Nokia CEO dodges premium Lumia questions, throws iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Elop, sounds like Flop.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    kaipherkaipher Posts: 24member
    That reporter was awfully belligerent; downright rude. Here Elop is announcing something people had been working on for a while, trying to bring a product to market that they hope will feed their babies, and the reporter is dismissively rude of what they've worked on without a second's thought.

Yes... Nokia is probably gone the way of the Walkman, but dude... common courtesy. If I were production manager, I'd fire that guy. Oh yeah, he's ugly too.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Harkimo later sued Elop for theft and destruction of personal property, as any sane person would.

Outside of the USA, folks don't do that
  • Reply 44 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Outside of the USA, folks don't do that

That's good to know. So when I'm down in Europe running around smashing personal property, stealing things, and generally doing illegal actions, if I get picked up by the police I'll be sure to tell them that I'm immune from any lawsuits brought against me by the people I've hurt.

• Reply 45 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Nokia is going to become increasingly dangerous to the other mobile techs. Money is getting tighter and they're turning to their IP, some of it pretty old, to piggyback on other players success.

One tactic is placing patents, even standard-essential ones, with outside NPE's for enforcement. That means even those Nokia-licensed companies like Apple will be seeing more IP-infringement suits based on Nokia patents, while Nokia is isolated from counter-claims. The less-successful their Microsoft partnership is the more we can expect Nokia to lean on IP for income from those with a positive cash-flow.

They're also becoming much more aggressive in filing their own infringement lawsuits. Seems nearly every day recently there's been another giddy FOSSpatents article on a Nokia suit and how strong their portfolio is. Worse is they have no qualms about demanding injunctions for SEP's. The FCC settlement with Google concerning injunctions doesn't apply to Nokia.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's good to know. So when I'm down in Europe running around smashing personal property, stealing things, and generally doing illegal actions, if I get picked up by the police I'll be sure to tell them that I'm immune from any lawsuits brought against me by the people I've hurt.

Don't, not can't.  Do you really think a bruised iPhone (confirmed: no damage) is worth the trouble of a lawsuit?  Or is it the bruised ego that matters more?

• Reply 47 of 67
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Big difference is that it's a parody, not made by Apple and at no point does it say that Apple products are better.

Jobs would quite often start a keynote with a parody video. I wish they'd do it again.

• Reply 48 of 67
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It looked staged to me. The interviewer sounds like he was paid, for what was overall a product plug rather than a real interview.

Almost certainly. They would have established beforehand what he would and would not answer and either they set this whole thing up or at least that bit of 'schtick'. Although it was super awkward so I'm guessing it wasn't supposed to play like that. It's possible, for example, that the CEO was just told he'd be asked about Nokia in general and not that specific phone and he got frazzled by it and didn't just calmly say something like. 'In the interests of protecting our trade secrets I can't talk about THAT model but you will love it. It's very much a part of the Nokia family (talk about the products in general)" and then the schtick might have been intended as more like the interviewer would pull out his iPhone and together they would toss it as a big happy moment. But when the interviewer pulled it out it just went awkward

• Reply 49 of 67

Quote:

Apple's cheap tricks were so much better. Although that really should have been live. 

Like the whole ad campaign, that video wasn't saying anything that the press wasn't saying. They were panning Vista and pointing out the hundreds, especially businesses, that stayed on XP. The press were panning the Zune. And so on

Even the shutting down comment wasn't original. It was likely a dig at the Michael Dell statement. 

• Reply 50 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Big difference is that it's a parody, not made by Apple and at no point does it say that Apple products are better.

Jobs would quite often start a keynote with a parody video. I wish they'd do it again.

It may not have been shot and edited by Apple but it was made with their good graces. Steve would never have shown it at WWDC without script approval and final edit. Too many reporters to diss over it at an event like WWDC

• Reply 51 of 67
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    grblade wrote: »
    Staged. No one who has an iPhone wants a Nokia. I left Nokia for iPhone and I'm not looking back.

And you know that because, what, you spilled some beans and they turned out in that particular way?

