Citrix details Apple's iOS, iWork lead in enterprise adoption

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
A report by Citrix notes that Apple's iOS is not only the leading mobile platform globally, but is also experiencing the most growth in device enrollment, outpacing Windows Mobile and Android. Apple's Numbers and Pages were also cited at top productivity apps among enterprise users.

Citrix mobile platforms

Citrix's numbers (PDF) reflect similar figures reported by Good Technology, although Citrix breaks down its global numbers by region and industry, and also highlights interesting data on the mobile apps being used in the enterprise.

Overall, Citrix states Apple accounts for 58 percent of the mobile devices it sees among its enterprise users. That's smaller than Good's 77 percent of activations for iOS in its mobile management tools.

Compared to Good, Citrix's user base tilts more toward Windows shops; the company's core product, Citrix Receiver, provides secure access to Windows desktops, apps and data. This makes it all the more surprising that, even among Citrix's group of Microsoft-aligned customers, Microsoft's own mobile platform has such little representation.

Citrix Receiver for iPhone OS

Android brings mobile malware to the enterprise

Citrix called particular attention to a unique aspect associated with "increased Android usage," specifically "the increase in mobile malware that the industry saw over the past year."

The firm cited figures from McAfee that detail that "unique malware samples detected in reputation systems" have risen to 40,000 for mobile devices in 2012, compared to the 50,000 to 100,000 sample afflicting desktop systems on a daily basis.

However, mobile malware is almost entirely a unique feature of Google's Android platform; McAfee stated that 97 percent of the mobile malware it discovered was "Android-based."

Enterprise share by region

The Citrix report notes that iOS's 43 percent penetration of Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) is Apple's weakest territory, while in North America Apple has a 62 percent share and a 75 percent share of the Asia Pacific, Japan region.

North America represents a lion's share of the mobile device market, with 71 percent of Citrix's enrollments. The firm stated that for this region, iOS gained share "largely at the expense of Android."

EMEA represents 27 percent of all enrollments, and in that region Microsoft grew slightly while Apple's iOS lost 13 percentage points and Android gained 11. Asia accounts for only 2 percent of Citrix's enrollments, but in that region Android gave up 7 percentage points while Apple gained 7.

Overall, Android's global enterprise market share observed by Citrix fell by 2 percentage points, while Apple gained 2 points. Citrix reported no change in share for Microsoft among mobile devices.

Microsoft stagnant in mobile

Microsoft recently noted that IDC credited Windows Phone partners as having shipped more devices "than iPhone" in seven countries.

Nick Wingfield of the New York Times investigated, finding that those seven countries were Argentina, India, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Ukraine and "other central and eastern Europe," a region including Croatia. Wingfield noted that IDC only tracks official sales numbers, ignoring the "very significant gray market."

Just four years ago, Microsoft surpassed Apple in every country. One remaining stronghold for Windows is in the oil and gas industry, which Citrix noted as the only major segment dominated by that platform.

Apple leads in customer facing industries, Android among field service

Citrix mobile platforms by industry

Citrix called iOS the preferred platform for "industries in which mobile users engage customers one-on-one, such as retail and restaurants," while Android was preferred among "mobile field service organizations such as transportation and utilities."

The top industry for Android was communications services, while Citrix reported the platform saw "significant increase" in adoption among non-profits, education and communications. Citrix also credited Android for leading its healthcare adoption numbers, noting that "whereas anecdotally we see high iOS adoption in traditional hospital settings," the wireless mobility deployments it observed related to "mobile healthcare organizations such as home healthcare groups, and for them, Android has been the platform of choice since we've been measuring industry adoption."

The firm also noted that Apple's iOS had a commanding lead in the energy, legal and insurance industries, and its "adoption increased in transportation, government and retail and restaurants."

Apple's Numbers, Pages among Citrix's top enterprise apps

Citrix top 20 mobile apps

Apple's iWork apps aren't often recognized as "enterprise productivity software," but Citrix included Numbers and Pages (as well as Apple's iBooks) within its top twenty list of enterprise apps.

