Briefly: Tim Cook's high school years revealed in yearbook photos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A few pictures of Tim Cook were posted online this weekend, offering a glimpse at the Apple CEO's freshman and sophomore years at Robertsdale High School in Alabama.

Tim Cook
Source: Reddit user "whitbaker" via imgur.

Reddit user "whitbaker" unearthed the photos from the 1975 and 1976 editions of yearbooks belonging to her mother, who was two years older than Cook when he attended Robertsdale High.

Tim Cook

The chief executive was part of the yearbook staff in 1976, the same year the Redditor's mother served as editor of the annual. She spoke highly of Cook and followed his career through the years, being "quite proud" of the small Alabama town's claim to fame, "whitbaker" wrote.

Tim Cook

One of the photos shows Cook was twice voted "Most Studious," making the "Who's Who" list in both his freshman and sophomore years. Another picture has Cook posing with an award he won for the school's "optimist oratorical contest."

Tim Cook

According to "whitbaker," Cook worked for her grandfather's pharmacy while in high school and his parents still do business with the establishment.

Tim Cook

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Not a joke at all, but a good April Fool's Day posting. A nice little bit of humor. Gotta love that hair.

• Reply 2 of 16
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Big fan of Tim Cook, not surprised that he made the Who's Who... though I find the 'most likely to succeed' categories in these assessments quite 'hit and miss'.

• Reply 3 of 16
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not a joke at all, but a good April Fool's Day posting. A nice little bit of humor. Gotta love that hair.

It's the disco look.  Very popular amongst the children.

• Reply 4 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They got the "most likely to succeed" chart wrong, didn't they?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Stanley who?

Oh, I get it. Must be Stanley Kubrick. lol.

• Reply 6 of 16
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Yeah, well plenty of most likely to succeed high schoolers went on to discover a new universe of drugs in college. What's the real definition of 'success'?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

LOL!

Now THAT gave me a laugh!

Not a young Tim Cook, but Timmy Cook (or is that 'Tim Cook Mini'?)

Who would have thought that this young adonis would go on to run one of the most unique companies in the world...

• Reply 8 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Nonsense. It's well known Tim Cook was born looking 50, because robots don't go to school.

• Reply 9 of 16
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Fun to see the old pictures. A geeky guy at my high school who was never voted most-likely for any category became a real estate billionaire. You never know who will make it big.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    ah... the good ole days; when kids were alert, and were not Pacified by Facebook...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Stanley who?

Oh, I get it. Must be Stanley Kubrick. lol.

Except Kubrick is from an entirely different (older) generation. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Fun to see the old pictures. A geeky guy at my high school who was never voted most-likely for any category became a real estate billionaire. You never know who will make it big.

Anyone can make money if they try hard enough.  I don't think it's really the kind of accomplishment they are talking about when people pick "most likely to succeed" categories.  I'm pretty sure they would have been trying to pick the dreamers, the scientists, artists and writers, etc. You know, People who were going to accomplish something, not just the bankers and highwaymen of the world.  

• Reply 12 of 16
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Looks like gazoobie gets the "most likely to take things seriously" award. :-)
  • Reply 13 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    It would be amusing to see regulars (and irregulars) posting pictures of themselves in this thread...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member

Struck me when I saw the article title that had it been Steve I would have looked. Maybe that's the Apple CEO situation microcosm. You don't get to be legendary (or click bait) by virtue of sitting in the chair. Not his fault, just the way it is. 

• Reply 15 of 16
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    He looks just like mark zuckerberg
  • Reply 16 of 16
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Struck me when I saw the article title that had it been Steve I would have looked. Maybe that's the Apple CEO situation microcosm. You don't get to be legendary (or click bait) by virtue of sitting in the chair. Not his fault, just the way it is. 

Yet you post?  Huh?  Get outta here...