Rumor: Apple to launch cheaper iPhone with plastic casing, non-Retina display this summer

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If Amazon and Google can do a 7" 16:9 tablet for $200 than Apple can do one with 40% more display area for the same price. Of course, I doubt they realized that the display was considerably larger, while being lighter, thinner, and better well made.

Part of the trouble with the Amazon comparison is it's not clear if Amazon is doing a give away the razors to sell the blades thing here. Are they selling the Kindles at zero profit (or even a loss)?

• Reply 82 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt45 View Post

Plastic non-retina. Can't apple just refresh the iPhone 3GS?

Now that you mention it, I liked my old 3GS. Never mind that the camera was lousy and with the newer iOS apps started slow, I thought it was a nice size and weight (at least for me). Give it a longer lasting battery and faster CPU with more RAM (and a bit better camera, maybe) and I think that it would be an attractive package. In fact, as I write about it, I think I would buy one just for a spare.

• Reply 83 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Many of these people struggle to buy food. Still more only have very, very simple lifestyles, able to afford the barest of necessities (but all of them). They are NOT BUYING CELL PHONES WITH DATA PLANS.

Tallest Skil: I think your views are somewhat outdated. The "emerging markets" have large and growing middle classes. China has a population of around 1.4 billion people, the latest figures show that there are nearly 1 billion cell phones in use in that country. The largest wireless provider in China is China Mobile LTD...they have nearly 700 million subscribers...half of the chinese population! Right now Apple does very little business with this company because they use a different technology than most of the rest of the world. They also do not subsidize phones the way most carriers do. So here is an opportunity for Apple to come out with a "entry level" iPhone which they could sell in the China market to a potential consumer base of nearly 1 billion! How could you turn down that opportunity....especially when you consider that the Chinese people know and love the Apple brand...they just can't afford an iPhone 5.

India has a population of 1.2 billion people and figures show that nearly 850 million cell phones are in use currently....Same for Brazil, and Vietnam and the Phillipines and Russia and several other emerging countries. The spread of Capitalism has brought up a growing middle class in all these areas and these consumers want the same products the west has enjoyed for years now...whether it be cars, bigger homes, computers or cell phones. This market is ripe for the plucking by Apple if they do it the right way!

Will Apple do a "low cost" phone for these markets....only the big wigs in Cupertino know for sure, but they would be crazy not to at least consider it carefully! I spend a lot of time in Europe and I see all kinds of "entry level" Mercedes and BMW models on the road that they do not sell here in the U.S.....why can't Apple do the same thing in Asia?

• Reply 84 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

They'd get killed in the low end models, since the Android phones all have retina displays and 8-13mp cameras now.

they already are getting killed in the low-end.

• Reply 85 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ok if all this is true why has it taken 6 years for Apple to figure it out?  How does this not look like anything more than reactionary?  Or Apple totally underestimating Android?  I dunno I still have a feeling Apple will do something we're not expecting.  Look what they did with the iPad mini.  The build quality is not cheap (in fact some say its one of Apple's best designs ever) and its not $199.

Rogifan: You are right...it has probably taken Apple more time than it should to figure all this out. Maybe they did not anticipate how quickly cheap Android phones would flood the market? I don't know. But I do know that Apple has a Wonderful reputation around the world and is seen as a "status symbol" product in many cultures. While there are many countries that have growing middle classes, a $600 phone is still out of reach to most of these poeple. An entry level phone ($300 or less) in these markets would allow millions of new consumers to get aclimated into the Apple ecosystem at a pricepoint that is easier on their finances and still allow Apple to make money. Apple does not have to sell these models anywhere else in the world! Just India and China alone have nearly 3 billion consumers and is Apple could make even a small dent in that number, it would means billions of $'s in new revenue!

• Reply 86 of 140
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

And it hasn't hurt them much.
  • Reply 87 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Perhaps not in the short-term. But this could be dangerous thinking. It's not just about the phones. It's also about the platform (iOS, apps, content, etc.)

• Reply 88 of 140
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Non-retina? Bullshit. 

• Reply 89 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Quote:

jungmark....I think Apple shareholders woud disagree with you!

In business you always have to think ahead...I'll bet the company that made the finest horsedrawn buggy in the world probably thought the same as you before Henry Ford started cranking out affordable autos in the early 1900's!

• Reply 90 of 140
    mj1970 wrote: »
    Perhaps not in the short-term. But this could be dangerous thinking. It's not just about the phones. It's also about the platform (iOS, apps, content, etc.)

If you're talking about platform, you obviously need to include the iPad and touch.

Apple should not be in the race to the bottom. As said before, a rejiggered 4 will be the low cost version. No need for a "new" one.
  • Reply 91 of 140
    jungmark....I think Apple shareholders woud disagree with you!

In business you always have to think ahead...I'll bet the company that made the finest horsedrawn buggy in the world probably thought the same as you before Henry Ford started cranking out affordable autos in the early 1900's!

Well shareholders are different. If they don't understand the iPhone was both the #1 and#2 models sold in the world, along with record sales, then they should get out.

If that's the case, should Apple also make a sub-500 Mac? These same analysts also said Apple needed a Netbook.
  • Reply 92 of 140

Quote:

If you're talking about platform, you obviously need to include the iPad and touch.

Agreed. But the phone is a huge part of the platform. Don't ignore that.

