iOS Podcasts app gets custom station creation with version 1.2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday rolled out a new version of its iOS Podcasts app, bringing the ability to create personalized podcast stations with automatic updating.

podcasts

In addition to customized podcast station creation the new version allows users to choose whether those stations begin playing with the newest or oldest unplayed episode. The app also stores stations in iCloud, updating immediately across all of a user's devices.

Version 1.2 brings the ability to create on-the-go playlists of episodes, and playlists synced from iTunes now appear in the app. The app also features a redesigned Now Playing view with improved controls, as well as a number of playback resumption and performance and stability improvements.

Podcasts version 1.2 is available as a free download in the iOS App Store. The 7.6MB download is compatible with the iPhone 3GS and up, third-generation iPod touch and up, and iPad. It requires an iDevice running iOS 5.1 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I wonder if it's otherwise still complete garbage?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    googoogoogoo Posts: 1member
    Ive's started already. Skeuomorphism is on its way out.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The concept of stations just confuses things.

• Reply 4 of 22

I've been using the podcast app since they finally got it straightened out. I do not understand what the purpose of the stations is. This is solving a problem I didn't have. Why would I add something to a station, when I can just listen from that podcast's actual section?  What am I going to do, mix together comedy, shakespeare, and knitting podcasts into a station?

• Reply 5 of 22
    While I admit the controls needed some tweaking, I thought the old Fashioned tape reels were quite a nice touch.

Am I Alone in thinking Some Skewmorphism isn't such a bad thing?

Game Center "felt" and find my friends "leather" are my only problems with it so far.

Edit--
    Damnit ....the removed the 30 second jump button!!

Why can't we have a 15 sec and 30sec??
  • Reply 6 of 22
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

While I admit the controls needed some tweaking, I thought the old Fashioned tape reels were quite a nice touch.

Game Center "felt" and find my friends "leather" are my only problems with it so far.

Edit--

Damnit ....the removed the 30 second jump button!!

Why can't we have a 15 sec and 30sec??

Don't be silly. A note taking app for Mac is not a notebook. It has much more potential/functions etc, so it shouldn't look like one.

Ive will do the right thing.

I open itunes or safari and just smile. Everything looks at home.

Then I open notes and piss myself.

• Reply 7 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    About time. MUCH! better.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Not to me. I caught to the analogy right off. And now all my film review podcasts are in one station, my cooking in another and so on. 

Just like how in the old days if I wanted to listen to some hip hop I went to station A, some rock to station B etc

• Reply 9 of 22
    Don't be silly. A note taking app for Mac is not a notebook. It has much more potential/functions etc, so it shouldn't look like one.
    Ive will do the right thing.

I open itunes or safari and just smile. Everything looks at home.

Then I open notes and piss myself.

Piss that runs yellow like the note pad.

Haha

I guess that one could use some rendering as well.
    Maybe an option to flip back and doth between skew and regular?
  • Reply 10 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not to me. I caught to the analogy right off. And now all my film review podcasts are in one station, my cooking in another and so on. 

Just like how in the old days if I wanted to listen to some hip hop I went to station A, some rock to station B etc

It's the verbal equivalent of skeuomorphism in my opinion, taking an old concept from broadcast radio and trying to apply it to a new medium where it doesn't quite fit and is not necessary.

• Reply 11 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

It's the verbal equivalent of skeuomorphism in my opinion, taking an old concept from broadcast radio and trying to apply it to a new medium where it doesn't quite fit and is not necessary.

The only problem I have with skeuomorphism is the stupid mini-floppy STILL being used as the "save" image. I guess it's an image holdover much the same way that "button" is a name holdover from the physical realm.

• Reply 12 of 22

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hallmansm View Post

I've been using the podcast app since they finally got it straightened out. I do not understand what the purpose of the stations is. This is solving a problem I didn't have. Why would I add something to a station, when I can just listen from that podcast's actual section?  What am I going to do, mix together comedy, shakespeare, and knitting podcasts into a station?

