Editorial: Google?s Android powered by remarkable new 'Flawgic'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 344
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

**** the haters. Articles like this is why I visit this site. Rumor/Analyst/News bullshit can be found anywhere else. This is the real golden stuff, regardless of whether you agree with it.

Personally, I found it absolutely brilliant. 

+1 :)

• Reply 142 of 344
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Bugger... seeing this kind of piece on AI is disappointing. This isn't an editorial, this is a farce.
  • Reply 143 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ok, here's a set of snippets from just your first post:

The problem with publishing ridiculous articles like this .... some kind of brainless fan boy ....I have had Apple computers since ..... ... just replaced my iPhone5 with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It is a far better phone ....IOS and the iPhone have not really had any massive jumps ......Siri is rubbish ..... LTE is useless.......the wallet thing is useless for me; iCloud removed some of the things I really liked about MobileMe; a new connector, so what it just makes things less compatible!; no ability to add a memory card, ......maps that wasn't right .... FAR more apps, but so what, this is like the Windows/MacOS thing ..... but unless Apple come up with something new for the iPhone6/7/8 I'll not be going back there.

Hmmm. It's a wonder that you only got the polite diss that you did.

So how is that having a go at Apple....

The problem with publishing ridiculous articles like this .... is talking about the article not Apple.

some kind of brainless fan boy. (taken out of context) -  I said that it makes him sound like that. He has been referred to as a fan boy by Alfiejr not more than a few posts ago.  

I have had Apple computers since ..... Not sure how "I have had Apple computers since" is having a go at Apple!  I still have them and there is absolutely no way I'm changing that.

just replaced my iPhone5 with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It is a far better phone (taken out of context) - I clearly say "in my opinion" afterwards. That is not slagging Apple themselves off it is saying that I've replaced my phone with another one and I think that it is a far better phone.  This is not slagging Apple off is it?  It is saying that they are slipping and that their latest phones are not the game changer that their previous ones were in my opinion.

IOS and the iPhone have not really had any massive jumps ... - Again I'm not slagging Apple of but I AM criticising them for a lack of new features that I want.

Siri is rubbish .... - It is

LTE is useless (taken out of context) - I say that LTE is as the coverage is very poor and my provider isn't able to offer it anyway.....  Apple doesn't support the frequency that my provider could use and LTE isn't supported anywhere near me.

the wallet thing is useless for me - It has no use FOR ME.  Again I'm not slagging Apple off but this feature is of no use to me.

iCloud removed some of the things I really liked about MobileMe; - HOW ON EARTH IS THIS SLAGGING THEM OFF!!  I am criticising their removal of features that I liked within MobileMe that were not replaced in iCloud.

a new connector, so what it just makes things less compatible!; - Again another "feature" that really isn't one at all.  What benefit is there to me of a new connector?  It makes the iPhone5 incompatible with my car and all the leads I have lying around at work, home, in the workshop etc etc

no ability to add a memory card, - It doesn't

maps that wasn't right . - Apple have apologised for this themselves....  Does that make Apple trolls ???

FAR more apps, but so what, this is like the Windows/MacOS thing - We can't really have this as a massive bonus without giving in to the Windows mob who always quoted it to us!  Yes they had dozens of spreadsheets or word processors but you only need one decent one!  It's similar with the App Store.  There are so many apps doing the same thing....  I was looking for a violin tuner and there were more than a dozen!

but unless Apple come up with something new for the iPhone6/7/8 I'll not be going back there. - Again I'm not slagging them off what I am saying there can be read both ways....  If they DO add things that I want I will go back, if they don't I will not.

So what you are all saying is that you can only post in here if you are in complete agreement that everything Apple does is perfect and nothing could possibly be improved until Apple improve it then the new version is perfect till the next one comes out.

I have not just joined to slag Apple off.  I've been a member on here about 5 years!  I like almost everything they do but do I have to like everything??

Do you all like everything?

I'm not calling them names and I'm not saying the iPhone is rubbish.  It has it's faults but it is still a good phone.  Yes I prefer my new one but I haven't said that the new one is perfect either.  I've listed a number of things I don't like about that phone too.

• Reply 144 of 344

There are quite a number of long term members on here who are saying that this article has issues, it is not just me.

