Editorial: Where does Apple take iOS next?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 163
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublej2119 View Post

I think iOS 7 will be huge.

Not a chance. The new mantra for anything coming from Apple is "yawnnnn." From tech blogs to stock analysts, to the troll cadre right here on AI, nothing Apple does anymore is worth a plug nickel. The troll talking point of "iOS feels old and stale" has permeated the tech universe. You read it on every blog, a falsehood that has taken on a life of its own and has become true by simple repetition.

All you have to do is look at @ ankleskater's reply to your post. It's all a big joke now to these types.

• Reply 22 of 163
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

To me it's obvious that Apple has been working on something big for iOS since the last few years. 

There are a few core features that require some heavy changes to iOS. 

Multi-user, instant app-switching, spilt-screen multi-tasking, direct inter-application communication are all features that would be better implemented in a separate branch of iOS because they require major changes in the same areas of iOS foundations.

This separate branch of iOS probably ended up taking much more time to complete than it was planned. My guess is that iOS 5 was originally supposed to be that one, and they missed the iOS 6 release too and used it instead to get Siri and Maps out of the way before the next big change which will presumably happen in iOS 7.

Edit: Note that these changes may still have to wait another year and come in the form of iOS 8.

• Reply 23 of 163
    Darn. Am I the only one that thinks that the Cube is one of the greatest pieces of Apple hardware I've ever owned? :-/
  • Reply 24 of 163
    kdarling wrote: »
    Wonder if we will ever find out what Steve Jobs' revelation was, on how to make TV easier to use.

Yes, we will.
  • Reply 25 of 163
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Now that iOS has drop-down notifications, obviously the next step will be to add widgets. :)

I agree. Weather would be a good place to start, maybe stocks, for those interested in that kind of stuff.

I don't know about Facebook or Twitter updates or how much battery power that would use up in an hour's time.

• Reply 26 of 163
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member

Daniel, 

I always enjoy reading your stuff. I can't say that I always agree with you but unlike other bloggers, you put some thought in yours.

• Reply 27 of 163
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    Steve jobs said a few years before his death that Apple was in its DNA a Software company that made hardware.

I will go with what he said.
  • Reply 28 of 163
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    I have a Apple Hi Fi, still great like the AppleTV works very well using it everyday I would like to get a new speaker system, but the Hi Fi just continues to excel, the Geek press has moved on and thinks of the AppleTv (sales have doubled every year), Apple Hi Fi, Siri or Apple Maps as flops (because they say so), but they all work very well in comparison to similar products released by other companies. But Apple continues to make Siri, Maps, and AppleTv better with each revision.
  • Reply 29 of 163
    Darn. Am I the only one that thinks that the Cube is one of the greatest pieces of Apple hardware I've ever owned? :-/
    Certainly one of the most beautiful computers still to this day IMHO. I never owned one, but even as recent as last year was thinking of picking one up as an art piece.
  • Reply 30 of 163
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    You want us to judge the greatest piece of Apple hardware you've ever owned?
  • Reply 31 of 163
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member

I'm pretty sure it was Airplay.  Which is fantastic but one needs the AppleTV and a wifi connection (with both devices on the same wifi network).  I would love to know if there is a way to create an ad hoc network from an iOS device and use it with a AppleTV on the road?   I do a lot of presenting it would replace PC projectors (and the associated wires) for presentations.

There is much, much more that can be done with Airplay going forward....

• Reply 32 of 163
    gatorguy wrote: »
    For the entire weekend? Probably 2 max.

The article doesn't spend enough time dissing Apple competitors, instead staying on topic for the most part, so no one really cares enough to comment.;)

Thanks for the predictably lame comment. Your narcissism always seems to escape you (but it certainly doesn't escape others).

Moving on.. As an avid fan of Apple and Apple products, this has been another very enjoyable article, both in outlining future product expectations, and in putting Apple in perspective among the belligerent anti apple rhetoric in the media at large.

I very much hope Apple does both, make an "iWatch" as well as open up space for further 3rd party hardware integration.

As for iOS, the notifications are good, but please give us a swipe up feature to access multitasking bar along with control panel (Bluetooth, wifi, brightness..) and possibly the widgets that people seem so fond of. Also, please improve siri's basic functionality. For example, when it can't understand my basic command to "call John," and it gives me several options, allow me to say, "call the third one," instead of forcing me to select one by touch, or have to repeat the name again, perpetuating a vicious cycle.
  • Reply 33 of 163
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

What a mess of an editorial.  I thought it was supposed to be about iOS?  But I don't see any ideas or wishes for iOS going forward.  FAIL.

