Apple's iPhone dominates for 9th straight win in JD Power customer satisfaction survey

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
iPhone users' favorable impression of Apple customer support is so dominant that its J.D. Power score singlehandedly boosts the average ranking of the entire smartphone industry.

JD Power

The latest customer satisfaction rankings from J.D. Power and Associates show that once again Apple is the top company for customer support in the smartphone industry. Thursday's result marks the ninth straight time that Apple has taken first place.

Apple earned a score of 855 out of a possible 1,000 in the Smartphone Index Rankings. The iPhone maker's score was so high that every competing smartphone maker actually had a score below the study average.

Skewed by Apple, the study had an average score of 796, which was one point better than second-place manufacturer Nokia. Nokia's lead over its rivals is also slim, with Samsung, Motorola and HTC each earning respective scores of 793, 792 and 790.

From there, the scores drop off a bit more, as LG came in sixth with 744, and BlackBerry took last in the poll with a score of 732.

Apple was the only company among all smartphone makers to earn five "Power Circles" in the study. Nokia, Samsung, Motorola and HTC each earned three, while LG and BlackBerry took two.

"As the capabilities of wireless phones and their applications continue to expand, and as customers grow more reliant on their device, handset manufacturers have an opportunity to further shape the customer experience and impact satisfaction with better integration of services and more communication options, such as video chat," said Kirk Parsons, senior director of telecommunications services at J.D. Power and Associates.

"It is important, however, that manufacturers meet the expectations of those customers who take advantage of such offers by ensuring the features are intuitive and, ultimately, rewarding to them. Providing an easy-to-use, yet powerful operating system with the ability to customize applications to suit individual needs is essential to providing a high-quality and rewarding wireless experience."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    I doubt The BBC and The Guardian will mention this survey.
    Doubt.
  • Reply 2 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Skewed by Apple, the study had an average score of 796, which was one point better than second-place manufacturer Nokia. Nokia's lead over its rivals is also slim, with Samsung, Motorola and HTC each earning respective scores of 793, 792 and 790.

See, the average can be 103% of....image

• Reply 3 of 30
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    This high level of customer support is obviously an act of desperation. Apple is doomed.

(/s)
  • Reply 4 of 30
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Hmmm?

This chart seems rather misleading as it t takes a small chunk of the 1000 (only 250) and blows it up with no indication on the bottom of the bars that the bottom of the graph is cut off. This makes blackberry look like it is off of Apple by half, when in fact the difference is much smaller.

Seriously Now... An overall 80% is barely a pass, but 86% is 5/5 stars - Get Real!
  • Reply 5 of 30
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ochyming wrote: »
    Doubt.

As Gruber notes, they couldn't even bring themselves to mention Apple in the headline, their 9th consecutive year, or their huge lead over all others.

• Reply 6 of 30
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

We knew this trend would hold up......

It is so weird for me to see Nokia in the graph......

I just don't associate them with the mobile phone market anymore.....

I guess it must just be the US market that they seems to not have a presence at all.....

• Reply 7 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

This chart seems rather misleading as it t takes a small chunk of the 1000 (only 250) and blows it up with no indication on the bottom of the bars that the bottom of the graph is cut off. This makes blackberry look like it is off of Apple by half, when in fact the difference is much smaller.

Seriously Now... An overall 80% is barely a pass, but 86% is 5/5 stars - Get Real!

My thoughts exactly, DaHarder.  This Wall-street-style chart is misleading and seems designed to exaggerate the differences.  The scale is presented as a linear scale, though it's not clear if the lowest-possible score is actually 600.  There is also no indication of the statistical significance of the differences.  Not even the number of respondents.  Perhaps JDP offers such details to paying clients only, I don't know.  In any event, AT BEST this can be viewed as marketing hyperbole.

• Reply 8 of 30
    geekdad wrote: »
    We knew this trend would hold up......
    It is so weird for me to see Nokia in the graph......
    I just don't associate them with the mobile phone market anymore.....
    I guess it must just be the US market that they seems to not have a presence at all.....

That is surely part of it……
    Their Lumia brand and Win Phone 7 are very nice……
    However, they are still a bit too immature and unrefined for my tastes……
    Also consider that they have a smaller user base that has likely intelligently chosen their platform and HW…...
  • Reply 9 of 30
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    daharder wrote: »
    Hmmm?

It gives the scores for each company in the graph. If they didn't have the numerical scores, then you have a point.

The chart also shows the average and it appears Apple is the only one above average.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    WS spin: Apple tops again but for how long. Think plastic!
  • Reply 11 of 30
    ochyming wrote: »
    Doubt.

I doubt Consumer Reports will recommend the new iPhone.
    Doubt.
  • Reply 12 of 30

I am just saying the Nokia 920 is a decent phone considering the price of $49 and a free charging pad. I kind of like having a bit of weight. And the OS is fun after the Apple and Droid copies. 

I know... no ecosystem. But she is different and wears red.

• Reply 13 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Hmmm?

You're doing it wrong. Completely wrong.

There is nothing misleading about the chart at all, and it clearly shows that the results on that chart begin at 600. Anybody who can read a chart can see that. 

Apple is five stars because once again they are miles and leaps ahead of any other company, which has been the case for quite some time now.

Your pathetic attempts at trying to downplay Apple's superior customer satisfaction compared to everybody else's much lower scores shows that you know nothing about Apple at all, and it also shows that you can not objectively read a chart.

No amount of ridiculous spin, denial or insane, crack fueled delusion can detract from the fact that Apple's customers are the most satisfied customers on the planet by a long shot, and for good reason. 

And in closing, you remind me of this guy right here:

• Reply 14 of 30
    jungmark wrote: »
    It gives the scores for each company in the graph. If they didn't have the numerical scores, then you have a point.

The chart also shows the average and it appears Apple is the only one above average.

They've made it very clear. They show the average score and they get the median rating of 3 out of 5, right in the middle with the others falling above or below based on their score. I think he's smarter than to claim that he doesn't understand the difference between a scale and a rating so what other reason for his post is left?
  • Reply 15 of 30
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Interesting to note that Microsoft's best effort (in Nokia form) is barely any better than the Android flotsam and jetsam, and still below average. 

• Reply 16 of 30
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You're doing it wrong. Completely wrong.

And in closing, you remind me of this guy right here:

What's up with this guy's uniform?

Is this mold?

But anyway he really looks a lot like DH's arguments.

P.S.  Sitting here with my iPad at hand and listening to Neil Young & Crazy Horse streaming from my iPhone over Apple TV into my Home Audio.......

>> Yes count me in to the perfectly satisfied Apple custumers.

• Reply 17 of 30

OH NO, now apple will really have to start making 6 inch phones and follow the rest of the industry. 

I think the second paragraph is a little confusing. Apple has been tops for 9 years, but the iPhone has only been tops for 7. 

• Reply 18 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

What's up with this guy's uniform?

Is this mold?

Boom microphones.

Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

I think the second paragraph is a little confusing. Apple has been tops for 9 years, but the iPhone has only been tops for 7. 

The iPhone hasn't existed for seven years. They don't go by year. 

• Reply 19 of 30
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

A valid reason to choose graph scale is to highlight differences.

• Reply 20 of 30
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

My thoughts exactly, DaHarder.  This Wall-street-style chart is misleading and seems designed to exaggerate the differences.  The scale is presented as a linear scale, though it's not clear if the lowest-possible score is actually 600.  There is also no indication of the statistical significance of the differences.  Not even the number of respondents.  Perhaps JDP offers such details to paying clients only, I don't know.  In any event, AT BEST this can be viewed as marketing hyperbole.

NINE

TIMES

IN

A

ROW