T-Mobile reported to premiere no subsidy 'UNcarrier' plans ahead of iPhone launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A purported internal T-Mobile document leaked to the Internet reveals specifics of the wireless provider's "UNcarrier" plans, which signal a move away from subsidies in favor of cheaper monthly rates.

tmobile

The document, acquired by TmoNews (via Droid Life), details T-Mobile's forthcoming payment restructuring, which replaces carrier subsidized handsets with lower monthly payments.

Under the new structure, all T-Mobile plans will include unlimited talk and text, and a 500MB allotment of high-speed data. Individual plans will start at $60 per month and top out at $130 per month for 12GB of data. An unlimited data option is available for $90 per month, but lacks tethering.

Family plans will begin at $100 per month for the first two lines, while tacking on 12GB of data raises the fee to $240 per month. Up to three additional lines can be added to the 500MB plan for $20 each, or $90 each for the 12GB option. Two-line family plans with all-you-can-eat data start at $160 per month.

A smartphone mobile hotspot feature is included in all plans except for those with unlimited monthly data. Those customers will be able to purchase 2.5GB and 4.5GB data chunks to put toward tethering for a fee of $10 and $20, respectively.

tmobile

The move away from subsidies will see customers paying full price for their smartphones but with lower monthly rates, which could save subscribers money in the long run depending on contract length. T-Mobile believes the move could boost its market share in the American wireless sector by five percent or more.

The "UNcarrier" is expected to go live with its Value Plan only structure on March 24.

While T-Mobile doesn't currently offer Apple's iPhone on contract, the carrier's network does support the device. In a February announcement, the company revealed that more than two million iPhones were in operation on its network, with about 100,000 owners brining over their unlocked Apple devices per month.

T-Mobile announced in December that it had inked a deal to become an Apple partner carrier in the U.S. effective some time this year. Speaking with Reuters in January, T-Mobile CEO John Legere revealed that the company plans to begin selling iPhones sooner rather than later. At the time, Legere said customers could expect the device to arrive at the carrier in "three to four months as opposed to six to nine months."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Why would I pay full price for an iPhone 5, and then pay a MINIMUM of $60.00 per month (you'd probably have to go with a more costly plan), when I could go to WalMart and get a Straight Talk - capable iPhone 5 for on an interest-free $25.00 payment plan and pay $45.00 a month for UNLIMITED talk, messaging, and data?

The Straight Talk iPhone will run on a major carrier's network that works in far more places as well. This is just NOT a very good deal.

How about allowing me to get a smart phone and NOT have to buy ANY data plan. I'll use WiFi for data/e-mail on my phone, thank you. I'd rather use an iPad for surfing the web and e-mail anyhow....and I can go month-by-month on that for only $30.00 a month.
  • Reply 2 of 15

They currently have unlimited everything for $70 a month. So they're raising the price to $90 now? That sucks

• Reply 3 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

They currently have unlimited everything for $70 a month. So they're raising the price to $90 now? That sucks

In a stunning display of quality journalism, AI, in its article about T-Mobile's new shift to no-subsidy plans, didn't display the image describing the no-subsidy plans. Instead, they linked to the graphics outlining the "Classic" plans, which are not even going to be available in T-Mobile stores, or on their website. These "Classic" plans are only going to be available at certain retailers which wouldn't sell unsubsidized plans, and are $20 more across the board because, surprise surprise, there's a phone subsidy.

If AI had linked to the leaked graphic describing the actual new no-subsidy plans, you'd see this instead:

So yeah, unlimited is still $70 / month (assuming that the leaked data is correct). It even comes with a small amount of Mobile Hot-Spot data now.

• Reply 4 of 15

This is a horribly researched article.  Those plans say classic on them, not value.  The plans detailed in the article do include phone subsidies.  The new value plans, which are priced way lower than these, don't.