I for one have 3Gs and am looking at WP8 phone, likely Nokia. My boss has 4s and is looking to move whole company to WP8 devices as soon as issues with SonicWALL are sorted. And yes, I do know other iPhone users who have became a bit bored with iOS slow evolution and are looking at both Android and WP8 options.

Generalizations only make you sound dumb, which I'm sure you are not. Don't let your bias influence your judgement. There is no "no one..." scenario, at least not in consumer spheres. Someone always will. Because there is that thing called free will. Humans are not bacteria. They don't behave exactly the same.
  • Reply 52 of 67

:rolleyes:

I didn't say that, you will be arrested, you will be charged, and you will most likely be found guilty (assuming the existance of said evidence), and you will most likely be made to pay reparation for act. But there is a very slim chance that an individual will try and sue you over it, now their insurance company, that is a different matter.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yeah, I remember the Porsche 928.  It was a POS.  I've been in one.  In its day, it did look cool on the outside and it was fairly cool on the inside, but over time they fell apart.  It took them a while to get that car together and they finally killed it off.    The first engines only had 219 HP, which for a V8 is nothing.  You can easily get that much HP out of a 4 cylinder engine.   Porsche has too many parts that are carried over from the VW product line, hence the 914.  That was another POS.

The new Porsche's aren't too bad, if you like rear engine cars.   I wouldn't buy one, but the new ones are pretty decent, they just have to get away from sharing too many parts with VW, that's what I don't like about them.  Their interiors scream VW, which sucks.  It's like buying a Lexus and noticing a lot of parts are from a freaking Toyota.

You know the joke about Porsche owners?

What's the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine? 

The Porcupine has the pricks on the outside?  LOL.   Sorry, but I couldn't resist.  

And this is relevant why?

• Reply 54 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

And you know that because, what, you spilled some beans and they turned out in that particular way?

I for one have 3Gs and am looking at WP8 phone, likely Nokia. My boss has 4s and is looking to move whole company to WP8 devices as soon as issues with SonicWALL are sorted. And yes, I do know other iPhone users who have became a bit bored with iOS slow evolution and are looking at both Android and WP8 options.

Generalizations only make you sound dumb, which I'm sure you are not. Don't let your bias influence your judgement. There is no "no one..." scenario, at least not in consumer spheres. Someone always will. Because there is that thing called free will. Humans are not bacteria. They don't behave exactly the same.

I have an iPhone and a Lumia 920. Both are very nice.

• Reply 55 of 67

Quote:

If you troubled to actually read the article, you would see that the iPhone was not damaged.

• Reply 56 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

If you troubled to actually read the article, you would see that the iPhone was not damaged.

So I can drive your car off escarpments as long as it "isn't damaged"?

So theft is okay as long as "nothing happened to it"?

• Reply 57 of 67
    So I can drive your car off escarpments as long as it "isn't damaged"?

When has anyone said it was? We would just like to remind you that the vast majority of the worlds population wouldn't sue someone for damaging something, or stealing something, society already has measures in place for that.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    igriv wrote: »
    I have an iPhone and a Lumia 920. Both are very nice.

iP5 is beautiful phone, and I personally think it is sized right for a phone. I'm not looking at other phones because I dislike iPhone.

However, iOS. While some people - majority, maybe? - actually like to replace device and keep using it exactly as they did previous one, without any learning curve involved, there are people - me included - who like to try something new every now and then. Mankind is not a Borg collective - human mind is so diverse there is no "everyone..." scenario outside of some existential basics. Everyone need air. But not same gadget and same features, whatever they are.
  • Reply 59 of 67

:rolleyes:

Only if you smash property folks are not happy with.

But seriously. This is Finland TV, right? Finns are very strong supporters of Nokia. iPhone is one of the strongest, if not the strongest competitor Nokia has. Elopp is outsourced exec trying to get some local "likes" on his FB page, sort of. He did something decent part of Finn audience might find at least mildly amusing. It is marketing. Very basic one, but still marking.

I personally think it is immature and silly, but hey. What do I know. I feel the same about good part of marketing efforts in general, anyway.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Theft is defined as taking without permission with the intent to deprive the rightful owner. There was no such intent, it was a crappy, thoughtless joke. Stop being so touchy.