Moved [GB]: uninstalling

emeeme
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi im a new mac owner, i want to know which way is the right way or best way to uninstall an application??? just deleting it from the applications foldr or what??

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mario Estrada:

<strong>hi im a new mac owner, i want to know which way is the right way or best way to uninstall an application??? just deleting it from the applications foldr or what??</strong><hr></blockquote>

In general, yes, the proper way to uninstall an application is to just drag it to the trash.

Caveats:

1) Some applications use installers that plop files in various places. Printer utilities may install printer drivers in /Library, for example.

2) This won't get rid of all possible leftover files, such as your preferences for that app. This really annoys some people. (I don't mind.)

3) You're only going to be able to delete applications that you have access privileges for... if you try and delete, say, System Preferences, you'll be blocked by the OS. Or, if you try and delete an app from someone else's filespace, you'll likewise be denied. In general, if you installed it, you can delete it.

And, with that answer, this goes off to the Genius Bar, where general support questions belong.