• Reply 5 of 15
    This article has the wrong plans image. The classic plans will continue to have contract and are for third party dealers (such as Target, Costco, etc). The new uncarrier Value plans are $50 a month for unlimited talk/text/web with 500mb high speed, add $10 for 2gb high speed, or $20 for unlimited high speed. Family plans are $80 for two lines with unlimited everything with 500mb high speed web each, or upgrade to one of the 2gb/unlimited plans as above. Additional lines are $10 each.
    http://www.tmonews.com/2013/03/new-one-size-fits-all-value-plan-brochures-begin-arriving-in-t-mobile-retail-stores/
  • Reply 6 of 15
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I don't get it, I am currently using an unlocked iPhone 4S on Tmobile network and I have the monthly 4g plan (no contract) for $50 a month I get unlimited talk, text, and web with first 500mb at 4g speeds. These new plans look be $10 more expensive than what I am paying, and they are on contract, correct? What's going on...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Why would I pay full price for an iPhone 5, and then pay a MINIMUM of $60.00 per month (you'd probably have to go with a more costly plan), when I could go to WalMart and get a Straight Talk - capable iPhone 5 for on an interest-free $25.00 payment plan and pay $45.00 a month for UNLIMITED talk, messaging, and data?

The Straight Talk iPhone will run on a major carrier's network that works in far more places as well. This is just NOT a very good deal.

How about allowing me to get a smart phone and NOT have to buy ANY data plan. I'll use WiFi for data/e-mail on my phone, thank you. I'd rather use an iPad for surfing the web and e-mail anyhow....and I can go month-by-month on that for only $30.00 a month.

You misunderstand T-Mobile's plan. First, you do get unlimited data on all T-Mobile's plans. The cap, however, applies to LTE or 4G. After the limit is reached, your speed drops to 3G. There is no data cap and unlike every other carrier that charges you more you can use your phone as a hotspot for wi-fi in other devices. For instance, a MacBook.

Assuming T-Mobile sticks to its current structure, you can buy an unlimited voice and text plan without voice. I did that for my first iPhone on T-Mobile. These are just the companies value plans not all its plans.

Further, Straight Talk rides off T-Mobile and AT&T''s network. It does not give you 4G or LTE at all, there is no roaming included, and there is an unofficial data cap despite the marketing. Moreover, since there is no contract the prices can change tommorrow.

Finally, the cheapest iPhone plan for one person on AT&T with unlimted texting costs over $130 a month, and doesn't include unlimited data or the hotspot feature. On T-Mobile the closest comparable plan with unlimited data and the hotspot feature is $60 a month. Further, you do not have to pay for the iPhone in full. Like at Walmart, but better than Walmart, T-Mobile gives you a loan that you pay back monthly (e.g less than $20 a month until paid). I say better because Walmart gives you the loan in the form of a high interest credit card, T-Mobile does not.

So in summary, I'd say you are wrong. These plans are very good.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    rsdofnyrsdofny Posts: 98member

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I don't even find the plan attractive, so I'll stay with ATT.

• Reply 9 of 15
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    tyler82 wrote: »
    I don't get it, I am currently using an unlocked iPhone 4S on Tmobile network and I have the monthly 4g plan (no contract) for $50 a month I get unlimited talk, text, and web with first 500mb at 4g speeds. These new plans look be $10 more expensive than what I am paying, and they are on contract, correct? What's going on...

T-Mobile's current value plans start at $60 dollars a month and you get 2 G's of high speed 4G data before it drops to 3G. The $50 a month no contract plan you speak of only gives you 100 mb's of 4g data before dropping to 3G. I just checked the website.

People sometimes dislike a contract, but the contract gives you price protection if the prices raise. For instance, these new plans will drop the amount of 4G data to 500 mb's on the cheapest plan, but if you are on a contract you are grandfathered in.

Regardless, Trying the no contract plan is a good way to test the network.
  • Reply 10 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You misunderstand T-Mobile's plan. First, you do get unlimited data on all T-Mobile's plans. The cap, however, applies to LTE or 4G. After the limit is reached, your speed drops to 3G. There is no data cap and unlike every other carrier that charges you more you can use your phone as a hotspot for wi-fi in other devices. For instance, a MacBook.

Assuming T-Mobile sticks to its current structure, you can buy an unlimited voice and text plan without voice. I did that for my first iPhone on T-Mobile. These are just the companies value plans not all its plans.

Further, Straight Talk rides off T-Mobile and AT&T''s network. It does not give you 4G or LTE at all, there is no roaming included, and there is an unofficial data cap despite the marketing. Moreover, since there is no contract the prices can change tommorrow.

