Networking challenged

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok I got a long list of things I want to do but am not sure how.

First I have earthlink DSL (PPoPe), an flow point 2200 DSL router (with a 4 port ethernet port on the back), and an airport (graphite).

Currently I have 3 macs connected wirelessly though the airport.

I am interested in havin an old performa serve as a web server though my dsl, but have no idea what to do about that beyond connecting it to the modem.

Also I want to somehow run a wire (or will i have to have earthlink out to install a new line or sumthin) to the basement so my PS2 and GameCube can tap my DSL also?

So basicly I want to know how to go about contnueing useing my airport, while also having a webserver up via my old performa. While somehow connecting my PS2 and Gamecube to the DSL too?

thanks for any help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    well, for the performa, check if it has a nic ("network interface card", or "ethernet card"). I don't know exactly when those were introduced, but if it has one then it should be easy. The nic will look like a phone jack, except the hole will be wider (like the ones you have on the router). If it doesn't have a nic, you'll want to get one. I don't know if performas had pci slots, but if they don't, then this is the end of the line. Cuz, w/o a pci slot you'll have a tough time getting an ethernet network to that comp.

Once you have a nic, just grab a patch ethernet category 5 ("cat5") cable and plug it from the performa's nic to the router. Now, its on the network and can run ur server.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>well, for the performa, check if it has a nic ("network interface card", or "ethernet card"). I don't know exactly when those were introduced, but if it has one then it should be easy. The nic will look like a phone jack, except the hole will be wider (like the ones you have on the router). If it doesn't have a nic, you'll want to get one. I don't know if performas had pci slots, but if they don't, then this is the end of the line. Cuz, w/o a pci slot you'll have a tough time getting an ethernet network to that comp.

Once you have a nic, just grab a patch ethernet category 5 ("cat5") cable and plug it from the performa's nic to the router. Now, its on the network and can run ur server.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think most PC performas has ethernet, but not an RJ45 port. I think they used AAUI as the ethernet interface. You can pick up an AAUI to RJ45 transceiver on eBay for not very much (about $20 three years ago)...

Once your performa is on the network, you have to open port 80 on your firewall (builtin to airport Basestation I think) or whatever routing software you are using and forwrd that port to the performa...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    This is from a Quarda 650. About the same time as some performas. There is a different ethernet port that doesn't look like a phone jack. I don't know what it is called, but I took a picture.

<a href="http://www.ssba.com/lad/portlg.jpg"; target="_blank"></a>

EDIT: Well, ok. The post above me mentioned this port. Anyway, I'll keep the picture for your enjoyment.

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: Ebby ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yeah I baught a ethernet card and installed it. So I got a normal port.

Is there anyway though, with pluggin the performa into the router for it to be dected on the airport network? Also when I do plug it into there, am I going to have to install the PPoPe software on there and connect the same way?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by ? Da Reverand Cutler ?:

<strong>Yeah I baught a ethernet card and installed it. So I got a normal port.

Is there anyway though, with pluggin the performa into the router for it to be dected on the airport network? Also when I do plug it into there, am I going to have to install the PPoPe software on there and connect the same way?</strong><hr></blockquote>

well, make sure the router is setup to do NAT (preferably via DHCP). It probably already does. Then you setup the performa's TCP/IP control panel to use Ethernet via DHCP, and then its on the inet. The router should take care of PPPoE (not sure about that tho). Once the performa is on the internet, then the airport computer(s) can access it just like any other internet site. The addressing system is weird though. Within your network, computers will have to refer to the performa with a different address than outside of your network (probably 192.0.0.x within, and something else for the world outside).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I think PPPoE is used to connect your router to your dsl ISP. Your computers use TCP/IP to talk to the router and each other. The performa won't show up on an airport network, but you can connect to it if you punch in it's IP address in "connect to server" in the chooser (OS 9). Not sure how to do that in OSX.