Making a SMB mount permanent

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I connect on a daily basis to a windows drive using the Connect to server > SMB://blahblah//blahblah.

How do I make the SMB connect autoremount when I logout and login or reboot.

I can't connect to the domain etc as we have a NEXTStep netinfo domain server. No the Nextstep won't be updated.

thanks

Alfie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    When you mount the device next time make an alias. Now you can just click on the alias to get the screen where you type in the password.

You might be able to script this in Applescript and save that as an application which could then be added to your list of items to launch at login time.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    couldn't you add the password to your "keychain"?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    In Mac OS 9, couldn't you tell the box to mount certain file servers upon startup? Can you do that in X?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I dunno how much of UNIX is still in X, but try editing your fstab file in the /etc directory. In linux that tells the system which drives to automount on startup. That might work, dunno though.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    If the username and password of the mac login is the same as the NT login then you shouldn't be prompted when mounting. If the domain doesn't have an open trust then you will be prompted.

An SMB mount cannot be entered into the fstab or into the netinfo/fstab.

I will see if I can dig out a script we have to do this that you can add to the users login.

Dobby.