Finally, the cheapest iPhone plan for one person on AT&T with unlimted texting costs over $130 a month, and doesn't include unlimited data or the hotspot feature. On T-Mobile the closest comparable plan with unlimited data and the hotspot feature is $60 a month. Further, you do not have to pay for the iPhone in full. Like at Walmart, but better than Walmart, T-Mobile gives you a loan that you pay back monthly (e.g less than $20 a month until paid). I say better because Walmart gives you the loan in the form of a high interest credit card, T-Mobile does not.

So in summary, I'd say you are wrong. These plans are very good.

There are a couple of things wrong with your comment...

Straight Talk DOES give you HSPA+ "4G" on BOTH carriers - I've been using iPhones running Straight Talk via AT&T, and they most definitely DO get HSPA+ data speeds. Straight Talk even advertises "4G" for T-Mobile compatible SIM cards http://www.straighttalksim.com My iPhone 4S and 5 both display 4G. You are correct about LTE. The official Straight Talk iPhones run on Verizon, and LTE is NOT part of the deal. 

As for roaming, I've had the EXACT same coverage using AT&T via Straight Talk that I had with AT&T proper. 

The cheapest iPhone plan on AT&T for one person is $90 with 450 minutes, unlimited texts and 3GB of data, not $130. You could save $10 if you chose the 300MB data plan for $20. If you throw in unlimited talk, that would jump it to $130. Technically, a single iPhone on AT&T could be as cheap as $60, but that would only give you 300MB of data and no texts. 

Initially, the payment plan from Walmart required either of their credit cards, and it was interest free for a limited time. If you didn't purchase before the deadline, you get socked with the interest. 

• Reply 11 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

You obviously haven't investigated Straight Talk very well. 

1) The official Straight Talk iPhones run on Verizon's 3G PREPAID network - NO LTE support, and you do NOT get the FULL coverage of Verizon proper. 

2) The promotional period for interest-free financing is for a limited time. If you didn't get one during the promotion, you're paying interest - ON A WALMART BRANDED CREDIT CARD. 

3) Straight Talk claims unlimited data, but that is NOT the case. They severely restrict what you can do with data. Streaming of music or video using cellular data of ANY kind is a violation of their TOS. Throw in along with that - downloading apps and music. All violations of TOS. 

4) You're stuck with an iPhone that is only partially unlocked - it will run on a GSM carrier. However, since it is a Verizon-spec version, your odds of ever using LTE on that iPhone are slim to none. When it's time for resale, the value just tanked. It can't even be ported over to an actual Verizon service plan if you leave Straight Talk. 

5) If I'm going to buy one using a credit card, I'd rather buy it unlocked through Apple and take advantage of financing offers through their Barclay credit card. You can typically get no interest for 12 months. It's strongly rumored the officially unlocked and AT&T iPhones will be capable of running on T-Mobile's LTE network. That's what I'd rather (and do) have. 

6) Straight Talk is no longer offering AT&T-compatible SIM cards. If you bring your own phone, you'd better hope you can find a SIM kit available at a Walmart somewhere. Otherwise, you'll have to make sure the iPhone is unlocked, and you'll have to use T-Mobile-compatible SIM cards, but only after you have it cut to nano SIM size. The T-Mobile SIM cards only come in mini SIM size (full-size).

• Reply 12 of 15

The real deal (if you don't need tethering) is Solavei. You get unlimited everything (with no restrictions *cough* Straight Talk *cough*) with a soft cap of 4GB of 4G data for $49. They run on T-Mobile's network with roaming included. You also have the opportunity to have an even cheaper phone bill, or FREE. Plus, you could even get paid for using it! 

I'm trying to hold out until T-Mobile updates my area to HSPA+ before I make the jump and forget Straight Talk. 

For those interested, you can even buy unlocked iPhones through a partner of theirs with 6 months no interest if you use PayPal's Bill Me Later option. The downside is they cost $50 more than what Apple charges, but they'll come with the SIM already installed and the iPhone will be pre-configured to work on Solavei. 

• Reply 13 of 15
    zarenzaren Posts: 49member
    And yet, you can still go to Virgin Mobile and pay $55 a month for unlimited everything - data, text, and voice.
  • Reply 14 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

What's going on is that AI posted the wrong image, and the plans they're displaying are not the new no-contract Value plans.

• Reply 15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaren View Post

And yet, you can still go to Virgin Mobile and pay $55 a month for unlimited everything - data, text, and voice.

On Sprint's very limited NON-roaming network. No thank you. On top of that, you have an iPhone that only works on Virgin Mobile, severely killing the resale value.