Printing to Hewlett Packard in OS X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Are HP's printer drivers for OS X just completely useless or something?

On the network printers on campus, I can print once, then if I try to print to that printer again, nothing happens.

what is up with that?

Any solution?

Also, is there a utility or a config file (command line is ok) where printer settings can be changed?

for example, a way to set things like bi-directional support, spool data format, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    It's always good to have drivers. Sometimes they come with apps that have config your printer. About printing twice to the same printer, kinda weird I think. If there is another computer that you can print twice to the same printer make sure the settings on both computers are the same. Make sure nothing is different.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Well, the ones that print properly (ie, you can do it more than once) they are all Windows machines.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Yeah, I'm getting that too.

For some reason it'll print one document but not another one.

I was wondering if it was the document but realized it was either the driver or OSX.

I've got a 4MP and running it through an ethernet hub. That shouldn't be the cause of the problem. Hopefully Jaguar will eliminate the majority of printing headaches.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    I would suggest that you download the latest driver for the particular printer from the HP web site.

An updated driver might solve your problem. I had problems using the native driver in 10.1.5 but then updated driver from HP solved the problems.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I'll try that again and see if it helps.

Somebody suggested that the driver (or OS) was not sending a form feed instruction to the printer and that was the problem.

These are network printers with a Uniprint print server and windows computers serving as queues.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    OS 10.2 will bring support for CUPS printing, so, yes, probably you can the print more than once.