Chinese company sues Apple for patent infringement with Siri

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    spanading wrote: »
    OK. If this is the case then the original violation was by Nuance who Apple bought to get Siri. However the video posted as the link was put up on 2012. Also if iOS violates the patent then so does Androids S-voice technology. Also if push came to shove the whole idea has been done as a open-source project anyway (or at least the basic idea, if I have understood the link correctly)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmusphinx/

I think the reason that they waited was for someone as big as Apple to integrate something that looks as though they have violated it and then put it though the Chinese courts who are not known for recognising western pattent laws. Further as pattens are partitioned into regions then the Chinese company will have to show they took out patents and kept them valid in the all the regions that they are staking a claim in.

To be honest I am getting quite fed up with the world and his wife trying the 'me too' or 'me first' approach.

Innovate DON'T Imitate!

According to Wikipedia, Siri is a spin-out from the SRI International Artificial Intelligence Center, and is an offshoot of the DARPA-funded CALO project.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 23 of 36
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I won't be at all surprised to see Chinese companies start lining up to sue Apple over IP infringement or other business claims. The Chinese government has sent signals that Apple is fair game and companies bringing suit will likely have their official approval to do so.

It almost seems like something in the China/Apple relationship has changed in the past few months. Personally I think it's China playing hardball with Apple. If they want to do business there it will be on Chinese terms including access to communications using iDevices. I think that's pretty much what they wanted from Google isn't it?

I think you are right - there has been a definite change in tone from China. Nothing happens there without implicit or explicit consent from the party. The recent 8.20 posting story was an unusual misstep for them.

Personally I don't know why the sudden chill - surely it couldn't be the recent PLA hacking scandal that was all over the news a couple of weeks back? Maybe they are trying to make some sort of an example of the biggest tech company in the world - certainly a symbol of the American Hegemony if anything else.

I would have thought everything would have been all matey at least until the last major Chinese telco has inked a deal.

Who knows with these things.... Joe Public is usually the last to find out in any case.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Since the lawsuit seems bogus, but Apple could lose in the Chinese courts anyway, they should simply threaten to stop manufacturing in China and that they'll move manufacturing to India or Vietnam instead. China is not going to want to lose those jobs, even if they are low paying and awful.

Unless, they could pay this company off for relatively very small amounts of money.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    i wonder what this software looked like back in 2006 before the iphone came out. I bet they updated it recently to make it look and operate more like siri in order to fool people into buying some cheap knock off. And probably to help strengthen their case. Can't trust any information coming out of china these days.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    I find it both contemptible and laughable that ANY Chinese company sue ANYONE for IP infringement, considering China is arguably the most IP infringing country in the world and that Chinese infringers are generally protected by the government - unless the infringer has angered some government official.

Perhaps if more companies got aggressive with Chinese companies doing business in the west who have infringed on western IP (like, say, Huawei) the Chinese government would start to begin to value IP and would enforce it with some real jurisprudence - or what passes for it in China, anyway.

Regardless, until western companies learn that they are mere puppets to the Chinese government and are simply tolerated until their usefulness has been exhausted, there will continue to be stories of such (what we in the west see as) abuses of power. There are only artificial market conditions in China that are allowed to exist at the pleasure of the party, until such time as a party owned company decides it has an interest in a market space in which a western company competes. Once that occurs the government brings the full weight of its displeasure to either crush, or drive the company out of China.

For anyone that doesn't think we're already at war with China - via the battlefield of economics, markets, and resources - you haven't read your Sun Tzu. Until western (and Japanese) companies understand that fact they will continue to be surprised when they are targeted and victimized by the Chinese government. Any high-tech company doing business in China should recognize, and prepare for, such an eventuality. To do otherwise is pollyanna-ish.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    That sounds bizarre, and I'm not really believing too much in the chinese claim here. But then again, I might be wrong.
    Let's see Apple's move.
  • Reply 28 of 36

deleted

• Reply 29 of 36
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Where's the story? Please show or tell us something.

What are the patent claims?

What has been infringed?

etc.?

Otherwise it's like saying "A company wants Apple to give them some of their big pile of money." (which isn't anything new.)

• Reply 30 of 36
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Do you really think Apple and Zhi Zhen Network Technology both came up with the microphone with circling purple neon high-lights?

Zhi Zhen Network Technology might have some voice/interaction tech and some valid patents but those were not demonstrated here.  The UI demonstrated was a 100% rip off of SIRI.

:S where you talking to me? from my 'seems legit' comment, did you deduce that i thought that apple & random company there invented the microphone icon & the colour purple?.

Google 'seems legit' its used a lot in memes, its sarcasm (sar·casm  /?sär?kaz?m/Noun The use of irony to mock or convey contempt. Synonyms: irony)

As in 'this lawsuit seems dodgy'. 

• Reply 31 of 36
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    zozman wrote: »
    :S where you talking to me? from my 'seems legit' comment, did you deduce that i thought that apple & random company there invented the microphone icon & the colour purple?.

Google 'seems legit' its used a lot in memes, its sarcasm (sar·casm  /?sär?kaz?m/Noun The use of irony to mock or convey contempt. Synonyms: irony)
    As in 'this lawsuit seems dodgy'. 

Probably confused with the Z's in your name.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    This is China holding foreign companies ransom. This has happened in the past e.g. Google/Yahoo search. They are basically banking on the leverage of 1) There are billions of potential users in China if you want to do business, far greater than your home market and 2) Your product is made in China.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    No doubt this is one of many reasons Apple & others are moving production away from China, they've been increasing their bully tactics as of late. Really it shouldn't be any surprise. The Chinese government has been putting captialist lipstic on their dictatorship for years just waiting for all these sucker companies to get roped in, now they've got them all where they want them. It's one of many reasons it's a joke that China & other dictatorships are allowed to participate in the United Nations, these dictators only care about staying in power and they'll use any means necessary.
  • Reply 34 of 36

DARPA???? Wasn't that something in the ABC show "Lost:" or something. Anyway, sick ole dog, sick 'em.

On a serious note, everyone lighten up Pope Francis. The Chinese do capitalism better than we do. Apple will be o.k.

• Reply 35 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

So everyone who lives in a city with a crime rate is a criminal?  Interesting perspective.

Yeah...because THAT'S a valid analogy...  </specious_&_stupid_troll_attempt_to_analogize>

• Reply 36 of 36

deleted