Rumor: Apple to cut iPad mini shipments by up to 20% in Q2, may signal next-gen model

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new rumor out of the Far East on Wednesday claims Apple has cut shipments of the iPad mini by between 10 to 12 million units going into the second quarter, suggesting the company could already ramping down for a next-generation version.

iPad mini

According to multiple DigiTimes sources, who provide the publication with supply chain information related to various components of Apple's 7.9-inch tablet, the shipment cut could peak at 20 percent in April and continue throughout the second quarter.

If the numbers are correct, the decrease may bring total iPad mini shipments to as low as 10 million units for the three month period ending in June.

No specifics were given as to the reasoning behind the drawdown, but the publication claims Apple is adjusting channel reserves for a next-generation model expected to be unveiled in the third quarter. The sources speculate the cut is due to heightened competition from rival 7-inch form factor tablets running Google's Android operating system.

Market research firm NPD noted in February that Apple is likely to ship 55 million iPad minis and 33 million iPads in 2013, a significant change from Cupertino's December expectations of 40 million and 60 million units, respectively.

It was reported earlier in March that Apple was making preparations for a third-quarter launch of the second-generation iPad mini, which will supposedly boast an upgraded Retina display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    No more DigiTimes articles please.
  • Reply 2 of 25

But there are multiple sources this time... it must be true!

• Reply 3 of 25
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i heard a rumor that digitimes' parent company was going bankrupt and would be ceasing all operations by next tuesday ... sad.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Apple is doomed (beat TS)
  • Reply 5 of 25
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

My logic would indicate that they might be cutting the models that aren't selling as well as another.  They have two color choices, 3 different memory choices, and 2 different choices for WIFI or CellularWIFI.  That's a total of 12 different models to choose from.  I can understand that out of the 12, there might be some that sell better than other models.

The other thing is that Apple did something similar when they announced the iPad 3 (4th gen) with the iPad 2, they slimmed down the offerings to the most popular models 32GB. So, it wouldn't surprise me if they are coming out with a new model and just slimming down the models to be offered for next quarter.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't made any product announcements this quarter.   Usually they make at least one product announcement.

• Reply 6 of 25
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

In my opinion, any story where Digitimes is mentioned as the source is not even worthy of being printed on a cheap, one-ply roll of toilet paper, not to mention being repeatedly quoted by an Apple centric site, given Digitimes' well known lack of accuracy and completely bogus predictions in the past.

Digitimes is more often wrong than not, so why in the world would anybody even bother to report what they claim? If you knew that somebody was a complete lunatic and a serial liar, would you use them as a source over and over again?

But the thing is, Digitimes isn’t just wrong some of the time. When it comes to the big Apple stories, it’s wrong most of the time. Sometimes wildly so. It’s reported that its sources had said that Apple was going to release MacBooks with AMD processors, iMacs with touch screens, iPhones with built-in projectors and iPads with OLED displays. Those products, and others mentioned in Digitimes articles, never showed up.

Fact-Checking Digitimes, the Taiwanese Apple Rumor Source That Keeps Crying ‘Wolf!’

http://techland.time.com/2012/05/14/digitimes-apple-rumors/

• Reply 7 of 25
    There may be a processor upgrade soon but don't expect retina.

1) retina iPad Mini is too costly to make right now with manufacturing LCD yields.

2) I would guess that non retina iPad mini is outselling all tablets in the same price range combined. There is no pressure to put retina in the iPad mini yet when most tablets lower priced than the mini have 1200x800 or whatever resolution.

How many people are buying the Nexus 10? Not 10 million plus a quarter.

Android users are price conscious, the majority won't pay for a high rez screen like the Nexus 10. Same reason for the lack of android tablet apps, lack of standards and unwillingness to pay.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Makes sense, regardless of where it came from. I almost picked up a Mini, but decided to wait until an upgraded model with a better CPU/GPU is released, as anything graphic intensive just makes the current model chug.

• Reply 9 of 25
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Makes sense, regardless of where it came from. I almost picked up a Mini, but decided to wait until an upgraded model with a better CPU/GPU is released, as anything graphic intensive just makes the current model chug.

I call BS. Faster cpu than 4s pushing less pixel. Mini is lag free.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    You had me until "rumor." More FUD from Digitimes.
  • Reply 11 of 25

Well, there goes the stock in the dump again...  The mini is a failure, it's not selling.  The Android tablets are gaining ground, Apple is doomed.  LOL!!! image

• Reply 12 of 25
    just_me wrote: »
    I call BS. Faster cpu than 4s pushing less pixel. Mini is lag free.

Maybe lag isn't the right word - but it certainly doesnt compare with Apple's other 2012 products. I would put its performance on par with the iPad 2.

You can feel the difference in Maps, GarageBand, Safari (esp. multiple tabs). I love the Mini's form factor - just holding off til there's a Retina, A6 and 1 GB RAM.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Jony Ive's reaction every time a DigiTimes story is posted on AI:

• Reply 14 of 25
    Obviously, with any falling sales they will reduce the Mini price whilst at the same time introducing a more resolution friendly model.
  • Reply 15 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Obviously, with any falling sales they will reduce the Mini price whilst at the same time introducing a more resolution friendly model.

Where are the falling sales?

• Reply 16 of 25
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Didn't Apple finally just get production up to meet demand, just several weeks ago?

• Reply 17 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Jony Ive's reaction every time a DigiTimes story is posted on AI:

That photo was taken at Apple's test lab.

• Reply 18 of 25
    jpvnjpvn Posts: 40member
    saw yesterday a cnbc clip with this woman talking to the back side of a foxx com worker.
    He says that they don't have any orders and aren't doing anything.

cnbc ran that clip 5 times during the trading hr's? But when something positive comes out like now T Mobil is selling the iPhone it doesn't get mentioned at all?

Sometimes i think everyone at cnbc has there hands in the cookie jar and manipulate the market.
  • Reply 19 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That photo was taken at Apple's test lab.

So that's why nobody is allowed in there. image

• Reply 20 of 25
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

A fully expected Apple news item.

Why bother posting this non news item, before it is a fact?

I'm wondering why I'm even commenting on it?  image