Apple said to drop Samsung, turn to Innolux for iPad mini displays

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Innolux Corp. may benefit from the ongoing strife between Samsung and Apple, as the iPad maker is said to be dropping the latter in favor of the former as a supplier of touch displays for its iPad mini.

mini

David Hsieh, NPD DisplaySearch Greater China region vice president, reportedly said on Thursday that Apple will rely at least in part on Innolux for touch panels in the next iPad mini.

"Innolux and China's Century Display will receive certificates for product qualification [from Apple] to supply [touch panels] for the iPad mini," Taipei Times quoted Hsieh as saying.

Earlier this week, Yang Chiu-lien, head of Innolux's touch panel division, said that the company will focus on smartphones and tablets this year, with a goal of shipping 7-inch screens within the year. Innolux already supplies touch panels for Apple's full-size iPads and has been doing so since 2008. The components the Taiwanese company produces this year are expected to feature its touch-on-display technology. Such tech would allow Apple to side-step some of the issues that affect the current "in-cell" display tech seen in the iPhone 5.

Meanwhile, DigiTimes cites Korean-based media reports claiming that Apple has not yet submitted ? and will not submit ? a request for quotation (RFQ) to Samsung Display for components. These media reports speculate that Apple will instead opt to source components from LG Display, Sharp, Japan Display, and AU Optronics for the iPad mini.

Even while the two companies compete in the courts and in the market, Apple has relied on Samsung as a supplier of a number of components in its best-selling products. As Samsung has developed into a fierce rival of Apple, the iPhone maker has sought to diversify its suppliers, so as not to contribute to the bottom line of its competitor and to keep Samsung from becoming privy to Apple's plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Any info on the key engineering or physical differences between in-cell and touch-on displays?

Innolux already supplies touch panels for Apple's full-size iPads and has been doing so since 2008.

FYI: This is quite feasible as Apple would had to source and test components long before they were in stores.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Ditching the incumbent, I hope this doesn't turn into another maps fiasco.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    I say as long as there are other options out there that can provide Apple with the scale needed then it is in their best interest to cut all ties possible with Samsung. Why pay for the bullets being fired at you?
  • Reply 4 of 43

I doubt it. This isn't even remotely the same.

• Reply 5 of 43
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    [QUOTE] "Apple has not yet submitted - and will not submit - a request for quotation (RFQ) to Samsung Display for components. ... to keep Samsung from becoming privy to Apple's plans." [/QUOTE]

Economics aside, it's obviously in Apple's best interest to keep their product roadmap a secret. From Samsung and everyone else who competes against them. But especially Samsung.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Maybe this is why certain analysts are claiming that Apple is cutting back its orders for iPad screens (and extrapolating that into lower sales forecasts like a bunch of gossipy junior high school kids.)  Because said analysts don't have any informants at Innolux.

• Reply 7 of 43
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Apple needs to drop all Samsung quicker. Get cracking on Memory, CPU, SSD, and all displays from Samsung

• Reply 8 of 43
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Bye bye Samsung, the sooner the better.

The lack of anything significantly new in the new Samsung S4 indicates they missed Apple's latest ideas.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Bye bye Samsung, the sooner the better.

The lack of anything significantly new in the new Samsung S4 indicates they missed Apple's latest ideas.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wordone View Post

Ditching the incumbent, I hope this doesn't turn into another maps fiasco.

Posts like this annoy the crap out of me. Just plain stupid.

• Reply 11 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I stopped reading after I saw "DigiTimes".
  • Reply 12 of 43
    lkrupp wrote: »

Because it's FUD. As in: zero information content.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Buh-buh-buh... Apple can't possibly make iphones without Samsung components. A fandroid told me.

Or maybe they can.

Oh well, Samsung - don't let the door hit you on the way out of your biggest customer's office.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Buh-buh-buh... Apple can't possibly make iphones without Samsung components. A fandroid told me.

Or maybe they can.

Oh well, Samsung - don't let the door hit you on the way out of your biggest customer's office.

just wait and see.

• Reply 15 of 43
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Apple's next hire should be Kim Jong Un. Open up a can of Kim Chee whup-ass on them.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I noticed a report on the BBC web site today that South Korea was experiencing a slow down in their economy. I couldn't help but wonder how much of that might be due to Apple pulling business away from Scamsung.

On a slightly off topic Scamsung related thing ... I bought a high end Scamsung fridge a few months back. I was billed immediately. It arrived six weeks later. A freezer drawer handle was broken. I am now into the fourth week waiting for a replacement and am told it will still be a few more weeks.... I realize I am being punished for disloyalty by the Apple gods. ;).
  • Reply 17 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Go over to MacRumors some time and read all the posts from people complaining that displays other than Samsung's are crap.  There sure seems to be this thought that the only good displays in Apple products are ones from Samsung.  Not sure how accurate it is.

• Reply 18 of 43
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

I listened to an interesting radio news show about Samsung's history of leveraging its way into markets by first becoming a parts supplier then using information gained from customers to compete against their customers. They did the same thing to Sony in the mid 90s with TV panels as they are doing to Apple now with smart phone components.

The guy being interviewed had gone to Samsung headquarters to do research and thought the environment to be oddly dystopian, with constant prerecorded "announcements" from executives played over the PA system. They had set up a complete replica of a Frankfurt hotel room where one executive had announced some product in the headquarters, like a museum exhibit.

Weird stuff.

• Reply 19 of 43
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Go over to MacRumors some time and read all the posts from people complaining that displays other than Samsung's are crap.  There sure seems to be this thought that the only good displays in Apple products are ones from Samsung.  Not sure how accurate it is.
    Macrumors is really Droidrumors now. The Appe supporters are out numbered 5:1. Theres a new article about iPad ads. The first 8 post were anti-apple.
  • Reply 20 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Macrumors is really Droidrumors now. The Appe supporters are out numbered 5:1. Theres a new article about iPad ads. The first 8 post were anti-apple.

Tell fandroids that you are ready to pay for whatever device they want to own ipad or any other tablet- They will select ipad 128GB lol 

Poor people (yeah poor because they cannot afford apple ecosystem) and aapl stock bashers at these levels are getting desperate :)