Google's push Gmail changes surprise new iPhone buyers, Apple store reps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post

Thankfully I use Yahoo email. And with the shuttering of Reader, Google just gave me the push I needed to disengage with their services other than search. I have some secondary email accounts on Gmail I'm in the process of shutting down and moving to other services that I trust more.

F*** Google and the horse they rode in on.

Here you go have at it.

http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=32046

• Reply 42 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Well I just set up my iCloud email account. No idea why I didn't do it earlier. I didn't realize how simple it would be AND that there is nice, clean archive support. One of the reasons why I liked Gmail was its clean archival system. Now I gotta start changing emails for a million different websites :|

Don't change the emails. Just have your gmail account forward to your icloud account. That's what I did when I got my @me address

• Reply 43 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Don't change the emails. Just have your gmail account forward to your icloud account. That's what I did when I got my @me address

If the change is because you don't trust Google due to reading your email, what makes you think they don't still read it before they pass it along?

• Reply 44 of 86
    r98266 wrote: »
    I just created a new Outlook account, forwarded my Gmail account to it, and then setup an alias in Outlook to send mail as if it were my gmail account.

I sign into my new Outlook account on my device and get my Gmail pushed to me, and no one knows I'm not using my Gmail account when I send mail.

Explain this in a little more detail.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    Oh... how does iCloud support email for domains? Do tell!

Other services... right... I'll get right on having IT switch our company from gmail to ...something else... so I can still get push mail on my iPhone. I'm sure they will be happy to oblige!

These things have a huge impact, and it is idiotic to think that there are trivial work-arounds. The problem isn't Apple, it is the core of what these "cloud" offerings really are-- a ploy at lock-in.

If your company is using a custom domain through Gmail, they are a PAID Google Apps subscriber most likely. In which case, if you read the article, push STILL works.

It is only being discontinued for unpaid accounts.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    serendip wrote: »
    Google is the new Microsoft

It's the 80s all over again.

Microsoft had their own OS but makes products for both Apple and PC. Slowly Microsoft stops supporting Apple. Eventually you have to use their OS.

Google maps.. gmail.. same stuff all over again. We support everyone!! We support our OS more.. we don't support yours anymore.

As bad a PR problem as Apple maps was it was Apple's best (and only) move. Google maps was generations behind the Android equivalent until Apple decided not to take it anymore.. then suddenly Google maps gets a 3 generation upgrade.

Don't be evil my ass...

Correction, Google is TRYING to be the we Microsoft of the 90's.

They have much less power.

These steps seem moronic; they need Apple more than Apple needs them; Google gets most of its mobile revenue from iOS. They overestimate their importance. People use Google because its easy and free. That's all.

If this is some attempt to prop up Android, it's stupid. How much money do they make from Android? They've already sunk $13B into the Android money pit. And now Android and Samsung, the two most popular platforms for Android have either forked Android or soon will.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    First Reader and now this. I feel like Google is breaking up with me.

• Reply 48 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegean View Post

I don't use gmail so it's totally irrelevant to me.

Please tell us more about other things which are irrelevant to you.

• Reply 49 of 86
    davendaven Posts: 696member

For me it means dropping Gmail.  There is nothing that differentiates Gmail from other services and now with the dropping of Exchange, there is a differentiation and it is negative with respect to Google. I didn't use it much anyway as I don't want some company read every message to target me for more advertisement.

• Reply 50 of 86
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Any company that does use Gmail is small enough for a switch not to matter. Any company large enough for a switch to matter is using something that is actually secure or has their own server for mail.

Uh, what you smokin'?  You are aware that the U.S. Government is pushing towards cloud computing to save money, and Gmail is FISMA certified?

BBVA bank - 112,000 users: http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2012/01/bbva-banks-on-google-apps.html

NOAA - 25,000 users: http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2012/01/noaa-moves-25000-to-google-apps.html

GSA - 17,000 users: http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2011/07/gsa-has-gone-google.html

Department of the Interior - 90,000 users: http://www.informationweek.com/government/cloud-saas/interior-department-chooses-gmail-over-m/232901270

• Reply 51 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The cost of "free" seems higher every day.

no  kidding...I have forward all my gmail to hotmail account.  Just wait until microsoft follows suit.

• Reply 52 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Correction, Google is TRYING to be the we Microsoft of the 90's.

They have much less power.

These steps seem moronic; they need Apple more than Apple needs them; Google gets most of its mobile revenue from iOS. They overestimate their importance. People use Google because its easy and free. That's all.

If this is some attempt to prop up Android, it's stupid. How much money do they make from Android? They've already sunk $13B into the Android money pit. And now Android and Samsung, the two most popular platforms for Android have either forked Android or soon will.

To a certain degree, I would agree with that.  email is a mass commodity and people wil go to the company that provide the free service.

• Reply 53 of 86
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    In my opinion, this will simply drive more Apple customers to use iCloud. In fact, I believe it is possible that Apple could have 300 million iCloud users within the next 90 days.

Apple Mail is already a reasonable email program and I suspect more features will be introduced this year.
  • Reply 54 of 86

Google is updating its look and its rule everyday. Don't know what it want.

• Reply 55 of 86
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Google stop push service in order to push people to.. um.. Samsung? Smart Google. :)

• Reply 56 of 86
    Do no evil? Open Source? It's all a lie! Google has lost its edge, they spend too much time copying Apple devices and then trying to steal Apple customers.

I'm disappointed with google, I'm going to abandon their products, petty service model doesn't sit well with me!

Grow up guys, you're alienating people who like both companies...
  • Reply 57 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Why anyone would rely on Gmail as their primary email provider I'll never understand.  There are so many better options out there.  Especially if you're using email for business.

I quite like Gmail's tags focussed design (rather than folders), excellent spam detection, efficient user interface, conversation view, minimally intrusive ads and (until now) native support for all my devices.

I'd be interested to know about any other free email services that provide a better experience.

• Reply 58 of 86
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    dunks wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">I quite like Gmail's tags focussed design (rather than folders), excellent spam detection, efficient user interface, conversation view, minimally intrusive ads and (until now) native support for all my devices.</span>

I'd be interested to know about any other free email services that provide a better experience.

Apple Mail
  • Reply 59 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Why anyone would rely on Gmail as their primary email provider I'll never understand.  There are so many better options out there.  Especially if you're using email for business.

Your statement is easy to say today, if someone was deciding which email service to start using. However I started with gmail many years ago and have too many contacts out there to change and lose a good number of contacts.

• Reply 60 of 86
    next google will be shutting off search!