Rumor: Amazon smartphone to sport 4.7-inch display, launch this year

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Amazon is allegedly working on its own smartphone, which could launch as soon as the second quarter of2013 with a 4.7-inch display.

The details were reported this week by the much maligned publication DigiTimes, which is known for having a questionable track record on rumors of upcoming products, but does occasionally gather accurate information from the tech supply chain. The latest report claims that Amazon originally eyed a 4.3-inch display for its smartphone, but recent trends in the industry to go bigger have led it to choose a 4.7-inch screen.

kindlefire
Amazon's Kindle Fire HD tablet debuted late last year. This year, the company is rumored to launch a smartphone.

According to the report, the handset is expected to be released in the second quarter of 2013, but that may also change. Earlier this month, cnBeta.com reported that Amazon's alleged handset launch was internally postponed due to apparent supply issues.

Development of Amazon's rumored handset reportedly remains fluid, and the retailer is said to be "working on or enhancing other specifications" of the device. It's been said that Foxconn, Apple's longtime manufacturing partner, will be handling assembly duties for Amazon.

Rumors of an Amazon smartphone first began to appear in late 2011, suggesting the retailer wishes to compete with Apple's iPhone and devices running Google's Android platform. The company already offers its touchscreen Kindle Fire tablets, which are sold at low margins to drive digital content sales, and which run a unique forked version of Android.

Market watchers expect Amazon to take a similar approach with a smartphone, selling the hardware essentially at cost in hopes of tying users into its Kindle ecosystem for books, movies, TV shows, applications and other digital content.

For that reason, it's expected that an Amazon phone would compete with low-end Android smartphone makers, rather than Apple's iPhone, which is generally directed at the high end of the market. However, Apple is also rumored to be working on a new, less expensive low-end iPhone that could be sold without a contract in developing countries like China and Brazil.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    This device seems pretty likely to me.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    In America, any one can make a smartphone!
    PizzaHut making a smart phone. Innovative design - Disc shaped design. Just to carry the feeling that customers are holding pizza. Pizzahut is calling it PizzaFone.

Customer: What can I do with the disc shaped phone?
    PizzaHut: You can order pizzas and many more!

Customer: Can I read books on that like Kindle?
    PizzaHut: Yes.

Customer: Can I play games?
    PizzaHut: Yes!

Customer: Does it run Android?
    PizzaHut: Ooo Yes!

Customer: F**k off!
    PizzaHut; Dont stop coming to PizzaHut. I am a delicious Pizzaaaa
  • Reply 3 of 75
    tzterritzterri Posts: 110member
    Someone should make a phone that you can talk on instead of having to type messages to each other.
  • Reply 4 of 75

Does anyone know if the Google apps are available on the Amazon Android App Store? If not, I wonder if Google will submit them. Otherwise, Amazon will need their own mapping solution to try to compete?

I can potentially see why Amazon would want to try this, but not sure why consumers would buy into it.

EDIT: Did a quick search for Google Maps and did not see an official app from Google on the Amazon Appstore for Android.

• Reply 5 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Does anyone know if the Google apps are available on the Amazon Android App Store? If not, I wonder if Google will submit them. Otherwise, Amazon will need their own mapping solution to try to compete?

I can potentially see why Amazon would want to try this, but not sure why consumers would buy into it.

EDIT: Did a quick search for Google Maps and did not see an official app from Google on the Amazon Appstore for Android.

I believe Kindle runs on Android. Can't they access PlayStore? I dont know.

• Reply 6 of 75
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i'm gonna hold out for the pets.com phone ...

[SIZE=2]well, i was going to initially write that i was holding out for a webvan phone ... but they're "part of the amazon family". sigh.[/SIZE]
  • Reply 7 of 75

Quote:

i'm gonna hold out for the pets.com phone ...

well, i was going to initially write that i was holding out for a webvan phone ... but they're "part of the amazon family". sigh.

Pets.com phone? :D Ha ha image image

• Reply 8 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

I believe Kindle runs on Android. Can't they access PlayStore? I dont know.

Looks like you can hack it to side load apps from Google Play. Not sure how many non-techies would do this. Again, what would be the advantage for consumers to get this and have to hack it to get to Google Play vs just buying a real Android phone?

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets/how-to-get-the-google-play-store-on-the-kindle-fire-hd-50010454/

• Reply 9 of 75
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

PizzaHut making a smart phone. Innovative design - Disc shaped design. Just to carry the feeling that customers are holding pizza. Pizzahut is calling it PizzaFone.

Sounds like a PizzaShitimage

• Reply 10 of 75

Yes that's right, Google apps like Gmail etc are not available on the Amazon Appstore. Kindle Fire users would have to access that stuff using the web browser.

Tech savvy users can install the Google apps on their own of course but I doubt your average user would.

• Reply 11 of 75
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

I like Amazon- a lot. I'm a pretty loyal customer to the brand- but this is a bad idea.

• Reply 12 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Sounds like a PizzaShitimage

Then, my job is done. It should sound like shit.

• Reply 13 of 75
    Yep, hit and miss with DT.
    Though they do help us understand the inside knowledge behind our tech.

Obviously, this will be the biggest thing to happen to the phone market for many a year, especially so in the US where competition is far more stifled.
  • Reply 14 of 75

I'm sure Amazon would love for people to pay for their advertising and data mining conduit disguised as a phone. Next up, Facebook makes a smart phone. You can trust Facebook with your information, because Facebook is all about privacy.

• Reply 15 of 75
    ifij775 wrote: »
    This device seems pretty likely to me.

Despite the DigiTimes source, I also think its not beyond Amazon to try this. They've already dipped their toe into overseas consumer electronics manufacturing with the Kindles. This seems like a logical next step, because they want to build out their content delivery business. Unlike Google, whose focus seems to be "all information, freely available on the web and copyrights be damned," Amazon wants a device/content ecosystem much like Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    andysol wrote: »
    I like Amazon- a lot. I'm a pretty loyal customer to the brand- but this is a bad idea.

Why is this a bad idea?

Amazon Kindle has been successful if not profitable.
  • Reply 17 of 75
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    The new Amazon smartphone with 4.7" screen also comes with a free set of training wheels for those who have trouble holding the hulking handset without assistance. Add-ons for a pop-up toaster and portable air freshener are rumored to be coming soon!
  • Reply 18 of 75
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member

Yawn....who cares. Amazon should stick with being an app....forget the hardware. They're loosing their a$$ on hardware profit margins anyway.

• Reply 19 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    chandra69 wrote: »

Are you aware of this….

• Reply 20 of 75
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why is this a bad idea?

Amazon Kindle has been successful if not profitable.

How do you know? I'm sure the Kindle is selling well but Amazon doesn't release numbers.

I don't think a smart phone fits in its business model. The kindle, I can see, is a inexpensive reader. What is the killer feature on a Amazon phone? The kindle app is already on iOS and android.