Apple's iPhone 5 debuts on T-Mobile April 12 with $99 upfront payment plan

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Nobody's excited about HD Voice? :D

• Reply 22 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Collins View Post

Total rip off. So I am supposed to pay for the phone separately and they are still going to charge me almost exactly as much as AT&T does for unlimited data? Now I do know that AT&T 'unlimited' data isn't really unlimited any more, but I expect that T-Mobile's definition of 'unlimited' is a lot closer to AT&T's definition of 'unlimited' than everyone else's definition of unlimited. For this to be a good deal the unlimited plan needs to be about $50 per month and the 500GB plan about $30 a month.

TROLL TROLL TROLL. Absolute BS you're spewing!

• Reply 23 of 103
    The iPhone 5s might be relevant because you are getting the phone at a present value that is lower than current market value, which might indicate that a new iPhone is coming sooner rather than later. That's why he asked.

I'm not so sure of that, because if you look at the math on the unlimited plan the price versus value isn't so clear anymore. I'll comment more on that later.
  • Reply 24 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

There are still some questions.  Are all iPhone 5 models (16, 32, 64) going to be subject to the 20 bucks a month?  What happens if you want to cancel your service after 3 months......would there be an ETF (which means there is a contract of sorts)?  Would T-Mobile just eat the cost of the iPhone you just bought?  

Nope, you'd just be billed for remainder of the 0% "loan" for the phone. No ETF. This was stated last fall with the announcement.

Edit: As to the first part, they said today that for the most expensive phones would be $20 a month, if you head to their site now you can see that most phones are like $12-$18 a month... depending on cost of phone. So it could look like for the 3 models $14,$17,$20.

• Reply 25 of 103
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Total rip off. So I am supposed to pay for the phone separately and they are still going to charge me almost exactly as much as AT&T does for unlimited data? Now I do know that AT&T 'unlimited' data isn't really unlimited any more, but I expect that T-Mobile's definition of 'unlimited' is a lot closer to AT&T's definition of 'unlimited' than everyone else's definition of unlimited. For this to be a good deal the unlimited plan needs to be about $50 per month and the 500GB plan about $30 a month.

Come here often??  Oh, this was your first post and you went stright into the ______ !!!!

Sit back and relax awhile then try again.

• Reply 26 of 103
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    LTE in only 7 cities! Feels like 2010 all over again.
  • Reply 27 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

Nope, you'd just be billed for remainder of the 0% "loan" for the phone. No ETF. This was stated last fall with the announcement.

Edit: As to the first part, they said today that for the most expensive phones would be $20 a month, if you head to their site now you can see that most phones are like $12-$18 a month... depending on cost of phone. So it could look like for the 3 models $14,$17,$20.

So you're being billed for the remainder of the balance of the phone.  So there is a fee to leave their service.    

• Reply 28 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

TROLL TROLL TROLL. 

Well, no. I certainly wouldn't say so just yet.

Absolute BS you're spewing!

But there's a great deal of FUD there, borne of not understanding how this whole thing works; you're right.

• Reply 29 of 103

Quote:

T-Mobile is massively cheaper. They do not offer any phone subsidies. It's all no-contract pay as you go plans. You pay for the phone separate from the plan. This way just makes the $499 price of the iPhone seem more reasonable. Just went online and set up a T-Mobile individual plan and an ATT individual plan.

T-Mobile: Unlimited minutes, texting, data for $70 a month + $20 for the phone = $90 a month for the first 20 months. 2 Year cost with iPhone 5 16GB = $2179 

ATT: Unlimited minutes and texting, 5GB of data for $139.99 per month. 2 Year total cost with iPhone 5 16GB = $3558.76

You can't compare your old unavailable plan with current offerings. T-Mobile wins for price by a lot.

• Reply 30 of 103
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

You might be nuts. For $60 a month you get unlimited everything on T-Mobile including the ability to use the phone as a hotspot. The data slows from 4G to 2G after 2GBs.

On T-Mobile you are getting a $650 iPhone for $500 payable at $99 down and $20 a month until paid off. So the total bill runs $80 a month at least until the phone is paid off.

A comparable plan on AT&T costs $130 a month, lacks unlimited data, lacks the hotspot, requires a $199 down payment on the same phone, and the price never adjusts when phone is paid off.

This is a very good deal. I am cheap and have compared everything. Although I have used AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon I have been with T-Mobile two years. In Michigan coverage is great except up north where T-Mobile rides on AT&T.
  • Reply 31 of 103
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

AT&T doesn't offer unlimited data anymore.
  • Reply 32 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So you're being billed for the remainder of the balance of the phone.  So there is a fee to leave their service.    

Well yeah, you bought a phone. You have to remember, most things you know about how cell contracts work are being thrown out. YOU bought the phone full price. TMo lent you the money at 0% and all they're asking for is to pay it off over 24 months (more than likely $10-20) extra depending on price. When you want to leave they say, "Hey Ghost, thanks for being with us and sad to see you go, but remember the money we spotted you to buy the full priced phone?? Since we won't see you again, we'd like that money back now." That's not a fee, that's simply paying your friend back who spotted you the money.

• Reply 33 of 103
    solipsismx wrote: »

They have HSPA+ in a lot more areas.
  • Reply 34 of 103
    drewyboy wrote: »
    Well yeah, you bought a phone. You have to remember, most things you know about how cell contracts work are being thrown out. YOU bought the phone full price. TMo lent you the money at 0% and all they're asking for is to pay it off over 24 months (more than likely $10-20) extra depending on price. When you want to leave they say, "Hey Ghost, thanks for being with us and sad to see you go, but remember the money we spotted you to buy the full priced phone?? Since we won't see you again, we'd like that money back now." That's not a fee, that's simply paying your friend back who spotted you the money.

Exactly. I think the interesting thing is that T-Mobile is giving you the phone at close to wholesale price. In other words, T-Mobile is seemingly passing it's purchasing rates on to you.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

No. You must simply finish paying for the smartphone you purchased.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    starbird73 wrote: »
    Yup. You keep your phone longer you save $20/month.

But after 20 months one is going to want to upgrade their iPhone so onto another payment plan they'll go.
  • Reply 37 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yup. And I've found it has always exceeded my Verizon LTE speeds in NYC. It's great. I can't wait to jump ship on Verizon. I would guess that because few people use T-Mobile and so many use Verizon that the congestion of NYC towers favor T-Mobile.

• Reply 38 of 103
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Nobody's excited about HD Voice? :D

LTE
    HSPA+ failback
    Visual Voicemail
    VoLTE

I am. Bye, AT&T (as soon as my contract is finished).
  • Reply 39 of 103

Quote:

SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Solip, they said they're are only claiming LTE coverage in a city if the WHOLE city is covered so there isn't any false advertisement unlike other carriers. So when they say it, they mean it. And as TBell has pointed out, the HSPA+ is all over the place with pretty stink'n fast speed.

• Reply 40 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But after 20 months one is going to want to upgrade their iPhone so onto another payment plan they'll go.

And it's still cheaper than ATT but you don't have to be on a locked in contract and pay an activation fee for your new phone.

Buy your phone on Amazon and you can have a new one every year and actually be saving money.