Apple's Ive brings software, hardware teams together in push for 'flat design'

2456789

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 164
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Flat design can mean a number of things, and it depends on the concept. Perhaps waiting to see a visual of what is being talked about would be better.
  • Reply 22 of 164
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,301member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


     


    In my business, the printing industry, flat means dull and lifeless. I hope that's not the direction that Ive plans to move towards.



     


    Then be sure to avoid making flat and dull designs. The UI has nothing to do with your productivity and final outputs. The UI is meant to be non-distracting and if this means they are returning to a clean minimized look [albeit modernized] with the way OPENSTEP was then I'm all for it.

  • Reply 23 of 164
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post





    I think you're confusing 'flat' as in banal/blah (Android) with 'flat' as in same level/smooth (Apple).



    Not the first time you've sounded confused....




    No... and it's your biased nonsense that doesn't allow you to see things for what they are (in this case a 'flat UI aesthetic), resulting in Confusion On Your Part - Not Mine. 

  • Reply 24 of 164

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post




    Why are you even here?



     


    It's called a comment section on a technology site. If you only want to hear your own voice, why don't you open up a word processor and start typing comments.

  • Reply 25 of 164
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's called a comment section on a technology site. If you only want to hear your own voice, why don't you open up a word processor and start typing comments.

    There is a huge difference between having a difference of opinion that leads to mature debates and going to the forums of sites where all you do post is lies and negative rhetoric to get attention (i.e.: trolling).
  • Reply 26 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

    Well the whole 'flat' aesthetic sure has proven quite popular/successful since Android 4.X and Windows/WP 8 adopted it over a year ago.


     


    Abject nonsense.

  • Reply 27 of 164

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    FRICK, no. The last thing we need is Windows 8.



    C'mon now, do you really think Sir Jony Ive is going to produce a Win8 interface? :)

  • Reply 28 of 164


    They should have a big rotating 3D shopping cart for an "add to cart" button¡


    There's nothing wrong with flat as long as it's done right. Careful about sharing your opinion though. Several hotheads here will flame you just for thinking that.

  • Reply 29 of 164

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


     


    Then be sure to avoid making flat and dull designs. The UI has nothing to do with your productivity and final outputs. The UI is meant to be non-distracting and if this means they are returning to a clean minimized look [albeit modernized] with the way OPENSTEP was then I'm all for it.



    MMmmmmm ... OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP! Quite the interface for it's time.

  • Reply 30 of 164
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member


    I'm interested in seeing what this results in. I actually think this could be a good evolution of the UI. But we don't really have a lot to go on here. If I had to guess it will be more of an Apple take on the Swiss design school blended with their current approach in some ways.


     


    I think some streamlining and flattening could be welcome. I'd also favor de-rounding of some corners. But more importantly than all of that, some new UI interaction approaches that reflect the changes in the device and it's usage (e.g., dozens of apps, etc.)


     


    But I'm also interested in seeing how the UI might change to reflect apps poking information and content up through their "icons" or what not even when not the active/main app at the moment. Some improved approach that reflects the desire to be getting tidbits of content and information from the various apps in somewhat of a "dashboard" fashion.

  • Reply 31 of 164
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    There is a huge difference between having a difference of opinion that leads to mature debates and going to the forums of sites where all you do post is lies and negative rhetoric to get attention (i.e.: trolling).




    The Fact Is: You're so full of your own biased/one-sided opinions that any comments that don't conform to said 'opinions' 100% you lash out at, ridicule, and label as 'trolling', when the truth is that you, and several of your cronies/aliases, are the Biggest Trolls On The Entire Site.


     


    Don't Like My Posts (which do NOT violate any reasonable forum rules) Then Block My Screen Name and Stop Constantly Disrupting Threads With Your Hateful/Childish/Trollish/Off-Topic Nonsense.


     


    Anyway... Great to read that Apple's entertaining updating the iOS UI, and 'flat' certainly seems to be the trend these days.

  • Reply 32 of 164

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post




    No... and it's your biased nonsense that doesn't allow you to see things for what they are (in this case a 'flat UI aesthetic), resulting in Confusion On Your Part - Not Mine. 





    You actually don't have a clue about what flat design really is don't you?


     


    Can you please tell me if this is example of flat design?


     



     




     


    It's got textures and gradients all over the place, or maybe you think textures and gradients are nice examples of flat design?

  • Reply 33 of 164
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,510member
    HTC Sense uses some light textures for the toolbars.
    http://www.engadget.com/gallery/htc-sense-5-screenshots/5701407/
    It's akin to OSX texture in the finder's bar. iOS needs a little of this, all the shiny glass effect is getting a little old.
  • Reply 34 of 164
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post




    The Fact Is: You're so full of your own biased/one-sided opinions that any comments that don't conform to said 'opinions' 100% you lash out at, ridicule, and label as 'trolling', when the truth is that you, and several of your cronies/aliases, are the Biggest Trolls On The Entire Site.


     


    Don't Like My Posts (which do NOT violate any reasonable forum rules) Then Block My Screen Name and Stop Constantly Disrupting Threads With Your Hateful/Childish/Trollish/Off-Topic Nonsense.


     


    Anyway... Great to read that Apple's entertaining updating the iOS UI, and 'flat' certainly seems to be the trend these days.



     


    LOL image

  • Reply 35 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

    The Fact Is: …you, and several of your cronies/aliases, are the Biggest Trolls On The Entire Site.


     


    CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

  • Reply 36 of 164


    Wait... wait... wait... you mean my Samesong two gen removed has a screen to turn on and off wifi as bluetooth, GPS, Sync, brightness, screen timeout, tips, and settings?

  • Reply 37 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

    Wait... wait... wait... you mean my Samesong two gen removed has a screen to turn on and off wifi as bluetooth, GPS, Sync, brightness, screen timeout, tips, and settings?


     


    Your iPhone 5 generations removed has the same screen.

  • Reply 38 of 164
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,158member


    Apple is changing iTunesConnects UI (the website not the app). They are removing shadows, gradient, and other 3D effects. They are using bright colors (White and light gray). They also got rid of rounded corners. It has Ive all over it. I believe this is the new direction. The good thing is UI changes in iOS are not that difficult to implement. Since iOS 5, Apple made customization for 3rd party apps very easy. We will still have Navigation Bars, Tool Bars, Tab Bar.. etc. In iOS 7 they will look different.


     


    PS. One thing that I hope Apple do is make custom color themes for different color iOS devices. That would be nice.

  • Reply 40 of 164
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    ecs wrote: »
    Yeah, flat is the word. Couldn't explain it better, and simpler. Just one word: flat. Brilliant.

    Flat has negative connotations. I think the android and win8 designers named it better as 'high contrast' and 'crisp'
Sign In or Register to comment.