Study finds little difference between iPhone, Galaxy S III users

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While Apple and Samsung battle it out in the courts and the market, fans of the devices they make sometimes battle just as fervently in Internet forums, but a new study suggests that iPhone and Galaxy S III owners may be a lot more similar to each other than they'd think.

juxtaposing!

Consumer Intelligence Research Partners recently released a report examining the device usage patterns of iPhone and Galaxy S III owners. The report was based on surveys of 500 iPhone owners and 500 GS III users, conducted in January and February of 2013.

In terms of device use, respondents from both brands engaged in calling, texting, email, and Internet access at about the same rate. Both Galaxy S III and iPhone owners use their phones mostly for texting and accessing the web. Between 80 and 90 percent of Galaxy S III and iPhone owners reported using their phones to send texts several times per day, while 75 percent of Galaxy S III owners and more than 80 percent of iPhone owners said they use their phones for Internet access several times daily.

Phone calls and email were less heavily used according to respondents. More Samsung owners reported using their phones several times a day for these features than did Apple owners, but the response rates were very close.

iPhone owners, according to the report, are more likely to use their phones for gaming and photos several or one to two times daily, with nearly 80 percent of iPhone-owning respondents describing themselves as frequent phone gamers. About 70 percent of Galaxy S III owners said the same.

Ownership of other devices was one area of difference between the two groups. PC laptops and desktops were an area of commonality, but iPhone owners were more likely to own a Mac laptop or desktop, although in much less significant numbers relative to PCS. About 20 percent of iPhone owners have a Mac laptop, while seven percent of Galaxy S III owners have the same.

iPhone owners were twice as likely to own an iPad, and "GS III" owners were twice as likely to own an Android tablet. iPhone owners were also more likely to own a Kindle.

In terms of upgrading their handsets, GS III buyers tended to upgrade from within the Android platform. About one in eleven GS III buyers had previously owned an iPhone. Reflecting recent statements from Apple execs, about one in five iPhone buyers had previously owned an Android phone.

The study found that AT&T's long-time exclusive distribution of the iPhone still impacts carrier choice for Apple's handset. More than 50 percent of iPhone respondents were on AT&T, with roughly 35 percent on Verizon and just over 10 percent on Sprint. The GS III, though, reflecting Samsung's push to get its device into as many outlets as possible, is roughly evenly distributed across AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Taste.

• Reply 2 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Taste.

Exactly. I don't understand why that's so hard to understand for some people (on both 'sides').

• Reply 3 of 109
    Who cares about 'what they use it for.' What else would someone use it for other the ones suggested!? There is no data provided on how much (except for some vague generalities like 'several times a day'). Web use statistics tell a completely different story on 'how much.'

I notice that the study is also conspicuously silent on the demographics....... I wonder why.......
  • Reply 4 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Taste.

I tried both and I didn't like the taste of either. A little hot sauce seemed to improve the iPhone a tad...

• Reply 5 of 109
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    The difference is that we know we aren't coders and that we are happy with the nicely designed layout that Apple made. We don't want an open system full of viruses just because one day we might want to write an app, we don't want custom icons and animations in the background made by a 17 year old. Also, we like metal housings.
  • Reply 6 of 109
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I thought only fanboys buy iPhones. How come the 20% Mac owners does not back up this meme.
  • Reply 7 of 109
    jay-tjay-t Posts: 39member
    Now the Samsung users also copy the iPhone users behavior :-D

Just making fun... :-)
  • Reply 8 of 109
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

But... but... I'm special. *stamps feet*

• Reply 9 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I thought only fanboys buy iPhones. How come the 20% Mac owners does not back up this meme.

"That just proves how many stupid people are out there."

I've even been told that in PERSON. image

• Reply 10 of 109
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I tried both and I didn't like the taste of either. A little hot sauce seemed to improve the iPhone a tad...

Hot sauce might melt the plastic case in some cases

• Reply 11 of 109
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Another common trait shared between Android and iOS users not reported in this study  but clearly evident in this thread - denial.

• Reply 12 of 109
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Taste.

"Aqua. Makes you want to lick your screen"
  • Reply 13 of 109
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    But but... Android users are losers! /s
  • Reply 14 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

But... but... I'm special. *stamps feet*

Oh, yes, you are for sure.

• Reply 15 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

The difference is that we know we aren't coders and that we are happy with the nicely designed layout that Apple made. We don't want an open system full of viruses just because one day we might want to write an app, we don't want custom icons and animations in the background made by a 17 year old. Also, we like metal housings.

Metal housing that you cover up with a plastic case? Never got that.

Once I got rid of my iPhone 4 (in it's plastic case) and went to my Galaxy Nexus, I stopped using cases.

• Reply 16 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Yeah. Because coders don't have iPhones.

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lim_Ding_Wen

17 year old guys don't suck because they're young. Sorry-ass old guy, or what?

• Reply 17 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Who cares about 'what they use it for.' What else would someone use it for other the ones suggested!? There is no data provided on how much (except for some vague generalities like 'several times a day'). Web use statistics tell a completely different story on 'how much.'

I think the other web statistics actually point out the difference between higher-end smartphone users and "the rest." This shows that iPhone and higher-end Android users match up pretty well with each other. There's just a massive group of non-higher-end Android devices/users out there that really don't use all the features.

• Reply 18 of 109
    Funk The Android. It's just a iPhone with another manufacturer shell on top.

Case closed.
  • Reply 19 of 109
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

So Galaxy S III owners have roughly the same usage patterns as iPhone owners.

The huge disparity in web use between Android and iOS shows that high end Android device owners are in the minority with most Android "activations" not showing up on the web, at all.

As the Galaxy S III is the top selling high end Android phone, there must be a lot of cheap junk out there.

• Reply 20 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

"Aqua. Makes you want to lick your screen"

You should try hot sauce with ice cream sandwiches and jelly beans... doesn't improve them at all...