Numbers was the top spreadsheet and fourth most popular app overall, while Pages appeared to be the top word processing mobile app, ranked right behind iBooks at number ten. Apple's productivity titles were more popular than the competing Docs2Go or QuickOffice, a particularly notable fact given that Apple's apps are exclusive to iOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Now for feature parity between iOS and OS X, and to keep them 1:1 going forward.

• Reply 2 of 24

"McAfee stated that 97 percent of the mobile malware it discovered was "Android-based.""

Even allowing for estimation error,that just about says it all. image

• Reply 3 of 24
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    iOS isn't surprising but iWork is as I only tend to think of it as a Mac suite. I had no idea Apple refers to Pages and Numbers as iWork on the App Store.

It would be great if we see some major updates to Mac's iWork with the impending Mac Pro + Mac OS X 10.9 + AirPort updates.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Apple's Numbers and Pages were also cited at top productivity apps among enterprise users.

Apple's iWork apps aren't often recognized as "enterprise productivity software," but Citrix included Numbers and Pages (as well as Apple's iBooks) within its top twenty list of enterprise apps.

Numbers was the top spreadsheet and fourth most popular app overall, while Pages appeared to be the top word processing mobile app, ranked right behind iBooks at number ten. Apple's productivity titles were more popular than the competing Docs2Go or QuickOffice, a particularly notable fact given that Apple's apps are exclusive to iOS.

Boom.

• Reply 5 of 24
    ptramptram Posts: 58member
    Finally, once people discover the pleasure or working with fast and light apps, we will get rid of all that MS bloatware!
  • Reply 6 of 24
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Anyways, you are going to see the remote desktop on your tablets, and most of the enterprise machines are windows, it does not matter on which tablet you are accessing your desktop. It can be Windows Tablet or any other tablet.

If the entire desktop is shown in different way that is customized to a tablet environment, definitely iOS has good chance. But, Windows has the same chance as iOS as Microsoft can seamlessly integrate the Windows on Windows Tablet. I feel.

• Reply 7 of 24
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'm having unpleasant feelings about medical records being exposed on random Android devices lacking an up-to-date OS and patches! Maybe it's the thing where 7" and 8" tablets will fit in a lab coat. Mini to the rescue!
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Daniel is the best tech journalist working today. One paragraph in I recognize his method of diving deep for insight, then documenting the journey. I wish the fluff and lies that passes for journalism could be reformed and he shows the way.
  • Reply 9 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's Numbers and Pages were also cited at top productivity apps among enterprise users.

Boom.

Hey Quadra, anecdotal, I know. But I only use Pages and Numbers. And they're very easy and fun to use. As opposed to Word and Excel which are clunky and heavy. Not fun to use at all.

With iWork, it's the integration with Apple Mail and iPhoto that make them just a breeze! :)

I've bought every iteration (both OSX and iOS versions) and will continue to do so! :)

Best.

• Reply 10 of 24
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

I'm not surprised about the iOS adoption, nor the Android malware.

But I am surprised that iWork is proving popular when there are such limitations, e.g no page creation in landscape, and particularly the poor syncing with iCloud. Despite the fact I use iWork on my Mac, I find it more convenient to use Byte Squared Office2 with DropBox. It's just so clumsy with iOS iWork having different file formats. And also there's the having to use a drag-and-drop-to-browser window on the MacBook makes it a long way from an 'It just works' scenario. 

Get it sorted Apple, I'd to go back to using it - having paid for it!

• Reply 11 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptram View Post

Finally, once people discover the pleasure or working with fast and light apps, we will get rid of all that MS bloatware!

Bingo! :)

• Reply 12 of 24
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

While I appreciate good news for Apple, and it is good news, the article is a little bit misleading.

This report is not mainly about devices accessing corporate data and apps using Citrix receiver, but about devices enrolled using Citrix (formerly Zenprise's) XenMobile MDM solutions.

Which platforms does this product support: iOS, Android, Windows Mobile (not Windows Phone), BB up to 7 (but not 10), Symbian.

Out of these, Windows Mobile and Symbian are literally dead, companies deploying BBs are more likely to use BB's BES than an alternative solution, and die-hard Windows companies deploying WP7/8 devices are likely to use MS's InTune MDM solution (as no other solution really supports them).

