Apple's 'iRadio' to reportedly launch this summer, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a report regarding the overall state of web streaming music, otherwise known as web radio, a music industry executive told The Verge that Apple's entry into the sector is not a matter of if, but when.

According to The Verge's report, Apple will launch its own web radio service dubbed "iRadio" this year, and is supposedly looking to rollout the system this summer.

The publication goes on to say "multiple" music industry insiders have claimed Apple has made significant progress toward securing streaming rights from Universal and Warner, two important labels representing numerous popular artists.

"iRadio is coming. There's no doubt about it anymore," one of the sources said.

iTunes

It was reported earlier in March that the launch of Apple's as-yet-unannounced service has been held up by royalty rate negotiations. Apple reportedly offered to pay 6 cents per 100 songs streamed to content owners, which is half the 12 cents per 100 songs music streaming powerhouse Pandora pays.

Record labels believe Apple should pay the rate set by the Copyright Royalty Board for companies that don't own broadcast operations, which comes out to about about 21 cents per 100 songs. That is still lower than the 36-cent rate Spotify reportedly pays out and in line with terrestrial radio-backed iHeart, which pays 22 cents per 100 tracks.

While there has been no official word from Apple regarding a so-called "iRadio," much attention has been given to the iTunes maker's entry into the segment. In September of last year, the Wall Street Journal broke news that work was being done on an Apple-branded custom music streaming solution similar to Pandora. At the time, it was thought that Apple would leverage its significant music related resources and vast installed user base to drive interest for the service, which would possibly be integrated into a new or existing iOS app.

Backing up the theory are "Radio Buy" user interface buttons found in the iOS 6.1 update, suggesting the tech giant is looking to make a move in the near future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Does Apple really need to get into streaming radio?

They seem more and more like Microsoft as "me too" and going beyond their core competency.

Just like maps and cloud services.

They need to focus on what they are good at and try not to be good at everything.

• Reply 2 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"iRadio is coming. There's no doubt about it anymore," one of the sources said.

So when it doesn't, you'll resign and let others publicly humiliate you?

Didn't think so.

• Reply 3 of 45
    I'm a big Apple fan...but I sure hope it's a better implementation than the recent Podcasts App.

Granted, I'm not totally sync'd in with iCloud...I'm running an orig. intel iMac with SL and an iP4s...

But sheesh, I'm getting so many duplicate podcasts that when I delete them they keep coming back...

And it will say it's today's podcast but keeps playing last week's. Ugh!

Again, could be I'm not running Lion. Yet! :)
  • Reply 4 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Seems like hear this at least once a year....

I would actually like some kind of spotify type setup with iOS and would be free (w/ads). I refuse to pay to steam music!

• Reply 5 of 45
    pfisher wrote: »

They seem more and more like Microsoft as "me too" and going beyond their core competency.

They need to focus on what they are good at and try not to be good at everything.

I usually don't publicly comments on things like this but I had to break the silence when reading this comment.
    Apple started off as a computer company. May I remind you that Apple's original corprate name was Apple Computer Inc. Apple moved away from it's core business ( or what it was good at, at the time ) when releasing the very first iPod! Apple moved farther away when releasing the iPhone, amd even further when releasing the iPad.
    Apple and Microsoft are both very innovative companies, but Apple will never be Microsoft and Microsft will never be Apple.
    Both iCloud and Apple Maps are a work in progress, Apple is working hard everyday to improve all it's services for it's customers!
  • Reply 6 of 45

Look out, Sirius... Siri is on her way, and now she's singing!

• Reply 7 of 45
    bizzarebizzare Posts: 62member
    pfisher wrote: »

It's an extention to all other content they offer. I would subscribe in a heart beat.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "iRadio" reminds me I sure wish Apple had included an FM-radio chip on the iPhone. I'd rather listen to regular radio than drain my battery and data plan with streaming audio. I happen to actually get out of the house occasionally. :/
  • Reply 9 of 45

Can they actually call it iRadio? http://www.iradio.com/

• Reply 10 of 45
    Title is redundant ... Reportedly ..., says report. Just FYI.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It's just a new way to sell existing products (music). It's something a marketing guy would come up with, rather than a proper technical innovation. I am looking forward to the next "insanely great" product.

• Reply 12 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's just a new way to sell existing products (music). It's something a marketing guy would come up with, rather than a proper technical innovation. I am looking forward to the next "insanely great" product.

Nice to know you know exactly what it is despite knowing absolutely nothing about it whatsoever.

• Reply 13 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nice to know you know exactly what it is despite knowing absolutely nothing about it whatsoever.

I guess it's always possible that I lack imagination, and there's some insanely great world beating thing that can be done around, errr..., streaming music.

• Reply 14 of 45
    Two things I think work in Apple's favor for a lower price.

First, the sheer size of iTunes and the number of people willing to buy from iTunes. That customer base leads to point two.

The ease that they can integrate. I know some other services have click to buy in iTunes but this could literally be seemless. Wouldn't even need to leave the app. Instantly in you iTunes library. Would result in a higher purchases.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Well I got all excited when I thought iRadio would be a real radio from Apple.

How nice if it could handle AM, FM and WiFi all in one small box. 

I'd definitely be a buyer as we need to replace our 70s radio.

But just streaming radio music to a computing device?  

OK, but not enough to really excite me.

• Reply 16 of 45
    I will be waiting for it with great interest. I'm currently a Slacker Radio subscriber, but if Apple's iRadio can also stream offline, have a wider choice of songs to listen to, and have professional curation (just like a professional DJ on a conventional radio station), I will signup with them in a heartbeat!
  • Reply 17 of 45
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikmanshah View Post

[...] (just like a professional DJ on a conventional radio station)

This is where I lose the plot trying to figure out why I might want a streaming music service. I already get radio, for free, out of the air. Several different formats. If the model is to mimic "conventional radio," why not just listen to conventional radio? What's the advantage of streaming over receiving?

• Reply 18 of 45
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I hope Apple has a clever idea to make this good for indie musicians that won't get 1.000.000.000 plays. Streaming is the death of royalties for indie musicians and good for big labels. It's too easy not to purchase a song or album once you've got streaming.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    v5v wrote: »
    This is where I lose the plot trying to figure out why I might want a streaming music service. I already get radio, for free, out of the air. Several different formats. If the model is to mimic "conventional radio," why not just listen to conventional radio? What's the advantage of streaming over receiving?

The only advantages I could find right now are:
    1) There are no ads, so I spend more time listening to actual music rather than companies pitching their case on why listeners need to buy their stuff.
    2) I can skip songs, so when the currently playing song is not what I like, I can just go to the next one in the list.
    3) I can continue listening to a song even though I stopped halfway. Can't do that with normal live radio.
    4) I can download & listen to the stations offline. So I can still continue listening to songs even in areas of poor radio & Internet receptions.
    5) I can create my own song playlist. Granted, this is an extra feature which costs more on Slacker Radio. Not sure how they would handle this in Apple iRadio when it surfaces later on.

I did have the same thoughts, why pay when free is available. But after trying it out for a few weeks, I feel very reluctant to go back to the old model of radio & forfeiting the 4 benefits I mentioned above.

It is a personal choice anyway, but I do hope it gains a lot of traction. Without customer support, I don't think the trend of streaming radio can last very long.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Ho hmmm, maybe i just don't get it but is there a need being filled here that otherwise is not being served at the moment?