Google+ for iOS gets photo editing, filters in update

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Google on Monday rolled out an update for the iOS version of its Google+ social networking app, introducing basic photo editing and Instagram-like filters, as well as a few other additions.

plus

The new version of Google+ for iOS brings the sort of "retro" filters popularized by competing social networking apps like Instagram. Users can also rotate and crop their photos before sharing them to their Google+ accounts.

The improved photo editing options are likely an outgrowth of Google's acquisition of Snapseed, an image editing application with iterations across both PC and mobile platforms.

The update also brings a new profile design, notifications tray, and the ability to control the volume of posts displayed in a user's stream from individual circles and communities. Users can also filter search results by the most relevant or most recent and send friends invitations to communities.

Version 4.3.0 of Google+ for iOS is available as a free download in the App Store. The 28.6MB download is compatible with iPhones, iPads, and iPods running iOS 5.1 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

The comments for this are as dead as Google+ is.

• Reply 2 of 11
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    evilution wrote: »
    The comments for this are as dead as Google+ is.
    Yeah right, but their gonna go and get rid of reader because they say nobody uses it. F google+ & google in general.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    kimk69 wrote: »
    Yeah right, but their gonna go and get rid of reader because they say nobody uses it. F google+ & google in general.

They're being reported as #2 in active users behind Facebook now: http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/01/26/watch-out-facebook-with-google-at-2-and-youtube-at-3-google-inc-could-catch-up/

I don't have much friends on Google+, but I do use it to follow some companies and organizations that I'm interested in, so I guess I can kinda believe those numbers.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Actually, lots of my friends use Google . Maybe it only took off outside of the US, or in the engineering community?

However, what's the bloody use of making a google-Instagram-clone? There's already Instagram being Instagram right?
    Or am I missing the point?
  • Reply 5 of 11

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

They're being reported as #2 in active users behind Facebook now: ttp://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/01/26/watch-out-facebook-with-google-at-2-and-youtube-at-3-google-inc-could-catch-up/

I don't have much friends on Google+, but I do use it to follow some companies and organizations that I'm interested in, so I guess I can kinda believe those numbers.

yeah i dont doubt the #'s at all i dont even know of any other company's that offer anything in that catagory. I think im just pist about the whole reader deal.

• Reply 6 of 11
    kimk69 wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't realize it was going to put my message in the middle of your post. My bad. Anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Photography is a hobby of mine, but I'll never understand why people want to alter their photos with these filters and layers. I always try to take the photo as I intend and want it to look. I crop, put the horizon back, sometimes a little vignetting, but not much else.
  • Reply 8 of 11

Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

yeah i dont doubt the #'s at all i dont even know of any other company's that offer anything in that catagory. I think im just pist about the whole reader deal.

I think the big message to take from that is that Google+ has more active users than twitter, and no one is complaining that twitter is a ghost Town.

Nobody is happy about Google reader. The verge had a article on alternatives, check it out if you're looking for a replacement: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDEQqQIwAA&url=http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/4119006/the-best-google-reader-alternatives&ei=265QUcjVM8yuigL5koDICg&usg=AFQjCNHdoZ25NZqoAGNIy1EPj3beLR4fOg&sig2=-NWQDCl273ifZU1XQyoQHg

• Reply 9 of 11
    ugh. you're not the only one having forum issues.

Double post; ignore
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Another useless google service that I would not use simply because you are there product.  They have been caught so many times circumventing privacy settings  for individual users to get there advertising data base to sell you as a commodity that I would not have anything to do with the "do no evil"  Two faced company they are.

• Reply 11 of 11
    Google is increasing day by day, and having huge response due its new photo editing features, I always use www.photoshoponlinefree.com for quick photo editing,