Gmail for iOS update brings new interface features to iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
On Wednesday, Google released an update for its Gmail app for Apple's iPhone and iPad, adding new interface actions to bring the app closer to feature parity with its Android counterpart.

gmail

Google detailed the update's new control options in a post to the Official Gmail Blog. App users can now navigate between conversations by swiping left or right on the message body. Messages are marked as read as soon as they are viewed.

Version 2.1 also brings the ability to take action on multiple messages at the same time. Selecting a message in the inbox now enables an editing option. Once in editing mode, users can tap on messages to select them and then choose to archive, delete, or take other actions.

The newest version of the iOS Gmail app is now available as a free download in the App Store. The 16.4MB download requires an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad running iOS 5.0 or higher.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    No thanks. Not a big fan of Google. Will stick with Apple Mail. Mainly for the Apple integration and eco-system! :)
  • Reply 2 of 16
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Keep the App with you! I am off from Google.  

P.S.: App is not so good. FYI.

• Reply 3 of 16
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Sure the gmail app doesn't cost any money. But it will cost your soul...
  • Reply 4 of 16

Ah nice - will give it a spin tonight.  Wasn't too enamored with the old version, but the Apple mail app is beyond awful.  Hopefully this'll be an improvement.  ::fingers crossed::

• Reply 5 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Ah nice - will give it a spin tonight.  Wasn't too enamored with the old version, but the Apple mail app is beyond awful.  Hopefully this'll be an improvement.  ::fingers crossed::

From where Apple Maps came into discussion?  Everyone got this App to point a finger at Apple. :D

• Reply 6 of 16
    yvvvyvvv Posts: 18member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

From where Apple Maps came into discussion?  Everyone got this App to point a finger at Apple. :D

I may ask you this question, as Freshmaker said "Apple mail app".

• Reply 7 of 16
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Needs group addressing.
  • Reply 8 of 16

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

I may ask you this question, as Freshmaker said "Apple mail app".

My reply is for him only dude.

• Reply 9 of 16
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    What about a fucking way to hide/swipe away the message list on the iPad? I'm just completely stunned it's missing this major option which really destroys readability and useability for me, which makes message content and text TINY on the iPad mini, especially in portrait mode. The message only gets like 1/3 of the screen, with absolutely no way to enlarge it. This makes reading email a pain in the ass, especially because of the iPad minis lower resolution and smaller size. It's literally the only reason I don't use the app, because messages in the default mail app are so, so much more readable and I don't need to squint to see the damn content because the inbox list cannot be hidden.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    My reply is for him only dude.

Then don't post in a public forum. There are private messages, IMs, phone calls, video calls, email, snail mail, and other ways you can have a personal conversation where you won't feel affronted if a member of a public forum comments on a public message.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

From Google? No thanks.

• Reply 12 of 16
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

"Version 2.1 also brings the ability to take action on multiple messages at the same time."

It's hard to believe any mail app could be released without this basic feature. Oh well, better late than never.

• Reply 13 of 16
    The Gmail App interface is a joke. The sidebar is far too wide, so makes it uncomfortable to read mail on (iPad Mini)

Furthermore the text rendered in the actual messaged is pixelated - this is the biggest joke.

Apple's Mail App, isn't the best App in the world, but at least you can read your message without pixelation, and at least you can see your message, without having to scroll every 2 words.

For as mighty and great as Google is - their attention to detail is embarrassing.
  • Reply 14 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

"Version 2.1 also brings the ability to take action on multiple messages at the same time."

It's hard to believe any mail app could be released without this basic feature. Oh well, better late than never.

You could take actions on multiple messages before this release. But you had to hit the checkbox beside each and every message (which is a pretty small target). In this version, once you select the checkbox for one message, you can then just tap anywhere in other messages to select them. That's what they're talking about.

• Reply 15 of 16
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by werdnanotroh View Post

The Gmail App interface is a joke. The sidebar is far too wide, so makes it uncomfortable to read mail on (iPad Mini)

Furthermore the text rendered in the actual messaged is pixelated - this is the biggest joke.

Apple's Mail App, isn't the best App in the world, but at least you can read your message without pixelation, and at least you can see your message, without having to scroll every 2 words.

For as mighty and great as Google is - their attention to detail is embarrassing.

Yup. Being forced to read your email messages in a tiny box that is a mere fraction of the size of the iPads screen is a fucking joke. Using it on the iPad mini is like reading it on the phone but with shittier resolution, with tiny as **** text. With all the genius at Google working on this app, not one person could suggest the brilliant idea of hiding the sidebar? For me that would be at the very top of the basic useability list. Maybe they'll implement this "feature" in version 4.5, just like it took them many years to enable text wrapping in the Android gmail app and actually make it useable, something Apple's mail app had on Day 1 in 2007. 

• Reply 16 of 16
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    With customers demanding faster and higher data throughput and less voice calling, how typical of cell phone companies to focus on offering unlimited voice plans and now shifting voice to LTE. And then they whine about how they need to raise pries and cap data because they simply lack the bandwidth to support demand.