• Reply 145 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Never made it past the second paragraph.

you did.  You made it all the way to the comments

• Reply 146 of 344
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

It was definitely a sermon written for the faithful kind of piece. Enjoyable even as it glossed over the many things Apple has also "borrowed" from Android and no doubt will continue to do so in the future. I mentioned many examples of those in my last post. It is fine to preach to the choir on an Apple site and I wouldn't expect it to be anything less by DED. Having read some of his Microsoft rants years ago on his roughlydrafted.com site you can see a very similar style with a new boogeyman. I never really used Windows or any Microsoft products so I was a bit more eager to lap those articles up without question. I do use and enjoy many Google services though and had two Android phones prior to owning my current iPhone so I am not so easily convinced by the fire and brimstone sermon as I was by the anti-Microsoft pieces.  

Most iOS users rely on at least some Google services. Whether it is for searches, gmail, google voice, maps, and many others. Google needs Apple as well for revenue from a very large base of users. At one time and possibly still true, I read that Google earns more revenue from iOS than Android. The end consumer is the real winner. People like to say what would Android look like had there never been an iPhone or would it even exist. But what would iOS and the iPhone look like without any real competition. Would Apple have moved so quickly with many advancements that might have taken far longer if they controlled 85% of the world market? doubtful. Stiff competition means better products and more innovations in our hands far sooner. 

• Reply 147 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So Apple pushes the envelope yet again by making it much thinner and lighter than before — note that you oddly never mentioned weight — and even comes out with an LTE chip that is worlds better than all its competitors despite already leading in their class so that 3G and 4G times are have the same duration and yet you still want to call this rot. I am certain, within your sentence after sentence of how Apple ha failed you as a customer you would have mentioned it was too thick an too heavy as proof that they aren't progressing their designs had they not changed them. That's what a concern troll does. No matter how much change there is it's never enough or the right kind of change.

Even now you're saying that 8 hours of LTE use isn't enough to last you the day despite it being 25% more than the iPhone 4S gets on 3G. You also appear to be implying that it's 8 hours from the time you turn it on to the time the battery goes dead with your dubious claims of not lasting all day. Now, your may truly be that oblivious to how the device is rated but to me it sounds like typical concern troll antics.

I've already said that I can't use LTE anyway!  I never mentioned weight because it wasn't too heavy before.  

So what you are saying is that I am a "concern troll" because I don't agree with everything that everyone else does.

If the changes don't benefit ME then they are no use to ME.  The engineering is all very interesting and clever but unless it actually helps me there's no point in it for me!

So if they added 5G right now even though it isn't in place you would like that as a feature??

Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony etc are just electronics companies making products to sell in order to make a profit.  It isn't a religion!!!  I am allowed to think that 90% of their products are excellent and 10% could be better - it doesn't make me a bad person, troll, concern troll or anything else.  

If anybody has a problem with that then fine, it's your problem not mine....  I will still follow what they are doing and hopefully their next product will do what I want and I will switch back.  Simple as that.

• Reply 148 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowasaki View Post

Who designed the first laptop??  All laptops have a similar layout so has everyone copied them?  I'm sure it wasn't Apple so has Apple copied that company? - NO it's just logical.

Who first put the keyboard of laptops near the the screen leaving room to rest your hands for typing?

Before Apple release their Powerbooks  every lap, and there where many companies selling laptops, had them at the very front.

Another case of Apple innovation - the rest copy.  Some copy well, some copy cheaply.

Oh yes, what cursor control was before?  Trackballs - the best was Apple's but then came trackpads.

Your argument that functionality determines only one solution is false - unless of course you slavishly copy.

• Reply 149 of 344
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

you all know, this thread is really a classic example of what's so often wrong with comment sections. most comments either (1) non-specifically praise or trash the author or the piece, or (2) criticize others' comments. nit-picking is the common approach. and as usual one commenter is going to rebut every remark about him/her, even if that takes dozens of posts.

can't we just discuss - beyond nit-picking - the ACTUAL ISSUES THE ARTICLE RAISES? there are a lot of worthy topics there. wouldn't that be a lot more interesting than what we think of the author or other commenters? (i tried up above ... maybe i should change my user name to Voice In The Wilderness.)

