Apple's Ive brings software, hardware teams together in push for 'flat design'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

If you see a gradient or texture in that third image please show me where.

Below the status bar, the same texture that is spread across the whole Android OS and some of the Google Apps.

• Reply 42 of 164
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    nasserae wrote: »
    Apple is changing iTunesConnects UI (the website not the app). They are removing shadows, gradient, and other 3D effects. They are using bright colors (White and light gray). It has Ive all over it. I believe this is the new direction. The good thing is UI changes in iOS are not that difficult to implement. Since iOS 5, Apple made customization for 3rd party apps very easy. We will still have Navigation Bars, Tool Bars, Tab Bar.. etc. In iOS 7 they will look different.

PS. One thing that I hope Apple do is make custom color themes for different color iOS devices. That would be nice.

I thought about that changing color scheme too, but then people would complain that they haven't the color they want...
    iOS is hopefully getting rid of the blue color in the browser and unify the os color.
    Get rid of glass effects, add light textures like in the osx toolbars and blur transparency.
    Get rid of skeumorphism that doesn't add anything.
  • Reply 43 of 164
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    The guy has taste. Let'sI hope he just makesit look good and drops all the fake wood and leather bullspit.
  • Reply 44 of 164
    flip0106 wrote: »

Below the status bar, the same texture that is spread across the whole Android OS and some of the Google Apps.

Yes, I see that now. It's very discrete, I think it looks great. Apple should dump flashy textures and use textures that the user doesn't notice, but make him more comfortable. Windows had the good idea of going all-digital, but they went too far. What's funny is that their experiment has probably been a lesson to a lot of brands.
  • Reply 45 of 164
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

I thought about that changing color scheme too, but then people would complain that they haven't the color they want...

iOS is hopefully getting rid of the blue color in the browser and unify the os color.

Get rid of glass effects, add light textures like in the osx toolbars and blur transparency.

Get rid of skeumorphism that doesn't add anything.

They could add an option for you to change the color theme (just like in OS X). One of the annoying things I find annoying in iOS is the tethering blue bar below the status bar. I really hope they get rid of that as I find myself hitting it every time I try to hit the status bar to move to the top of the UITableView. They could just add an icon in the status bar to indicate tethering.

There are many small stuff in iOS UI that Apple need to improve.

• Reply 46 of 164
    nasserae wrote: »
    They could add an option for you to change the color theme (just like in OS X). One of the annoying things I find annoying in iOS is the tethering blue bar below the status bar. I really hope they get rid of that as I find myself hitting it every time I try to hit the status bar to move to the top of the UITableView. They could just add an icon in the status bar to indicate tethering.

There are many small stuff in iOS UI that Apple need to improve.
    And show the tethering in the notification bar directly. But maybe keep the color so people notice when it's active.
    I'd move the notification bar to the side.
  • Reply 47 of 164

"I've said this before and it fell on deaf ears.."

To whom did you say this that it should be of the utmost concern that you should be vindicated?

• Reply 48 of 164

Quote:

Yes, I see that now. It's very discrete, I think it looks great. Apple should dump flashy textures and use textures that the user doesn't notice, but make him more comfortable. Windows had the good idea of going all-digital, but they went too far. What's funny is that their experiment has probably been a lesson to a lot of brands.

I'm just making a point that Android is pretty far from clean, flat design. Windows is much better example of flat design (not necessarily a good flat design IMO) but Android definitelly isn't.

• Reply 49 of 164
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    daharder wrote: »

Well the whole 'flat' aesthetic sure has proven quite popular/successful since Android 4.X and Windows/WP 8 adopted it over a year ago.

Looking forward to seeing Apple's implementation brings.

I definitely like the new direction (Most) of the industry has taken. It seems like we're finally over the'emboss/drop shadow' era of winXP and early OSX.

I am surprised that Duarte brought about this change in android, considering the design in webos was completely opposite
  • Reply 50 of 164
    Jony Ive excels at sweating the details and essentially being sympathetic to the end user. What's the experience of using a product for the first time? How can you make things both simple and powerful?

