"Pulsating" brightness while watching a DVD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My brother just got a cable today to connect my dad's PowerBook G4 to our TV. Since we have an old TV, we have to go through the VCR and use a headphone to RCA cable to get audio through the TV. It's working almost perfectly, but for some reason the brightness pulses at fairly regular intervals (every three or four seconds). It goes between way too dim and a bit too bright. Any way to fix this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    There is no way to fix this. This is a copy protection scheme known as Macrovision. It has been around since the 80's or so. This prevents you from dup'ing VHS tapes and DVD to VHS. This also prevents you to use your machines in the fashion that you are.

Sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    [quote]Originally posted by jettaguy26:

<strong>There is no way to fix this. This is a copy protection scheme known as Macrovision. It has been around since the 80's or so. This prevents you from dup'ing VHS tapes and DVD to VHS. This also prevents you to use your machines in the fashion that you are.

Sorry.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, there's some software called "DVDBackup" or some such thing. One of its features is the removal of macrovision.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the software itself, even when used for completely legal purposes, is illegal under the DMCA, so you might have some trouble finding it.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: Whisper ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If I were to use the PowerBook with a newer TV, one which has its own video and audio inputs, would it remove that problem?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    First, I can confirm that connecting a powerbook to a TV directly allows you to watch DVDs without any pulsating brightness.

I am not convinced the problem is Macrovision. I thought that Macrovision would only affect video that was being taped as the changes in the signal were too fast for the mechanical tape mechanism to react to but the TV electronics could easily react in time to display glitch free video. I freely admit that I haven't tried this so I can't say for sure.

Just for grins, turn off all other programs, turn off file sharing, turn off the use of the network time server in the Date and Time setup area.

Are you using OS 9 or OS X? OS X should provide a cleaner signal.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Whisper:

<strong>

Actually, there's some software called "DVDBackup" or some such thing. One of its features is the removal of macrovision.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the software itself, even when used for completely legal purposes, is illegal under the DMCA, so you might have some trouble finding it.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: Whisper ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

You mean the thing that KaZaA advertises for all the time on my Wintel machine?

<a href="http://www.321studios.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.321studios.com/</a>;
  • Reply 6 of 12
    splodesplode Posts: 13member
    Hey.

That is Macrovision. I took my DVD player to a friend's house, hadda hook it up through the VCR, got the same thing. And you can do the DVD rip to your hard drive. It'll create a disc image of your DVD that cn be played back w/o the Macrovision. Of course ya need a shitload of room and it takes a while, but...

splode
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I agree with neutrino23 that it may not be macrovision causing the problem. The pulsing is caused by the VCR. I had a regular dvd player connected through the VCR and it did the same thing. I noticed that the VCR also pulses with VHS movies.

The best way to get rid of it is to connect to the TV or home theater receiver.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I have a Sony DVD player in my living room, and when I first got it I ran it through my VCR, and most of the DVDs I played would pulse like you're describing, however, a handful wouldn't. Hooking it up directly to the TV solved the problem. The manual states not to loop it through a VCR. Whatever the issue, looping it through the VCR is the problem.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scifience:

<strong>

You mean the thing that KaZaA advertises for all the time on my Wintel machine?

<a href="http://www.321studios.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.321studios.com/</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

No, but it looks similar to that. The software I was talking about is a freeware OS X app. Sorry, I don't remember where I got it. And seeing how it's illegal, I'd probably get in trouble for posting a link anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    oh it is definitely macrovision doing that. you need to either get a tv with AV inputs or drop about $30 into an RF modulator (a little external box that does the converting instead of your VCR)

Certain models of APEX dvd players have been able to be hacked to allow for macrovision/regional coding to be disabled, but that is the topic for a whole other thread. check out <a href="http://www.nerd-out.com"; target="_blank">http://www.nerd-out.com</a>; for more info on that.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    b.i.lb.i.l Posts: 30member
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>oh it is definitely macrovision doing that. you need to either get a tv with AV inputs or drop about $30 into an RF modulator (a little external box that does the converting instead of your VCR)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

He speaks the truth. God bless Macrovision.

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: B.I.L ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, one of my brother's friends brought his PS2 over tonight, and we watched the Matrix again and we also saw Rush Hour 2. For some reason, Rush Hour 2 had some sort of Infinifilm parental control lock thing on it, which we got around. But once we started playing it, it didn't pulse at all. I wonder why? The Matrix still pulsed.