Quicksilver Mac app launcher sees release after 10 years in beta

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
After almost ten years in beta, Quicksilver for OS X has hit version 1.0, bringing users a powerful application launcher and task manager that functions with keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures known as "triggers."

Quicksilver
Create new trigger dialogue. | Source: Quicksilver

The application, including the latest bug fixes and enhancements, was detailed in a post to Quicksilver's official blog.

Quicksilver's main draw is its ability to locate files and folders with abbreviated search terms, and launch the assets in the appropriate OS X applications. The app has a highly customizable feature set, including trigger actions that dictate how a file is handled or what application is used to open it, abbreviations called synonyms for fast library searching, and plug-ins, which offer compatibility with many OS X programs.

According to the post, additional features are on the way, as the new version 1.0 "means more than just a change in the version numbering system - it signifies a maturity of Quicksilver and a sign of what?s to come."

In an interview with lead developers Patrick Robertson and Rob McBroom, the pair said Quicksilver can be even more powerful with backing from the dev community, which can take advantage of AppleScript extensions to build new plugins.

"Quicksilver 1.0 doesn?t just mean stability, it means the whole package: localisations for all our users; easy to use APIs for plugin and AppleScript extension developers; and a reliable, responsive support system," Robertson said.

Quicksilver version 1.0 supports OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, and can be downloaded for free from the application's website. Donations are also accepted.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Ten. Years.

That is utterly absurd.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

"But but but but but only APPLE has products in beta for more than a year!"

• Reply 3 of 31
    Great App Quicksilver. I've been using it from the start.

Wow has it really been 10 years?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I loved this app.  It was really useful.  I just wonder how well it will work for me now.  Sad it took them so long to get their at together.

• Reply 5 of 31
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"But but but but but only APPLE has products in beta for more than a year!"

Yeah but.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Umm..yay? I guess?
  • Reply 7 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I hear version 1.1 will be released later this week to fix bugs...

/sarcasm

• Reply 8 of 31
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Beyond Spotlight, AppleScript and some global shortcuts I have created using Spark... I have not really found any use for all these "launchers", no matter if they are Quicksilver, Alfred, Otto, LaunchBar or whatever. And with respect to plugins and app integration: I have not really run into anything where grabbing the mouse or trackpad and making the needed clicks was slower than me remembering some key combinations or keywords/commands (something I, outside of applications I am using since ages, normally fail at).

But everybody is working differently I assume.

• Reply 9 of 31
    ken ngken ng Posts: 5member

But there's already Alfred which does it all (including a nice hack for text expansion with the latest version) :D

• Reply 10 of 31
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    2.0 is scheduled for 2023.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    They will adopt the broken chrome / firefox version scheme expect version 20.0 at the end of the month.
  • Reply 12 of 31

10 years in beta! must be a Google application. 

• Reply 13 of 31
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quicksilver is an absolute dream for a certain kind of very particular, pernickety, techie geek, which means that somewhere north of 99.9% of the public will never give a rat's behind about it or find it useful at all. Just sayin.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 15 of 31
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    macrulez wrote: »
    When we see a multimillion dollar celebrity ad campaign for Quicksilver your comment will begin to become relevant.

Why does the scent of banning surround you so?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 17 of 31

QS such a great app. It takes some time to set up but it simply eliminates some steps that we're used to on a computer. Scale a photo, simple calculations, moving files around, launching apps - all just a couple of keystrokes. That's not saying it's going to get mainstream interest but that's not the measure of how amazing an app is. Spotlight is fine and has gotten better over the years. I even tried Google Quick Search for a while but it's astonishing how slow it is.

Anyway, thanks for the news, AI. I've reinstalled it. Just another rabid fan.

• Reply 18 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macrulez wrote: »
    And yet here I am.

I think TS has a better sense of humor than most of the regulars.

Am I a regular? I find you hilarious.

But not in any way that you intend.
  • Reply 19 of 31

I don't see how anyone that didn't contribute code to this project can complain about the length of the "beta" period. After all, the product is free, unlike most of the alternatives mentioned. Presumably all of the development is being done in someone's spare time. In any case, beta or not, Quicksilver has worked great for several years (after it was more or less abandoned by the original developer), and these developers are to be commended for all of the effort they've put into this product. Note: I have no affiliation with Quicksilver other than being a thankful user.

• Reply 20 of 31
    question: I moved from Quicksilver to Alfred - what exactly am I missing by sticking with Alfred?