gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

• Reply 233 of 344

That is all.

Thank you for your co-operation.

• Reply 234 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the saying goes... Opinions are like armpits - Everyone has a couple and they all stink.

i love it.... I am so going to use this.

• Reply 235 of 344
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Were these premade, or did you do them all yourself?

• Reply 236 of 344
    This article is just a rant, that compares a brand to a platform. They are not even the same concept. It's like saying "BMW is cool, cars are not." Google basically followed the philosophy of Linux with Android (diversity, freedom of choice, interoperability), and such as Linux is not for everyone, neither is Android.

BTW, it's interesting to look back at the articles when Android was introduced. People were disappointed. "We were hoping for a cool product, and all that Google had done was to create yet another mobile platform. This is nothing new, nor exciting." Oh well... Android has about 75% market share now. It is now what Windows was for the desktop: you can dislike it, you can despise it, but it's there, it's everywhere, and it will stay. Soon the only place where the question "where did it come from" will arise will be on the pages of Wikipedia :)
  • Reply 237 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Were these premade, or did you do them all yourself?

A magician, or an idiot, never reveals his secrets...

• Reply 238 of 344
    A nice change of pace! And for those questioning whether or not this is news, remember that in the headline it said, "Editorial:" so this means opinion!
  • Reply 239 of 344
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

What I know is that ever since the iPad, Apple has been set on cruise control, and the major upgrades have been "thinner" and "lighter". While Google has been set on explore mode and have taken risks that have either paid off or haven't. While Apple remains timid and not wanting to change too much, Google has been pushing out new ideas and concepts, new tools to help advance technology. Apple just hoards cash and is scared to take risks.

ie Apple hasn't created new markets in three years!
  • Reply 240 of 344

I am a Johnny Come Lately in the Apple camp. For years, I resisted the Apple Reality Distortion Zone ;)

I built my own PCs and for my MP3s, I had one of the original Zunes with a 10GB HDD. Way bigger than what Apple had. 

Being a techie, I was not a stranger to gadgets. I had a Palm V/Vx, m505, and numerous iPaqs from Compaq then HP. I also had Dopods (before HTC began using its own name), from the 838 Pro to the 900 and even a Samsung Blackberryjack. I also had a bunch of Sony Ericssons on Symbians.

But on a trip to the US, I decided to pick up the original iPhone just for kicks and to see what the fuss was about. 

And I appreciated the whole elegance of the user interface. Everything clicked. It was IMHO revolutionary. Except for the 2G limitation, it did everything I wanted. I sold it off to an Apple fanboy when I got back :D but when Apple released the 3G, I got it immediately. If you weren't along for the journey, it is easy to dismiss what Apple did but until the iPhone came along, the UIs on phones were incredibly clunky. As a techie, this didn't faze me. But trying to teach a less technically inclined person was very very difficult. But the iPhone changed that. To say that Apple didn't create something new is IMHO unfair. And the same design language employed on the Android platform is what makes the transition for non-techies so easy. And even then, it took Apple a pretty long time. Touching and scrolling vs touching and selecting always seemed clumsy for the first few iterations of Android. While I never got it wrong on the Apple, the Android often misunderstood what I intended. Similarly, the Nexus One's horrendous positioning of the "Back" soft key meant I always ended up dismissing my SMS/WhatsApp window while typing. It was incredibly infuriating. 

I do agree that with Android being a freer platform, it is easier to get new features implemented. I still can't fathom why Apple doesn't make a simple widget to turn on/off Wifi/BT/Cellular Data/GPS when it is one of the most commonly used features. But on the whole, it is still a much more intuitive platform. My father was missing his whatsapp messages on his Samsung Note (which my sis passed on to him when she moved back to an iPhone) because he didn't see a back button (it is only lit when you press it).