Purported Apple 'iPhone 5S' parts show home button, vibration

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

My wife has gotta hear about this.

• Reply 22 of 38
    jwbljwbl Posts: 5member
    Is it me or does it look like the vibration module has 3 LEDs going across the bar on the top?
  • Reply 23 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by JWBL View Post

Is it me or does it look like the vibration module has 3 LEDs going across the bar on the top?

Thing about components which serve the same function is that they don't have anything to do with one another. You're seeing what you want to see.

• Reply 24 of 38
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    wings wrote: »
    I wouldn't say no fingerprint sensor on that button ... it's got at least 10 connections to it (see the connector). You wouldn't need 10 connections just for a button.

I had the intermittent button response problem on my 4S. The tech that replaced it explained that the button has more contacts than just the bottom center . Sure enough when I pressed with my left finger I could never make it fail. Perhaps it has 8 contacts around the outside, one in the middle and one that provides juice. /shrug
  • Reply 25 of 38
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

So .. no fingerprint reader under the button then. Good.

I guess Apple would probably have the fingerprint reader built into the screen.  I think that's where they might put that functionality.  The only thing we can really do other than speculate is to wait.

• Reply 26 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

All I need to know. Time to order the BB10. These cables are just an evolution.

Do you even understand the article?  Using a Flex cable is simply stating that they are Flex cables and they aren't trying to pitch that they are some innovation.  the button itself if where the changes are as they are showing the current part and the new part.  That's all this article is showing are the differences in the parts and speculating what the actual changes are.  Apple's been using Flex cables on their other products LONG before Blackberry was even a company as Flex cables have been used in desktop and laptop computers for YEARS.  The over all design of the parts are different and what the actual differences are is pure speculation.  For all we know, these might not even be the final Flex cable/button/vibrator.   They are just rumors.

• Reply 27 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Oh Apple, Samsung S4 is not a great upgrade from S3. It does not mean that you can take some rest and be happy. No Fingerprint scanner? This is shit. If this is the case, 5S is another S4. Shit.

Why are you getting bent out of shape?  Whatever they are working on is a new model.  What it's going to have or not have remains to be seen.  Apple is always working on improvements when they have the technology/need to improve something.  Remember, the final product(s) have NOT been released yet.

Personally, the S4 is more like an upgrade to the first generation Note but without the stylus pen.  To me, the S4 is more of a phablet w/o a stylus, which to me, is simply too big in terms of overall size.  I hope that Apple releases a larger screen phone, but something smaller than a 5 inch model by Jan 2014 as that's when my 2 year contract is up, so what they release before then doesn't really affect me on a personal level.  But when my 2 year contract is up, then I'll get excited about what's on the market.   

• Reply 28 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    @digitalclips ... Have you seen the one about the G4 cube redesign idea for the Mac Pro?

Is that the one where it crosses the road to get to the other side?
  • Reply 29 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    evilution wrote: »
    Picture (above) of the iP5 button only has 2 connections. Interesting to see if it will do something extra on the next iPhone.
    Jeez, is this the replacement for the people moaning about matt screens and blu-ray drives?

That was always MacBook users moaning about that sort of stuff. Users of Mac Pros can have any screen they want, as many as they want (nearly) and any number of burners, blu, geen or red. That's why thery are called Mac Pros. :D
  • Reply 30 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Can a person's capacitance change over time? Could we see the situation where a phone locks out the owner because his/her capacitance has changed by more than the margin of error in the sensor?

Yes probably even minute to minute. For example when wearing surgical gloves or some other thin glove, the phone works fine but I would be willing to bet that the capacitive value is different. If you walk outside on a really cold day the capacitive value would likely be different too. I think using that method of identity authorization is too problematic, especially when Apple has a license to use actual fingerprint reading tech. Still an issue for surgical gloves but more than likely you would be able to turn off that feature if need be.

• Reply 31 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Man! I hope you are jesting with us because if you are serious, you fail at life.