In summary: MDM providers like Good Technology or Citrix only show a relevant statistic for two OSs (iOS and Android), but give no picture of how BB and WP are doing. While these are smaller players in general, their acceptance in businesses is proportionally higher.

• Reply 13 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

While I appreciate good news for Apple, and it is good news, the article is a little bit misleading.

So you decided to piss on it anyway.

• Reply 14 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

But I am surprised that iWork is proving popular when there are such limitations, e.g no page creation in landscape, and particularly the poor syncing with iCloud.

It is really not that surprising. The iWork apps are the most full featured office apps on iPhones and iPads, and support some functionality that is crucial in business use (like commenting and change tracking). There are also several businesses that would not allow employees to store corporate data on Dropbox.

Most companies using MDM solutions create application white lists and disable the installation of other apps. An Apple product is much more likely to be white-listed by an IT department, than some third-party app using a fourth-party cloud service... even if CYA is the driving factor here.

• Reply 15 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So you decided to piss on it anyway.

Well, setting some facts straight is not really "pissing". Considering that pretty much every Fortune 500 company has BES deployed, it is a simple fact that a provider specific statistic does not properly reflect the entire market... Nobody would e.g. try to determine Android's market share by doing spot checks in an Apple Store.

• Reply 16 of 24
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member

Quote:

Well, setting some facts straight is not really "pissing". Considering that pretty much every Fortune 500 company has BES deployed, it is a simple fact that a provider specific statistic does not properly reflect the entire market... Nobody would e.g. try to determine Android's market share by doing spot checks in an Apple Store.

BES is dying. Just look at BB's sales numbers if you don't believe these usage metrics. Another co-founder of the BB just quit/got fired today.

• Reply 17 of 24
    Ohhh Noooooo. How can this be Android is winning!
  • Reply 18 of 24

Very surprised at iWork building a following. Pages is OK but really not a serious word processing tool and Number is just awful. Keynote is actually awesome.

If Apple can lift the functionality of PAges and Numbers to be on par with the functionality of Word and Excel they would wipe the field. This save to iCloud and the loss of Save as is actually a real pain and actually forces me to stop using Pages for any other than the brochures (where it excels). 

• Reply 19 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    kevt wrote: »
    I'm not surprised about the iOS adoption, nor the Android malware.

But I am surprised that iWork is proving popular when there are such limitations, e.g no page creation in landscape, and particularly the poor syncing with iCloud. Despite the fact I use iWork on my Mac, I find it more convenient to use Byte Squared Office2 with DropBox. It's just so clumsy with iOS iWork having different file formats. And also there's the having to use a drag-and-drop-to-browser window on the MacBook makes it a long way from an 'It just works' scenario. 

Get it sorted Apple, I'd to go back to using it - having paid for it!

It is pretty amazing isnt it? Meanwhile the work around I've heard is to email yourself a landscape doc made and saved in Pages or Numbers ...( not sure about Keynote) on the Mac. Open it and save it as a template on the iPad. I am about to try this myself :)

It works even using iCloud. The doc opens on the iPad as a landscape no problem. The updating is almost instant with syncing via iCloud too. Type on the opened landscape Pages doc on the iPad and the text appears on the same doc open on the Mac.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

This report is not mainly about devices accessing corporate data and apps using Citrix receiver, but about devices enrolled using Citrix (formerly Zenprise's) XenMobile MDM solutions.

Which platforms does this product support: iOS, Android, Windows Mobile (not Windows Phone), BB up to 7 (but not 10), Symbian.

Out of these, Windows Mobile and Symbian are literally dead, companies deploying BBs are more likely to use BB's BES than an alternative solution, and die-hard Windows companies deploying WP7/8 devices are likely to use MS's InTune MDM solution (as no other solution really supports them).

In summary: MDM providers like Good Technology or Citrix only show a relevant statistic for two OSs (iOS and Android), but give no picture of how BB and WP are doing. While these are smaller players in general, their acceptance in businesses is proportionally higher.

That's useful to point out. Although, come now, nobody using BB10 yet (these figures are from the end of 2012, and WP8 is selling in quantities of 100,000 in a couple of these "leading countries." There is no hint that there is some hidden group of BB/WP8 selling well in the enterprise.