• Reply 150 of 344
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

LOL

There goes any chance of you getting taken seriously ever again...

Was anyone really taking him seriously?  For all his criticisms of the article, his logic was pretty much all over the board, and his "complaint" about copying never elucidated, let alone successfully argued.  

• Reply 151 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

“I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.”

Yeah, if I had any complaint about this article it would be that it's far too long-winded.  A good editor would have cut it in half and it would lose none of the content, be much more focussed, and thus have a bigger impact.  

• Reply 152 of 344
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    edit: Bah, over it. Time for [I]Spring Breakers[/I].
  • Reply 153 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It's kind of hard to objectively evaluate an article written by DED when he has clearly over the years established himself as having a very strong Apple bias. His articles usually have some really good info to consider, but you have to read it with a healthy bit of skepticism considering his very non-objective view of all things Apple. ...

I disagree.  It depends on your definition of "bias" perhaps.  

I know bias is basically just "prejudice" technically, but I was always taught that it also means that the person with said bias is going to be a liar or an unreliable source of information.  That they are going to be "spreading lies," telling things that aren't true etc.  I don't see that there has ever been any substantial indications that DED actually lies or dissembles.  In fact the worst I've ever seen (and I've read most of his stuff) is that sometimes he strongly *implies* something that may not be *exactly* true in every way, and that sometimes he might leave some fact out that would argue against his opinion, but these are really rare occurrences.  Most of the time he is as fair and (more importantly) as factual as any other writer IMO.  

Overall, underneath the rhetoric, I find DED's "facts" to be more accurate than the average News announcer, tech writer or "analyst" for sure.  He does a lot of deep research for most articles and he tends to write more than those one paragraph "comments passing as articles" that the other sites get away with.  

If you can't find instances of him actually lying, then the constant crying about his "bias" from all quarters is really suspect in my view.  I see it more as the result of a group of folks that don't agree with his opinions, and thus having biases of their own that they aren't owning up to, attacking him for "bias" when said bias is really mostly irrelevant to the argument or the article.  

In the final analysis, everyone, absolutely everyone, has a bias.  So to write articles that acknowledge your own bias, and put it right up front are in some ways more "honest" than to write some shit that passes for objectivity but is just as biased in the end as anything else.  You only have to look at the writings of guys like Seth Weintraub on 9to5 mac, almost any writer on Engadget, to see that they also have some pretty extreme biases themselves and yet they write as if their opinion is direct from the Gods or whatever and hide behind the cloak of "objectivity."  

• Reply 154 of 344
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

By tying Google Glass under poor overall value, you're entire article became worthless. ...

Google Glass is DOA for use by the general public. No one but a hard-core nerd-geek will be a) caught dead wearing those things, or b) want to wear them. And most of them won't even want to.

• Reply 155 of 344
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member
    I wonder what the numbers would be like if Samsung reported sold VS. shipped. I think that Android would not have quite the market share. Just saying.
  • Reply 156 of 344
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

you all know, this thread is really a classic example of what's so often wrong with comment sections. most comments either (1) non-specifically praise or trash the author or the piece, or (2) criticize others' comments. nit-picking is the common approach. and as usual one commenter is going to rebut every remark about him/her, even if that takes dozens of posts.

can't we just discuss - beyond nit-picking - the ACTUAL ISSUES THE ARTICLE RAISES? there are a lot of worthy topics there. wouldn't that be a lot more interesting than what we think of the author or other commenters? (i tried up above ... maybe i should change my user name to Voice In The Wilderness.)

I agree. I tried to make some points about the article on page 3 and a few posts above yours but the only discussion seems to nitpicks points from trolls or thread hijackers and not any salient points from the article itself. Most posts seem to focus on either attacking the author or other posters directly. When you post on AI you have to realize that this is de rigueur. I have found that blocking certain users I found especially insufferable has made life here far more tolerable. 

• Reply 157 of 344
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It's kind of hard to objectively evaluate an article written by DED when he has clearly over the years established himself as having a very strong Apple bias. His articles usually have some really good info to consider, but you have to read it with a healthy bit of skepticism considering his very non-objective view of all things Apple. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I disagree.  It depends on your definition of "bias" perhaps.  