Wovel is a well-known card. See his post in the thread today about Google working on a watch.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    For heaven's sake can we get some Mac Pro rumors for a change?

The lactating udders from which all iPhone 5S rumors spurt forth is still heavy with their fluids. Every drop must be harvested for maximum site engagement!
  • Reply 33 of 38
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

My wife has gotta hear about this.

Well they have for years stated an iPhone is one of the most personal devices you can own, Apple is just taking it to a new level.

• Reply 34 of 38
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    wings wrote: »
    I wouldn't say no fingerprint sensor on that button ... it's got at least 10 connections to it (see the connector). You wouldn't need 10 connections just for a button.

Perhaps a joystick?

Jeez, is this the replacement for the people moaning about matt screens and blu-ray drives?

That was always MacBook users moaning about that sort of stuff. Users of Mac Pros can have any screen they want, as many as they want (nearly) and any number of burners, blu, geen or red. That's why thery are called Mac Pros. :D

Excellent response!

On the topic of off topic Mac Pro, there are very good threads to read, which you are already doing, but I thought I'd post a couple of links. Many useful info here, from readers and moderators, all well founded, filled with links, thoughts, ideas and pics:

And an interesting question from Belgium on the topic of I/O Controller Hub
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/155198/mac-pro-ich
  • Reply 35 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree :D

Although I've got my MacPro 1,1 running 16Gb/5770/Mountain Lion it is still screaming for a replacement.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what they will replace it with/new version.

It's always interesting to see what they are up to with new versions.  Any parts/news on the new larger screen version?

• Reply 36 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator

Rumour has it the power button will look like this:

Both the Mac Pro and iPhone won't be out for a while yet so there probably won't be anything to go on until later on this year:

http://www.wmskill.com/hardware/newest-core-i7-extreme-ivy-bridge-eep-intel-cpus-postponed

The launch of Ivy Bridge EP could happen around September at IDF. There is an IDF event on April 10th, they might have some Haswell desktop/laptop news then. Intel was supposed to launch Haswell for the new MBPs in April but it looks like June now. IDF will probably give some info about what's happening and when though.

edit: Here's an article with a rough schedule:

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013032101_Launch_schedule_of_Intel_Xeon_processors.html

The ones for the Mac Pro would be Xeon E5-2600 v2 and they are still saying Q3 2013, which goes from July-September. They could show off Xeon E3 in a couple of weeks along with Haswell desktop/laptop and launch E5 in September as well as show samples of Haswell Xeons which will be DDR4 compatible. The Ivy Bridge EP chipsets don't support 4x SATA 6G connections, USB3 or PCIe3 so Apple would have to add all of those things, which they typically don't do in their computer line.

Apple could announce a newly designed Mac Pro at WWDC and say it will ship 3 months later. They can't force Intel to make the chips faster. They could get the first batch of the chips but it's already been so long, another couple of months isn't going to make much difference.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    cowasaki wrote: »
    Although I've got my MacPro 1,1 running 16Gb/5770/Mountain Lion..

But 1,1 runs up to 10.7.5, no?

@Marvin Excellent post. Again.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    redmanredman Posts: 15member
    bsimpsen wrote: »
    The iPhone 5 home button assembly has only two contacts, as you'll see around 4:45 in this video...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUEFNcu_IEE
    Those two large gold pads were designed to mate to springs on some other subassembly. The speaker connects the same way.

It's possible that they switched to a surface mount connector for assembly related reasons, and that the smallest connector in the family carries 10 pins, but I see evidence of more than two traces in the flex cable. So, I think we are seeing more than two connections in the new assembly. I don't know how Authentec's fingerprint reading technology works, but classic ridge detection would require more complexity than I'm seeing here.

Using methods similar to the magic mouse, Apple could be putting rudimentary gesture detection in the home button. Swiping up/down/left/right across the button surface could be detected with perhaps no more than four sensors and that many additional wires.
    What would be the purpose of a home button with left/right/up/down swipe? You can do that on the screen. Unless it would be swipping between apps? I'd like that!