Quote:

Apple should not be in the race to the bottom.

Who said they are? And who cares if they are? This whole "race to the bottom" thing seems to be code language for "I don't think X should sell more affordable products for more people." But this is what the market does...it moves products that were original only available for the wealthy and, ultimately, makes them commonplace for everyone, often including the poor. Companies ignore this reality at their potential peril.

Quote:

As said before, a rejiggered 4 will be the low cost version. No need for a "new" one.

Maybe. What difference does it make if it is a new phone or not?

• Reply 93 of 140
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

If that's the case, should Apple also make a sub-500 Mac? These same analysts also said Apple needed a Netbook.

I'd love if the Mac Mini was $499 again. Kick up that marketshare.

• Reply 94 of 140

Quote:

If that's the case, should Apple also make a sub-500 Mac?

This feels a bit like an apples/oranges comparison (if you'll pardon the pun). To some degree Apple, with the stuff like iPad and iPhone was skating where the puck was going. Desktop PCs are likely dead. Mobile, wireless, jacked into the cloud ALL the time is where things are going. Fewer and fewer people are buying desktops...they are moving toward laptops, tables, phones, etc. If the case inverse, Apple might well be looking harder at trying to create more affordable desktops. But, I suspect, they're not wasting time and other resources (including attention) on a dying market segment.

• Reply 95 of 140
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I wonder if they'll use liquidmetal as an internal frame? That stuff is strong enough that it wouldn't take much to give rigidity. Then the whole thing could be wrapped in plastic and be solid as a brick of glass.
  • Reply 96 of 140
    mj1970 wrote: »
    Agreed. But the phone is a huge part of the platform. Don't ignore that.

Who said they are? And who cares if they are? This whole "race to the bottom" thing seems to be code language for "I don't think X should sell more affordable products for more people." But this is what the market does...it moves products that were original only available for the wealthy and, ultimately, makes them commonplace for everyone, often including the poor. Companies ignore this reality at their potential peril.

Maybe. What difference does it make if it is a new phone or not?

1. who is ignoring the iPhone? You have to combine all three to compare platforms. The iPhone and iPad markets are growing.

2. Market share doesn't pay the bills. HP is #1/2 and was trying to exit the PC market. Dell just went private. Stockholders and analysts should be aware of this and should not succumb to the "Market Share equals winning" meme. The iPhone isn't just for the wealthy. Lots of working class people have them. Me, I'm still waiting for a sub $5000 GM car in new condition. Frak, a $10000 new BMW would look great in my driveway too.

3. Apparently analysts and Wall Street cares.
  • Reply 97 of 140
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

But, I suspect, they're not wasting time and other resources (including attention) on a dying market segment.

On the contrary. They're 'dying' now, but once laptops have been replaced by tablets the desktop will see a resurgence. Since tablets will never be able to match desktop/laptop power, there will always be some form of (semi)stationary counterpart to the mobile "revolution". 

• Reply 98 of 140

Quote:

Well shareholders are different. If they don't understand the iPhone was both the #1 and#2 models sold in the world, along with record sales, then they should get out.

I am a shareholder and I do understand the iPhone was tops....but the point is that the market looks long term and sees Android comming up fast! Trust me, if shareholders like myself were to abondon Apple now, the stock would fall to $300 in no time flat! I am staying long in AAPL because I know it is a quality company with innovative products and a loyal consumer base....I believe the stock will rebound eventually and go back up to where it was 6-8 months ago!

My point is you're kidding yourself if you don't think that lower cost phones in the emerging markets aren't a threat! NO ONE is suggesting that Apple sell a "entry level" phone in established markets like the U.S., Japan or Europe.... only in emerging markets like India/China where the majority of consumers can't afford a $450-$650 phone.

Actually your point about the Mac makes my case..you can buy a Mac Mini on Amazon right now for $549!! I'm thinking of getting one myself..my 10 year old iMac G4 is still really cool, but not as fast or nimble as it once was! The Mac Mini does pretty much everything the $1,300 iMac does...AT LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE!!!! Just hook up an old monitor and keyboard and BAM...you are good to go!

I agree with most here that Apple is a PREMIUM manufacturer....like Mercedes Benz or BMW...but even Mercedes and BMW have entry level models they sell in other parts of the world!! No one wants to tarnish Apple's image....but we also can't ignore the huge emerging markets either!

• Reply 99 of 140
    Please! If you yourself have a eyesight disfunction, don't project this problem to the majority of all the other people.
    I don't have the best eyesight myself, but as long as I wear my glasses, I see a substantial difference between retina and non retina.
    Something that must be true even more so for younger people. And younger people are from my point of view definitely the majority. 

I can also see the difference
  • Reply 100 of 140
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

This is just wrong on so many levels. There are no qualification criteria for owning $AAPL shares, except you need to have the means to purchase the stock. If there were such criteria, you may well not make the cut. Just because you happen to know a few numbers here and there does not make you a better shareholder than a stock-shorting hedgefund scumbag or a basement-dwelling granny hoping to improve her retirement days. In fact, with your constant whining, you may well be one of the worst kinds of shareholders.

I forgive you for being an ignorant whiner because you can't change what you are. But I don't forgive you for your arrogant invective against those you presume to be superior to. Now shut the F up about what shareholders are supposed to know or entitled to have. You know shit.