Facebook to reportedly unveil iOS competitor at April event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a highly suggestive invitation to an April 4 event sent out on Thursday, Facebook welcomes media to "Come See Our New Home On Android," hinting the social networking monolith will finally reveal a much-rumored purpose-built operating system.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, TechCrunch says the Facebook OS will be a platform built on Android, with deep integration possibly baked into an HTC-manufactured smartphone. Speculation of a true Facebook-developed phone have been floating around for some time, though such a device has yet to appear.

According to sources, the unannounced mobile solution won't be a complete rewrite of Android, but a "flavor" with high-level Facebook integration and a UI reminiscent of the company's iOS app. Rumors point to easy account access throughout the system, including the possibility of a home screen with news feed updates and access to Facebook-connected apps.

The publication notes additional clues regarding the presentation's schedule hint to a substantial announcement, as the April 4 event begins at 10 a.m. Pacific with shuttles heading back to San Francisco leaving Facebook's Menlo Park headquarters three hours later.

The company has recently bolstered its Messenger and flagship Facebook for iOS apps to support VoIP calling in North America and parts of Europe, possibly in an effort to create a strong communications base on which to launch the new OS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    nope. still holding out for the pets.com phone/os/bidet.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is getting ridiculous. I can at least understand why Amazon, who has had the Kindle for years, and Mozilla would want to make a mobile OS, but Facebook is just a bit daft. Who's next, Dropbox OS and GoDaddy OS?
  • Reply 3 of 105
    How does is compute to an Facebook OS? Secondly, what would it even mean? Like Solipsismx said, every service will have their OS.
  • Reply 4 of 105
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is getting ridiculous. I can at least understand why Amazon, who has had the Kindle for years, and Mozilla would want to make a mobile OS, but Facebook is just a bit daft. Who's next, Dropbox OS and GoDaddy OS?

Their problem on mobile is revenue generation. So perhaps they have decided the only way to control this and not give up any revenue to Apple is to *own* the OS.

On a side note, this will vindicate MG Siegler, who has been predicting a Facebook smartphone as long as Gene Munster has been telling us about an Apple TV.

• Reply 5 of 105
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Well, maybe their "new home on Android" is just a new Android app. I'd very much doubt they'd release anything branded "Android" because that would mean sharing all their user data with Google.

• Reply 6 of 105
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    A phone using Google AND Facebook technology? A privacy dream come true!
  • Reply 7 of 105

Their problem on mobile is revenue generation. So perhaps they have decided the only way to control this and not give up any revenue to Apple is to *own* the OS.

On a side note, this will vindicate MG Siegler, who has been predicting a Facebook smartphone as long as Gene Munster has been telling us about an Apple TV.

I understand their motivation, I just don't understand how they think has a chance of succeeding.

PS: This reminds me of when I was 8yo and tried to build an airplane with my tool kit that consisted of a saw, hammer, screwdriver and some nails. Not a model airplane, mind you, but one that I could fly around the neighborhood. The wings were shorter than arms outstretched with no aerodynamic features to create lift on the wings or a means of propulsion.
  • Reply 8 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

How does is compute to an Facebook OS? Secondly, what would it even mean? Like Solipsismx said, every service will have their OS.

...and this is how the Android crumbles.

• Reply 9 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

It was pretty obvious this was coming eventually, what with FB buying up so many talented small shops. Oh yeah, I hate Facebook.

I know what they should called it: adOS

• Reply 10 of 105
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Quote:

Facebook MUST find a way to start making money. So this makes perfect sense,

There are those who live most of their lives on Facebook. What better way to enable them than to give them a Facebook integrated phone, that leverages their friends and family contacts directly into the phone directory? This might actually be the shot in the arm Facebook has been looking for ...

• Reply 11 of 105
    ireland wrote: »
    I know what they should called it: adOS

The way I see social media sites it should be called Fad OS.
  • Reply 12 of 105

Quote:

The way I see social media sites it should be called Fad OS.

Yes, it's a fad, but it's got 1B users. Facebook has a fair lock in going on. Their platform idea worked a bit too well.

• Reply 13 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Facebook MUST find a way to start making money.

They are making money.

• Reply 14 of 105
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »

It's just going to be another forked version of Android. Question is are they going to have their own app store like Amazon?
  • Reply 15 of 105

Quote:

As much as I hate Facebook, and I hate them a lot, your argument is abysmal. Facebook is already a platform and lots on people literally spend their lives on Facebook. A Facebook OS for mobile devices? Shock horror. This is as predicable as things come. A forking Android was another no brainier.

• Reply 16 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's just going to be another forked version of Android. Question is are they going to have their own app store like Amazon?

They probably will.

• Reply 17 of 105
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, maybe their "new home on Android" is just a new Android app. I'd very much doubt they'd release anything branded "Android" because that would mean sharing all their user data with Google.

Color me skeptical, too.

When you fork Android, it's not officially Android anymore, afaik. For example, does Amazon mention Android much? 

Second, regardless of what this is, why tip the Android hand at all? Perhaps this is a a collaboration between the two companies.

Third, Facebook is too smart to go down a path where they control only a fraction (however large) of the smartphone market, and risk being irrelevant in the rest. It doesn't make sense even if they take over Samsung's entire marketshare of Android. This is more likely an Android offering that will be available to all/most Android phones.

One more guess - Andy Rubin has given up reins of Android. Perhaps Google is handing them over to Zuckerberg. ;)

• Reply 18 of 105
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ireland wrote: »
    They are making money.

I think he meant on mobile. Last I checked there aren't any ads on FB's mobile apps. More and more people are solely using Facebook on their mobile devices which was supposed to supplement desktop usage not replace it.
  • Reply 19 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

RotoRooter 1.0... It's the shits!

• Reply 20 of 105
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Oh great, my two favorite things combined and rolled up into one beautiful and highly effective synergy, Facebook and Android.image

I can't stand either Facebook or Android, my dislike for both of them combined can not be described by mere words.image

And who would hire somebody with a Facebook phone? That tells you right there that the person is a real loser, somebody who probably can't go more than a few minutes without checking in on all of the "action" that is taking place in their fake, virtual world. It sounds highly unproductive.