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:

I think it makes perfect sense. I created a "Carolla Digital" Station. Adam Carolla Show, Dr. Drew Show, Alison Rosen, Film Vault, Adam & Drew. It is like a playlist, essentially. Now, I don't need to pick up my phone when a podcast ends, it will go to the next one. This is especially helpful when connected to the USB in my car. What happened (prior to the update) is I'd be listening to a podcast. It would end, and, because I have iTunes Match and my kids songs are also in the cloud, it would immediately start with Dora singing the ABCs... Now (I am assuming, haven't had a chance to check it out yet) it will just go to the next podcast in this "playlist."

It will automatically add the new episodes to the station, no thinking required.

I also like the refresh button now. One step closer to background downloads.

• Reply 13 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only problem I have with skeuomorphism is the stupid mini-floppy STILL being used as the "save" image. I guess it's an image holdover much the same way that "button" is a name holdover from the physical realm.

I'm sure the floppies will be replaced with little clouds soon enough (on all platforms).

• Reply 14 of 22
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

I guess that one could use some rendering as well.

Maybe an option to flip back and doth between skew and regular?

I agree. Losing skew-whatever, iPhone will lose its charm. Who knows how many percentage of JD Power customer satisfaction comes from skewmo-ism. 

Losing stiches here and there wouldn't matter much. Make a note look like Text editor in OSX like some geeks wanted and iPhone will lose a character. 

• Reply 15 of 22
    ziadjkziadjk Posts: 55member
    I have no problem with skeumorphism or otherwise, as long as the apps do what they're supposed to do. Though, I'm glad the tape recorder thing is gone. That was just over the top, in my opinion.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Is the new controls too small for iPad mini? I already feel it's a bit too small on my big iPad. 

• Reply 17 of 22

Quote:

I am not sure if that Old Tape thing is part of Skewmorphism, but I liked it, and Yellow Pad in Notes apps is nice, kind of humanizing… If the worst thing about our Macs and iOS is such little esthetic nuances, vs the actual functionality, then we are doing really well!!! 

Maybe the best solution would be to allow the users to Turn Off/On such Items in Appearances in System Preferences! There we could pick our own "skins", and everybody is happy! End of Taste-Styles Wars of Opinions! But then, Apple will probably err on the side of Simplification, and Uniformity between Mac and iOS.

As to this New Podcast App: 

Between my Mac 10.8.3, iPad 3, iPhone 4S, the Syncing of the Playhead Position is not precise! I.e. If I Pause on iPad, and want to Resume Listening on my iPhone 4S or Mac, the Playlhead is not exactly at the same spot, and I gave it 20 or so Seconds to Sync over Wi-Fi! So, maybe my expectations for that Feature are to high! 

Ideally, it'd be great if there was Switch To Another Device feature in Podcast App and in Tunes! I.e. Let's say I started listening on Mac, and then I'd Click on a Button, and it would make my iPhone start playing that Track, or Podcast, from exactly the same spot! And vs. I, when I get back home, my iPhone 4S would "hand over" the track  to iTunes on Mac!

Delete a Podcast Episode on This or All Devices - that would be nice too!!!

• Reply 18 of 22
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member
    hallmansm wrote: »

Yeah I don't get it either. Podcasts are long. A hour or more usually. I have no need to string these together. i usually dont finish one in a sitting. If anything I need the opposite - the ability to split podcasts into smaller chunks. ;).
  • Reply 19 of 22

Quote:

Agreed. The whole Store thing is overkill, too.

• Reply 20 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

Yeah I don't get it either. Podcasts are long. A hour or more usually. I have no need to string these together. i usually dont finish one in a sitting. If anything I need the opposite - the ability to split podcasts into smaller chunks. image.

They should be trying extra hard at cleaning up that app. As you said, most podcasts are 1 hour long. Let a thrid party app provide features like stations.