Personally I'd like to see:

*Re-designed UI that removes the ugly, and removes the unnecessary and ornamental kitsch.  I'm not saying copy Windows Phone 8 or Android, but there's a lot of well designed 3rd party apps on iOS that Apple could take cues from.

*Guest/Family user accounts (seems like a no-brainer to me)

*The ability for people to select default apps for mail, maps,  browsing etc.

*I'd like to see Siri become more predictive rather than me always having to ask it for information.  For instance if the traffic was really bad or there was an accident on the road I take to/from work, I'd love Siri to provide a notification warning me that traffic will be bad and providing an alternate route If necessary.

*Better 3rd party integration with iCloud and Siri; better use of Siri for common tasks.

*More actionable notification center, and quicker access to most commonly used settings - wi-fi, Bluetooth, brightness, etc.

*I'd love an intelligent way for wi-fi to turn on and off on my phone.  For example when I get to the office my iPhone automatically turns off wi-fi an then turns it back on again when I leave the office. Many times I've caught myself doing something non work related on company wi-fi, because I forgot to turn it off.

*Ability to turn off automatic loading of web pages as mobile or tablet.  I'm sure some will argue desktop versions of websites suck on mobile devices but a lot of the mobile versions are crap and don't provide all the functionally of a desktop site.  Plus it's a pain in the ass to have to locate the desktop version link (assuming the site had one). Just let me turn off that setting in Safari.

*A better way of organizing and managing apps.  Ability to move Newsstand into a folder.

*Better AppStore curation; improved AppStore and iTunes UI.

I'm sure there's lots I'm forgetting but this would be a good start IMO.

• Reply 34 of 163
    poke wrote: »
    I want the following:

- app interoperability
    - shared files in iCloud
    - iWork update taking advantage of the above
    - XCode on iOS
    - displays with built-in AirPlay support

I want to be able to throw my Mac in the trash.
    It will be interesting to see how they bring more functionality to iOS over the years as the hardware gets more powerful. I'm hoping the multi-user comes sooner rather than later. They could restrict this to the iPad, but I think it could even be handy on the iPhone.
  • Reply 35 of 163
    Apple Store for third party hardware? Currently very limiting and far too expensive, unpolished and lack of entries. Apple should better these to succeed.
  • Reply 36 of 163
    redmanredman Posts: 15member
    Computers were stagnate? Phones have reached an app saturation point? Apple needs a new golden child? You lost me on those points!
    Personally, I would like to see some useful widgets... for all my Apple devices...
    Not intended to belittle your comments just totally taken back by them. I guess we see things completely different; people are like that you know...
  • Reply 37 of 163
    sirromsirrom Posts: 32member

I believe there is a good reason we have not had an announcement about OS X 10.9 yet. I strongly suspect that the integration between it an iOS 7 will be deep, so Apple cannot show off one without tipping their hand to the other. I therefore surmise that we will not see either until WWDC in June, with both of them scheduled to ship in the Fall (Sept/Oct). That will also be when the new MacPro and iPads will ship. The iPhone 6 will be announced at WWDC and delivered this summer (July) and be hardware-ready for the some of the new features coming in iOS 7 that only it can run. Apple will sell millions of phones immediately on iterative improvements to hardware and the promise of even more features once iOS 7 ships. Classic Apple.

• Reply 38 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Now that iOS has drop-down notifications, obviously the next step will be to add widgets. :)

When someone finds an actual use for a widget then maybe they will. I have yet to find an Android user give me an example if a useful widget despite repeatedly asking.

• Reply 39 of 163
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Certainly one of the most beautiful computers still to this day IMHO. I never owned one, but even as recent as last year was thinking of picking one up as an art piece.

A little bigger Cube would have been perfect, the shape is very efficient if used right.

• Reply 40 of 163
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    When someone finds an actual use for a widget then maybe they will. I have yet to find an Android user give me an example if a useful widget despite repeatedly asking.

That's getting more in the spirit: Throw an Android comment if you want to encourage more replies. 3 pages might not be unrealistic if we don't have to stay on-topic.

Personally I think it might be one release too soon to see a major influence by Mr. Ive, but I do expect to see some important changes, yes perhaps including "widgets". Anyway, Apple has way too much engineering talent to be left behind by any competing mobile platform. They're going to deliver some surprises.