While Ive might not be able to write code, these are things that iOS desperately needs right now. Setting up, moving files, changing settings, moving between apps, etc are inelegant as is.
  • Reply 51 of 164
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Why are you even here?

Because I obviously have a vested/long-time interest in iOS devices and what possible upgrades/improvements will be coming to my devices.

How About You... or are you just here asking inane questions without addressing the topic at hand?

• Reply 52 of 164

^ You always pull that trick out of your hat. You owning iOS devices doesn't mean you're not a troll, nor does add any validity to your comments.

• Reply 53 of 164
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, you don't actually hate skeuomorphism.

How is UI design 'functionality'?

Nonsense! UI design IS functionality! Copy and Paste is UI functionality.......just to name one of a gazillion......swipe to unlock is UI functionality. and so on and so on.......

• Reply 54 of 164
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Im so excited to see what changes and UI paradigms the next versions of OSX and iOS will bring. I have a feeling it will be great.
  • Reply 55 of 164
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Custom Color Themes will never happen. We fought that idiocy during the merging of NeXTSTEP and OS 8/9. Consistency and substance over gimmicks. I have found consistency and substance lacking way too much and let's hope they have that cleaned up.

• Reply 56 of 164
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

If you see a gradient or texture in that third image please show me where.

There is no gradient or texture in the third because of the diagonal pattern commonly used in eps vector files or engineering drawings is where the gradient/texture would normally be placed. Combining them would make no sense for that choice.

• Reply 57 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

Never mind pissballing about with this, where is my effing Mac Pro?????

Check this out via Gruber:

http://hypercritical.co/2013/03/08/the-case-for-a-true-mac-pro-successor

• Reply 58 of 164
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Because I obviously have a vested/long-time interest in iOS devices and what possible upgrades/improvements will be coming to my devices.

How About You... or are you just here asking inane questions without addressing the topic at hand?

For me, this proves you work for Samsung, just like that guy that said that he couldn't leave his iPhone, despite the Nexus being "better" (lol).

Even you guys can't leave iOS products... But owning them does not make you any less troll/shill.

• Reply 59 of 164
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

I think the quote or the phrase was misused. By "flat" he means no 3D space. Mac OS is full of weird places where there's 3D space, like the dock, and then there is App Store and iTunes where the space is "flat." Flat doesn't mean Windows 8.

• Reply 60 of 164
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I see many people rallying against skeuomorphism with blanket statements. They are useful but they need to be used appropriately. A general rule of thumb is if you can easily pick out the skeuomorph then it's done wrong. The page turning effect and highlighter appearance in iBooks are what I call ideal examples of great skeuomorphism. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that needs to go and I would wager that most complaining about the faux-leather and stitching never even considered those as skeuomorphs. Notes on the iPad is a mixed bag for me with the stitching and torn paper being too much but the yellow-lined paper and the irregular red pencil mark around the current note bring a decent amount of familiarity to the functionality, even though I can see it all being cleaned in the future (example here).

geekdad wrote: »
    Nonsense! UI design IS functionality! Copy and Paste is UI functionality.......just to name one of a gazillion......swipe to unlock is UI functionality. and so on and so on.......

This can be looked at two ways. There is the first definition of functionality, which follows your comment: "the quality of being suited to serve a purpose well; practicality." That not only dictates the function is served but that a more subtle and harder to quantify aspect is also being accounted for. We've seen this for decades with people saying that Dell PCs are just as good as Macs all the way to this Android phone being better than the iPhone simply by posting some HW specs or feature without any regard for how well it actually functions for the user.

TS's usage uses a more strict and spartan definition: "the purpose that something is designed or expected to fulfill." I doubt anyone would say that good or bad UI design can not drastically add or take away from the functionality which, to me, means that it would then make good UI design something that culminate in better functionality but that is not, by design, functionality itself. Consider this scenario, you buy two doors that are exactly the same. In one you drill the holes and place the HW for the knob in the expected area; the area that a normal human being would have the best access to grab and the handle. In the other you place it 6" off the ground. The general functionality of the door is still exactly the same but one has a much more ideal method for the user to interface with it.