgotten about the collective's expectations of Apple. In fact, my comments to gwmac is based squarely around people having improbably expectations that are highly likely to result in disappointment. We when from the iPod in 2001 to the iPhone 6 years later, then the iPad 3 years later (which people complained about) to wanting something else the following year. I'm sorry, but you can't give Veruca a golden egg every time she asks for one.
  • Reply 47 of 61

Quote:

Oh, I have not forgotten about the collective's expectations of Apple. In fact, my comments to gwmac is based squarely around people having improbably expectations that are highly likely to result in disappointment. We when from the iPod in 2001 to the iPhone 6 years later, then the iPad 3 years later (which people complained about) to wanting something else the following year. I'm sorry, but you can't give Veruca a golden egg every time she asks for one.

Well, if you didn't forget that then you definitely forgot who it was that made us come to expect great change every 6 or 7 years.

Steve Jobs along with his pal introduced the Apple I in '76 and 7 1/2 years later Jobs introduced the Mac... but then he was gone for 13 years.

Steve comes back and within a year he introduces the iMac, and then OS X, and then the iPod, and then the iPhone, and then the iPad... all within a 14 year period. (I didn't put the iPad Mini in with that group... it was just an extension of the iPad imo)

So, yes... I do expect Apple to bring out something revolutionary every 6 or 7 years (nobody said anything about "every year"). That's what got them to where they were at $700 per share and that's what people expect to see from them to increase Apple's share value.

Apple can be evolutionary if it wants but that's not where Steve had taken Apple in those 15 brief years he was at Apple 2. Steve made people expect more from Apple.

• Reply 48 of 61

Well, if you didn't forget that then you definitely forgot who it was that made us come to expect great change every 6 or 7 years.

Steve Jobs along with his pal introduced the Apple I in '76 and 7 1/2 years later Jobs introduced the Mac... but then he was gone for 13 years.

Steve comes back and within a year he introduces the iMac, and then OS X, and then the iPod, and then the iPhone, and then the iPad... all within a 14 year period. (I didn't put the iPad Mini in with that group... it was just an extension of the iPad imo)

So, yes... I do expect Apple to bring out something revolutionary every 6 or 7 years (nobody said anything about "every year"). That's what got them to where they were at $700 per share and that's what people expect to see from them to increase Apple's share value.

Apple can be evolutionary if it wants but that's not where Steve had taken Apple in those 15 brief years he was at Apple 2.

6 or 7 years? Sure. But that's not the expectation as the iPad launched 3 years ago next month.

Something revolutionary? Sure. But to expect the same product to be completely revamped every year because it's too familiar is not what I expect when I expect pushing into technology categories.
  • Reply 49 of 61

That's what got them to where they were at $700 per share and that's what people expect to see from them to increase Apple's share value.

That exclusively? Because Wall Street couldn't have cared less about this up until roughly a year ago.

• Reply 50 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That exclusively? Because Wall Street couldn't have cared less about this up until roughly a year ago.

Your opinion.

• Reply 51 of 61

Quote:

6 or 7 years? Sure. But that's not the expectation as the iPad launched 3 years ago next month.

Something revolutionary? Sure. But to expect the same product to be completely revamped every year because it's too familiar is not what I expect when I expect pushing into technology categories.

You'll notice that I said within the next 2 or 3 years... making it 5 to 6 years since the iPad. As we move forward the technology expectation curve will be even more compressed. As mentioned, Jobs seemed to be able to do that.

I expect the iProducts to be "totally" revamped every 3-4 years at this point and soon it might have to be every 2-3 years. I'd like to see a new product category every 5-6 years. So far the competition doesn't seem to be giving Apple too much of a push.

• Reply 52 of 61

Your opinion.

And it's yours that they cared before that.

• Reply 53 of 61

Quote:

And it's yours that they cared before that.

It seemed to matter to somebody on Wall Street.

The excitement that SJ and all his new products brought to Apple seemed to translate into increased sales and that seemed to translate into increased share value.

Correlation is there.

So... Yes.

• Reply 54 of 61

The excitement that SJ and all his new products brought to Apple seemed to translate into increased sales and that seemed to translate into increased share value.

So the increased sales since Jobs' death are… nothing. Meaningless. Had to be Jobs and Jobs alone.

Something's wrong in your flow chart.

• Reply 55 of 61

Quote:

So the increased sales since Jobs' death are… nothing. Meaningless. Had to be Jobs and Jobs alone.

Something's wrong in your flow chart.

Nothing wrong at all.

Sculley increased Apple's bottom line as well... and then look what happened. Not that I am saying that the current team should be compared to Sculley, Spindler or Amelio... but that seems to be what Wall Street is thinking... especially when the last holiday quarter didn't quite stack up to previous holiday quarters q to q.

You seem to be saying that Jobs had nothing to do with the iPhone or iPad.

• Reply 56 of 61

You seem to be saying that Jobs had nothing to do with the iPhone or iPad.

HA! You seem to be saying the retina MacBook Pro had no "excitement" to it. Or at the very least, less than even the least exciting Steve Jobs product.

• Reply 57 of 61

Quote:

HA! You seem to be saying the retina MacBook Pro had no "excitement" to it. Or at the very least, less than even the least exciting Steve Jobs product.

The retina MacBook Pro was exciting?

Hermit standing in a room filled with 1000 people off the street: "Hey everybody, did you know the MacBook Pro now has a retina display?"

Low murmur in the room, a few hands go up.

Hermit: "Hey everybody, do you know about Apple's iPad?"

The vast majority of the room bursts into excited applause and the chatter increases to a fever pitch.

• Reply 58 of 61

The retina MacBook Pro was exciting?

Hermit standing in a room filled with 1000 people off the street: "Hey everybody, did you know the MacBook Pro now has a retina display?"

Low murmur in the room, a few hands go up.

Hermit: "Hey everybody, do you know about Apple's iPad?"

The vast majority of the room bursts into excited applause and the chatter increases to a fever pitch.

Again, how foolish of me for trying to use one set of logic to argue…

• Reply 59 of 61

Quote:

Again, how foolish of me for trying to use one set of logic to argue…

Either Apple is developing their products for attendees to MacWorld and WWDC specifically or Apple is developing products for the everyperson.

Retina display might get the rocks off for the first groups... but barely makes a ripple on the second group... even if it is quite an accomplishment.

Just trying to define what I mean when I say "excitement".

• Reply 60 of 61
    I recently switched to Sony Xperia Z from iPhone 5. I found that Android Jelly Bean is actually highly usable. Not as bad user experience as I once thought. iOS definitely has a prettier UI but Jelly Bean is also quite good. I am using Xperia Z and iPad mini. Best of both OS worlds :)