I know bias is basically just "prejudice" technically, but I was always taught that it also means that the person with said bias is going to be a liar or an unreliable source of information.  That they are going to be "spreading lies," telling things that aren't true etc.  I don't see that there has ever been any substantial indications that DED actually lies or dissembles.  In fact the worst I've ever seen (and I've read most of his stuff) is that sometimes he strongly *implies* something that may not be *exactly* true in every way, and that sometimes he might leave some fact out that would argue against his opinion, but these are really rare occurrences.  Most of the time he is as fair and (more importantly) as factual as any other writer IMO.

"Bias" doesn't say anything about the truth value of the statements made. After all, the truth is biased: it's not "fair and balanced", it's biased toward the facts. All "bias" means is that one's viewpoint is skewed in one direction or the other. If it's skewed, biased, toward the truth, toward facts, then one is correct. If it's skewed the other direction, then not. Any opinion that isn't "biased" isn't likely to be worth much.

• Reply 158 of 344
    I read AI everyday and enjoy it. While it is not over the top fanboy/pushing sales of sponsors like Cult of Mac, I am aware it is pro- Apple by design.
    However, this kind of article does not belong here- it is not objective and seriously calls into question the worth of AI as a source of unbiased information about apple products.
    Bad decision by the editorial board, if there is one.
    Misguided.
  • Reply 159 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjptango View Post

Who first put the keyboard of laptops near the the screen leaving room to rest your hands for typing?

Before Apple release their Powerbooks  every lap, and there where many companies selling laptops, had them at the very front.

Another case of Apple innovation - the rest copy.  Some copy well, some copy cheaply.

Oh yes, what cursor control was before?  Trackballs - the best was Apple's but then came trackpads.

Your argument that functionality determines only one solution is false - unless of course you slavishly copy.

To be honest I've never even thought about that....

I've been repairing laptops for over 15 years, although FAR more in the last 5 years than earlier as they are much more popular now.   Let me think about it.........

I've just looked up the Powerbook, I can't even think back to the Windows laptops of that vintage........

So, the Powerbook 100 series, it certainly looks like a modern laptop.  I've looked at the equivalent vintage Toshiba laptops and yes their keyboards start at the front of the machine.

I was NEVER a fan of rollerballs or those silly little joysticks so only really had my own laptop from the era of the touchpad.........

The oldest laptop I can specifically remember owning was the Compaq M300 but I did have them before that..... Clearly not very memorable ones.  Laptops were always FAR more expensive than the equivalent desktop so I preferred to spend money on desktops.  I hadn't discovered Apple computers back then so was still using Windows for everything.

To be fair, you are putting words in my mouth in relation to your last sentence that functionality determines only one solution.  I didn't actually say that in so many words.

In certain circumstances function does dictate form and that is true.  If I say to you design me a container for a football that is easy to make out of wood then the most likely shape would be a cube (or a rectangular box if it's rugby/am football etc) and cutting wood into anything more complicated would be difficult.  If I said design me a chair then we could still be looking at new designs in six months time. If however I said here is a touch screen, thats what we want to use now as a display and input device for our new product which has to be as small, light and thin enough to put in a pocket and carry round plus still having room for the battery and electronics then you do have more options but realistically the touch screen is going to take up most of the front of the device which is going to be sort of rectangular with speaker near the top and mic at the bottom.......  

This is where the design can take alternative routes with rounded corners, nearly square corners etc metal trim etc....

Looking at the designs of Samsung phones from the full touch screen era onwards they do start off looking like the 3G etc so there is probably some/a lot of truth in the copying thing.  I will leave that up to the legal profession to argue over but looking at all the full touch screen devices the basic layout is pretty much the same across the board.  Part of the argument is that there isn't much scope to do something dramatically different, that is until someone like Sir Ives comes up with something that nobody has thought about before!

• Reply 160 of 344
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowasaki View Post

The problem with publishing ridiculous articles like this..

/snip

...blah blah blah

Hahahaha, well done on joining the spirit of this article with an obviously satirical joke post containing all the elements espoused by the typical Google Goggle blinded acolyte.

You crack me up so much I'm selling my Mac Plus and buying a 286 imageimageimage